Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2001, 03:59 PM
Max

Default Tahiti and Renaissance Cruises

My partner and I are contemplating booking a 10-day cruise to Tahiti with Renaissance Cruises. Does anyone have any information about whether Tahiti or Renaissance Cruises are gay-friendly? Thanks!

--Max
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2001, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Tahiti and Renaissance Cruises

Max,
Gary....who posts things on this board was just on R4 you could email him...look at his post to get email address.

Take Care,
Michael
Old June 29th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Robb Wortham

We did the Tahiti cruise in December, but we were on Radisson's 'Paul Gauguin' and we enjoyed the best cruise/vacation ever. Renaissance Cruise line is one that we have not traveled on, but we understand that it is very good (although their restrictions on smoking, which have been relaxed some I understand, are rather rigid). Still, I do not think that they come up to the standards of Radisson. You just cannot beat Radisson, and they are definitely gay friendly. Michael(I believe that was his name), their cruise director and his staff seemed to work hard at making everyone feel comfortable and enjoy their trip. I was even elected 'King of the Cruise' at one evening's entertainment. Nothing like having a queen for a king, ha. While we spent little time in Tahiti itself, the Polynesian people that we encountered on all of the islands are the most outgoing, friendly people we have ever met. While my partner and I do not flaunt our relationship, we are obviously 'a couple'. We experienced no problems with the natives, the crew of the 'Paul Gauguin' or the passengers.

Whether you go on Renaissance or Radisson, I am sure that you will have a great vacation in French Polynesia. Happy cruising!
Robb
Old June 29th, 2001, 11:28 AM
First Mate

I visited Tahiti many years ago, and found the people quite open and accepting. My partner and I stayed In the capital, and also on Bora Bora, and visited some of the other islands.
We were struck by one of the hotel workers who seemed very effeminate. He later told us that some Tahitian boys are actually raised as girls. The ultimate in gender bending.
We never encountered any uncomfortable situations traveling together in Tahiti. When they announced on the pier that our water taxi was waiting, there was not look of shock when we showed up after they announced "Mr and Mrs.xxxxxxxxx, your water taxi is waiting.
Enjoy your cruise, and the magic of Tahiti.
Old June 29th, 2001, 04:24 PM
First Mate

All,

We just returned from Ren's R4. This itinerary should be on everyone's MUST DO list, before this paradise is ruined and becomes another tourist trap! Don't get me wrong, tourist traps have their place.

This a jam-packed itinerary - we were buring the candle at both ends. You can't beat Ren's price either. Schedule a few days off for your return, if possible! Jet lag is horrible for the return (flying West to East)!
While Ren is not my cruise line of choice....you get what you pay for! Ship is beautiful, altho the country manor decor seems out of place in this tropical paradise. Food is adequate, altho service could be better. Cabin steward was great.

This culture has very relaxed attitudes on sexual behavior....and as the previous poster mentioned, its not unusual for the eldest son to be raised as a female - or Mahu. These individuals are held in high regard in the Polynesian society. While the practice isn't quite a common now as in prior times, its still quite accepted.

Enjoy!