Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:38 AM
Passenger

Default Friends of Dorothy parties

Does anyone know if there are regularly scheduled 'Friends of Dorothy' parties on either Holland America's 'Noordam' or Royal Caribbean's 'Legend of the Seas' on their Mediterranean cruises? We will be on the Noordam leaving May 7th and the Legend which sails Sept. 4th. We have been on 8 previous cruises and have never been to a Dorothy party (actually we just learned of them only recently) and thought it would be a great way to meet people of like interests. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Warren

Default Re: Friends of Dorothy parties

They aren't regularly scheduled. Someone on board needs to request that it be added to the schedule. Most Cruise Directors are happy to oblige.

Warren
Old May 8th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Thulewx

But don't be surprised if there is resistance. On a recent cruise on the Ocean Princess, I asked if there would be a FOD party as there had been earlier in the year. The cruise director (Paul O'Loughlin) said there was no one on his staff willing to host them, so, "no - no FOD party." I knew an assistant cruise director who told me he HAD volunteered - I told O'Loughlin that and he "suddenly remembered" something about it and would "look into it." End result - an FOD party on the evening of the last night of the cruise - big deal. 16 of us had already found each other and organized our own activities through out the week, including our own private cocktail parties, so we really didn't need O'Loughlin or his rather transparent disdain for gay people. I made comments to the effect upon disembarkation but never heard anything from Princess (big surprise?). Princess is the only major cruise company that will not charter their ships to RSVP or Atlantis gay cruise companies - RSVP people told me that Princess said it wouldn't fit their "image." Bah - humbug!!
Old June 3rd, 2001, 11:23 PM
Pipecruise

We rounded up some "FOD"s from the boards just prior to our cruise on the Sun Princess (Mexican Riv) in 10/99. Everyone met on board (including several straight couples who joined the thread) and a good time was had by all. One of the group asked if a "FOD" party could be put in the Princess Patter, and they were happy to oblige. I believe there were two or three such gatherings.

Sorry to hear that some cruisers have had less positive experiences with Princess. Hopefully, the open minded CDs will outnumber the bad ones.

Happy cruising to one and all!
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:21 PM
Hucc

That's odd. I was on the Ocean Princess in February 2001 and they had at least 3 scheduled FOD meetings. They were even in the Princess Patter.

They served us free champagne and chatted up a storm. They were fun.