Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 14th, 2000, 09:02 PM
First Mate

Default NORWAY 1/13

We're on it for the first time next month. Any tips, thoughts, suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2000, 04:18 AM
intrepid

Default RE: NORWAY 1/13

Tips? Suggestions???

Other than I am sure you will love it? Well, in short, do all you can!!! My partner and I were aboard in July 00 and are returning in Feb 01. If I may humbly suggest, if you havent already, read my review of the Norway on this site. It is pretty comprehensive.

What I may not have mentioned in my review was the gay angle.... I found that we were treated exceptionally well by the mostly gay or gay-friendly staff. I could not have asked for more. Look out for Patty Honaki, she is great. Also, Torrance Turner, tho I think he may have transferred to another NCL ship.

There is so much to do, it would take a week to write it all out. There are so many activities on board, you would never have to get off at the islands, but I dont suggest that.

We really enjoyed the Kon-Tiki raft party in St Thomas... Lots o' rum punch, and great music.

I hope this helps a little. If you have specific questions, post them or email me and I will do my best to answer them....

Best of luck, and enjoy your cruise....

Intrepid
Old December 15th, 2000, 07:56 AM
First Mate

Intrepid:

Many thanx; enjoyed the review. Likewise flying in a couple of nights before so appreciate the "board early" info.

Presume you're going in February w/Pied Piper. Any thoughts on group vs non-group experience? We've done both - apart from the parties, never noticed any difference in how one's treated but did enjoy all the extra invites under the door.

Is it possible to eat in Le Bistro every night? Advisable?

Is the spa pass worth the $55?

Is the tender thing truly horrible (long lines, etc?)

Wine/booze prices? (High, low?) Wine stewards? (Yes/no?) Do they confiscate any liquor brought on board?

Cabin upkeep? (Booked into old first class cabin - "A" grade on Norway deck - does the A/C work?)

Any/all info/opinions gratefully accepted.

Tom
Old December 17th, 2000, 02:21 AM
intrepid

Hey Tom,

Yes we are going with Pied Piper in Feb ( couldnt resist the price ). I cannot compare group vs. non group, as this will be the first gay cruise for us. I know that we felt very well taken care of in July, on a mainstream (straight) cruise. I am excited to see what will be offered. I will attempt to answer your questions ...

1. It is possible to eat in Le Bistro every night, but you must call daily for reservations. I only ate there once, and it was great. Many people complain that the service is slow, but I dont think that they realize that Le Bistro is cook to order, so your food must actually be prepared at that time rather than ahead of time like in the dining rooms. There is a fee ( "cover" ), it was $5 when I went in July, but I here that it is $10 pp now. I also am under the impression that the menu does not change thru the week, so there would probably be only 3-4 choices on the menu, so that would not last the week. The dining rooms are just as good as Le Bistro, and the menu changes. Le Bistro, is an alternative, and more intimate. I would strongly suggest going once or twice, but the whole week, I personally would not. Plus there is so many choices, you may have a hard time deciding.

2. I did not get the Spa pass, but from what I hear, it is sooo worth it. I may do it in Feb. From what I understand, you get use of the hot tub ( w/ no kids ), sauna and a few other perks I cannot think of. I did not know about it on our last trip, so I will be looking into specifics when we go back.

3. I was prepared for the worst when it came to tendering, so I was unfazed. Again some people complained, but then again, if they were served fruit on a gold platter, they would complain if the gold wasnt shiny enough, you know??? It is not THAT bad. Your best bet is to get to the North Cape Lounge 15-30 mins before they hand out the tender tickets. Sit at the end of the dance floor on the corner, that is where they hand out the tickets. The tickets are coded by NCL ship names (ie Sky, Dream etc) then whent they call your ticket, you go down whichever stairtower to the tenders... ( sometimes it is better to go down an adjacent stairtower and go down the hall ie if you are called to go down stairtower 6, go down 5 instead and proceed aft and join the line.) But it dont matter if you are the first on the tender or the last, you will all leave at the same time. At St Maarten and St Thomas, try to get on the top level of the tender, they get off first. At Great Stirrup Cay, get on the bottom level of the tender, that is where you exit. Another way to get an early tender is to purchase excursions for the morning, then you get to be on the first one! We did that in St John, (got up at 5:30!)

4. Liqour prices - well it depends on what you are used to.... ( some say they are high others dont ) I found them quite reasonable... I live in Baltimore, so my usual drink prices may be higher than say, Keokuk Iowa.... Drinks averaged 3.00-3.50. I got a bucket o' beer (Coors Light) 4 beers and a bottle koozie for $10, I know I cant buy a bottle of beer in B'more for 2.50! Now there are some more expensive things like Fosters Lager, and Top Shelf Drinks... and of course there are the drinks in Souvenier glasses that are pricey. And I am sure you know, you gotta sign for everything.... The wine stewards are basically drink stewards in the dining rooms, they get all drinks that are purchased. Their tips are included in the drink price.

I Bought liqour on St Maarten and St Thomas ( very cheap!!). At St Maarten, I willingly gave it to them at the pier. In St Thomas, AH Riise will ship them to the ship for you. All those purchases are held until Fri night... I have heard that it is very easy to sneak stuff on board, they do not scan your bags at the islands, nor do they frisk you ( stick it in your beach bag or wrap it in a towel). If you wanna get some in Miami, pack it well, (in bubble wrap) and put in your checked luggage, they WILL Xray your carry on and could take it. Knowing what I know now, I will be bringing liqour with me from Miami, and possibly from St Maarten (Guavaberry!!!!). On our last cruise we won these big sport bottles, so I will bring them back ( you can buy them too) and mix drinks in my room, then sip on my bottle, and save some dough.... well it will help a little bit....

5. Cabins - Again wildly differing opinions... I look at is as, I spend about 20% of my time there ( if that )... I was in a smaller cabin in July, our steward was fantastic. ( Funny story - we had not even seen him, and on the 2nd morning of the cruise, he was to deliver something to our room, and he saw Tony in the hall and stopped him and gave it to him... at first Tony did not even know who he was... I found that pretty impressive.) I hear that the rooms you got are still very nice, though I did not see them myself. They are supposed to be in pretty good shape. In my opinion, my cabin was small, but more than sufficient for what I needed it for. It was alway kept very clean and neat. The cabin steward was great. What else can you ask for? The AC is generally good... in my room, I thought it was a little too warm for me, but that may have been the room, or the location. I was never sweating, but I didnt need a blanket either... in the public areas it varies, tending more on the cool side. A few rooms can get warm ie North Cape (big windows open all day) the disco can get warm, but what good club doesnt?

Well, I hope I was not toooooo verbose... I hope this is helpful. Any other questions, I will gladly answer.... ( puts me in the mood to cruise )

Take care, and I will check back for any other questions....

Intrepid
Old January 3rd, 2001, 05:34 PM
Warren

Intrepid,

I hope you realize that the cruise you are on is in fact a "mainstream" cruise (I prefer to call it publicly offered) and that you are only part of a small group aboard. Pied Piper does a nice job and offers cocktail parties and other group events. However the majority of your fellow passengers and activities will be exactly as you experienced before.

Warren
Old January 4th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Intrepid

Warren
Thank you, but I am fully aware that this is a group cruise. I know that probably less than 10% will be "family" but, as I said in my post and my review - we had a great time and completly enjoyed our cruise. This is our first gay-group cruise and are excited at the possiblities.

Thank you for your response.

Intrepid