Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Colin Murray

Default Rhaspody (RCCL)

We are planning to sail on either Feb. 4th or 11th, 2001. Anyone else planning the same trip? Contact us at cmurray22@hotmail.com. We are a nice gay couple in our late 30's, from Wisconsin. We go on cruises a couple time a year. We enjoy meeting other gay couples when we travel. Contact us!
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2001, 07:51 PM
jbeek

Default Re: Rhaspody (RCCL)

I just got back from Elation (Carnival) which travels the same itinerary. It's a good trip. I have a couple of suggestions -

Even on a Wednesday in January, the gay beach in Puerto Vallarta had a nice crowd including many American vacationers and expatriates. The gay section is at the "Blue Chairs" restaurant (and the green chairs next door) - 200-300 yards south of the pier on Playa de los Muertos. It's about a six dollar taxi ride from the port (more in a tourist cab). There are restaurants, bars and stores that cater to gay people in that same basic area. The people there were friendly but the larger clubs did not have much of a crowd - things tend to start later in Mexico in the evening than they do in my hometown of Los Angeles - everyone was still at the beach or out and about while we were there. Right behind the beach is a hotel with a rooftop restaurant and bar - go there for the rooftop view of the beach and the 2 for 1 happy hour in the early evening but don't bother with the food - it was not good (it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good). A good website to check out if you are interested in those things, as well as listings for gay shore excursions, is www.discoveryvallarta.com

have a wonderful time

jef
Old January 18th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Colin Murray

Default Re: Rhaspody (RCCL)/Elation

Our plans are now confirmed. We will be sailing on the Elation (not Rhaspody) on Feb. 4th. Anyone been on this ship? We have never sailed Carnival. Any suggestions???
Old January 18th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Colin Murray

Default Re: Rhaspody (RCCL)Elation

Thanks for the tips Jef! Sounds good. Did you travel by yourself or with someone else. Did you like the ship itself? We now will be on that same ship-Feb 4th.

Colin
Old January 18th, 2001, 10:31 AM
First Mate

Colin,
I cruised on Elation May 98 with a small Gay group and had a blast!! (FUN) We really enjoyed the entertainment on the Elation. Food was Good to Very good. Ports of call were also FUN. Lots to do. I found the Crew Friendly to us. And met several other Gay people. Plus some gay crew to. My suggestion to you is have FUN!! Take a 360 tour of the Elation :<http://www.mytravelco.com/cruises/cruiseship/360/cruiseships.asp?Media_Type=1&brand=1&SN=817&SC=EL>
You can see staterooms and more!!

Michael Sinn
Old January 19th, 2001, 06:07 PM
jbeek

I concur. Our trip on the Elation was a blast. I traveled with my roommate who is also gay. People thought we were a couple. We met a several other gay men on board. Everyone was friendly to us and I didn't feel out of place being a gay man on this ship even though there wasn't a gay group.

The ship is very beautiful in an over-the-top sort of way, though not quite so over-the-top glitzy as some of the other Fantasy class ships built earlier - seems like they toned it down half a notch on Elation. Stepping onto the ship and looking up at the atrium is neat. The ship is exraordinarily clean and they keep it that way.

I enjoyed...
+The variety of music - every evening they had classical, jazz, dance, accoustic rock, party rock, big band, sing-along piano bar, and karaoke going on in different venues on the ship. I bounced around a lot to listen, sing, and/or dance along.
+The Nautica Spa gym - a nice run on the treadmill followed by a soak in the jaccuzzi there was a good way to start the day. Nice view from the treadmills through windows facing forward.
+Not having to go to the port talks or the debarkation talk because I knew they'd show it again on the TV later on in the day several times.
+The dining room - good food, friendly service (a lot of people don't go to the dining room for breakfast but it is worth it - compared to the Lido buffett the food seemed fresher and hotter)
+Playing dressup on formal night and attending the captain's cocktail party
+Having the pizza guy make a hot calzone for me at 2:30 am just because I could
+The comedians on board that did shows
+The big production shows (though they might have been a bit long).
+The tuna salad sandwich from room service - one of the best ones that I've had in a while - the room service is fast too - they showed up in like five minutes all three times I called.
+Hanging on the gay beach in PV - met lots of folks - it was nice.
+The dance party on deck when we left Puerto Vallarta especially cause I met a cute guy in the conga line
+The fact that even though I had an inside stateroom it was still pretty big compared to what I've heard about on other ships.
+Drinking a banana daquiri on deck while watching the sunset.
+Seeing the acrobat show on the tour in Mazatlan - the "flyers" - those guys were pretty good and the pole they flew on was big.
+Not having to do anything I didn't want to do for seven days except pack on Saturday evening and leave on Sunday morning.

Cruising is just the best vacation, the Elation seems like a good ship to do it on, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

jef
Old January 19th, 2001, 09:14 PM
First Mate

Jef,
I enjoyed your review of Elation!

Thanks for sharing =)

Michael Sinn