Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Skipbear

Default First Cruise, Carnvial Fantasy looking for advice

Hi,
My partner are going on our first cruise in Feb. We decided to make it a three-day cruise to Naussau for starters. Carnival's Fantasy seemed like the best choice for our budget and time considerations although we would have preferred an all gay cruise. Also, I heard great things about it this ship from straight friends. My only concern is that we might feel a little uncomfortable and out of place. My partner's worries about things like being seated at meals with single straight women and such. From what I read in this wonderful website lots of those worries should be minor but we appricate any advice you have for us in general and about this particular ship
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2001, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: First Cruise, Carnvial Fantasy looking for adv

You asked for advice...presumably honest. I went on the Fantasy...exact same cruise that you are planning and would never do it again. Granted, this was in 1996, but some things never change, especially when it comes to Carnival. This is not a gay friendly cruise or cruise-line. Don't know what you're looking for and I don't want to be negative, but it was an awful experience for us and we stayed in the "finest" accomodations on the ship. I have seen the ship in port (mostly Nassau) at least 4 times since our cruise and would venture to say that the cruise and the crowd has not changed much. Would hate for you to judge cruising by this, your first experience.
Old January 13th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Passenger

I must agree with Trish, We are going on our 9th cruise in March. All nine have been on different cruise lines, none of which were Carnival. Although we have never been on Carnival, the comments we have picked up from fellow passengers on the other cruises have for the most part been negative concerning this particular cruise line. Our favorites are Radisson, Celebrity and Princess-in that order. We have heard that the passengers on Carnival tend to be younger, wilder (i.e. more drinking and acting inappropriately), a lot of smaller children and less care to passengers. All of the cruises we have been on were 'straight' and we have never encountered any negative reactions, from either crew or fellow passengers. In fact, we still correspond with several of them, even after three years. Hope you have fun and like Trish said-if you do have a bad experience, just consider it a learning experience and do not judge all cruises by this one.
Old January 14th, 2001, 12:50 AM
Skipbear

Thanks for the advice folks. We were aware of some of the potential of mixing with a younger "party" or child encombered crowed on this ship. I'm hoping our choice to go at the begging of February will lead to a little older mix of company than in the warmer months. I suppose what I'm wondering about more is just what happened to Trish in 96 that was so awful. Mind you I'm not going with no great expectations and hopfully won't be dissapointed that way. I guess I'll try to keep an open mind and see how were treated.
Old January 14th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Darrell

Both RSVP and Atlantis have space available on their Spring 2001 cruises. As the dates get closer, they might offer some sort of deal.
Old January 14th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Tim Rubacky

I've never found Carnival NOT to be gay friendly. True, you will have a mix of all types from around the nation but you will find that on almost any cruise. You may want to also look into RCI's Soverigen of the Seas.

Either way, go and have a great time!

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old January 14th, 2001, 10:36 PM
Passenger

To be a bit more specific re my earlier post...I have had the good fortune to cruise 8 times, having just returned from two weeks on the NCL Sky. While I never expect perfection and generally feel that any day cruising is just about the best, I would rather stay home than ever sail on Carnival again. The food was just plain lousy. In spite of being in the finest accomodations, there was a rather strong sewer smell in our suite throughout most of the cruise along with many other disappointments about the ship in general. However, the worst part was the general lack of service and type of passengers on this ship. Wet T-shirt contests were the norm as well as "big beer belly" contests. It was generally a class of people that were not very tolerent or welcoming of diverse lifestyles. Alot more that I could say, but just found the experience to be one where I could not wait to depart the ship. I have never felt that way about any other cruise. I truly hope that it has changed. But, whatever your decision, please do not judge cruising by Carnival or the Fantasy!!!
Old January 15th, 2001, 08:36 PM
jbeek

Hi.
I have a much less negative impression of my cruises on Carnival and would definately go again - I think one's choice of cruise lines is probably a matter of your personal style and desires - so I offer up my reasons for liking my experiences and what I thought about the things others disliked so you can see if you might as well.

I've had the experience of having two cruises on CCL from Los Angeles, the three day cruise on Holiday and the seven day cruise on Elation (which I just completed yesterday).

The short cruise had a rowdy party crowd as others above have suggested. The longer cruise was much less so. On neither did I feel any concern that people were hostile or judging me for being a gay man. On the three day, I didn't, however, meet many people that I wanted to spend any time with, and there were a lot of kids running about so I mostly hung out with my roommate and we did our own thing. There was plenty to do and we had a great time, but I won't be doing a three day weekend cruise on a holiday weekend again.

On the seven day cruise, I met lots of people, including two other gay couples and a single gay man travelling in a largely straight group, and everyone we met, gay and straight, was friendly to us - a nice straight couple from South Dakota hung out with us and accompanied us to the gay beach in Puerto Vallarta. The ship was not overrun with children a function of it not being a summer or holiday period. I recomend not going on these ships on summer or holidays if you don't want to be around a lot of kids.

I personally like the variety of activities that they have on Carnival ships. I could do without the singles party games and boozy stuff, but I found that there were plenty of things that I did like doing - many of the games and shows were fun, the workout facilities were well stocked, the variety of live music from classical, rock, dance, sing-along piano bar and jazz available every evening was a treat - I spent the evenings at sea going from one music venue to another listening or dancing along. I enjoyed the high energy atmosphere. For my personal taste, some of the "more refined" cruises would be deadly dull.

I found that the service was friendly and dependable, if casual, and that the food ranged from acceptable to very good. A classically trained chef found the food less than gourmet, and he's right, but to eat in his restaurant every night for a week would have cost much, much more than we paid to go on the cruise. Considering they had nearly 3000 people to feed, they did a pretty good job. I found Elation to be very clean and in good condition, Hoilday was clean but more worn in places, and my cabin stewards on both bent over backwards to immediately respond to any request- I would not have any concerns at all in that area.
Old January 17th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Warren

I sailed my first Carnival cruise last July. While I wouldn't say that it was the best cruise, neither was it the worst. My partner and I never had a problem with crew or fellow passengers.

Having said that, I will say that the comedians in the showlounge felt free to do some gay bashing in their acts. One comedian told a pretty awful one, got a huge laugh and said "I can't think of a better way to end the show." I can laugh at myself and appreciate *good* jokes, but had the comedian plugged in any other minority into the punch line (black, latino, Jewish, etc) you can bet the audience would have been offended and not at all amused. His joke wasn't clever at all. It was malicious, plain and simple.

There are plenty of other lines that provide more gay friendly(or neutral) entertainnment so I doubt I'll sail Carnival again.

Warren
Old January 17th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Skipbear

Hi,

Thanks again for the input. I'm hoping things go better for us. It looks like the worst account I see happend a while back. I'm hoping the other posts are indicators that they got thier act together. As I'm new to Crusing, you all helped me be more realistic with my expectations. I have an inclination to foward some of these replies to Carnival but lets see how it goes with us.
Old January 17th, 2001, 11:06 PM
Clark

I have been on numerous cruises, Carnival included. Carnival may not be the greatest cruise line, but you'll fun!!!

My lover and I took our first cruise on the Fastasy back in 1992, and attended the "newlywed" cocktail party hosted by the captain. He toasted to each couple individually and introduced us individually. He never batted an eyelash when he came to us, and neither did anyone else at the party. Later several of the "Straight" couples came to us, offered their congratulations and we made several new "straight" friends.

I bet you'll have as much fun and you decide to have....

Enjoy yourselves!

Clark
Old January 18th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Skipbear

Thanks Clark,
That's more of what I wanted to hear. Mind you I think my partner is a little too shy to go to the newleywed reception particularly and as we been together 13 years it may be a little late. Regardless, you really made me smile (which is an accompliahment if you knew what kind of week I'm having). I know your right about it being as fun as you make it. That's a good thing to remember everyday in life. Wish you guys were on this cruise, would be really fun then.