Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2001, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Default Anyone ever cruised on Carnival?

My partner & I (ages 40 & 45) are considering cruising on the new Carnival Pride in May. It really sounds like a super nice ship, all new design, and more elegant than other ships in the Carnival Fleet.
We are also interested in travel companions or anyone else possibly interested in cruising this ship in May.
I would appreciate opinions of Carnival vs Royal Caribbean. We have only cruised on Disney, and had great fun on Disney but never met any other gay couples or FOD at all. Any input appreciated.
David
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Anyone ever cruised on Carnival?

I was on Carnival's Victory this past July up to Canada. It was humongous -- glitzy from stem to stern. They did an OK job for the money and were practically giving away balcony cabins. Less rowdy than expected because Nova Scotia and St. John are not your basic party town. Food was so-so. I don't need to Carnival again, but I wouldn't turn my nose up for the right price either.

My only other cruise was Celebrity -- now there's a class act!!! Check out your local bookstore for the "Unofficial Guide to Cruises" by Kay Showker. It's updated every year and gives you an accurate picture of what to expect, the "personality" of the ship, and its target audience.

Good luck!
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Many folks poo-poo Carnival as being the line for white trash. I've done 15 total cruises from QE2 to Crystal and 4-5 Carnival (1 straight, the rest RSVP).
Every cruise is what you make of it. I think RCI is a nicer line, more subdued, but this new Carnival may be a more classy ship than other CCL's.
When you get on board, check with the purser to see if they'll schedule a Friends of Dorothy party - they can be fun, if held early enough in the week.
Hope you have a blast...
Old February 3rd, 2002, 11:56 PM
Passenger

Hello,

My partner and I have cruised on Carnival twice and Royal Caribbean once. In our opinion, Royal Caribbean beats Carnival hands down. We sailed on Grandeur of the Seas this past November and just thought RCI was a few notches above the Carnival product across the board. We did not dislike our Carnival cruises; however, we would choose Royal Caribbean over Carnival in the future. Our next cruise leaves this Saturday on Celebrity Century, so once finished I can compare that. By the way, we are 30 & 34.

Shawn
Old February 4th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin

My partner and I (36 and 47) sailed on the Carnival Triumph in December. We have cruised extensively and this is our 3rd time on Carnival, although I have been on 7 other Carnival ships before. We have also sailed Costa and Royal Caribbean, I have been on Celebrity, Holland America, and Princess. While the Triumph's size was huge, and decor was bright and flashy, food better than expected, and cabin size quite adequate (verandah very helpful), I found food service to be above standard, while bar service a little lacking in personalities. A major negative aspect was the huge number of children and "youngsters" on board. While the young adults made for some very attractive sights, the children were a royal pain by monopolizing the pools and hot tubs. Even with signs posted stating that "under 13 not allowed in hot tubs" we never got a chance to enjoy one ourselves without kids taking over. Even a complaint to purser's desk did nothing.
I wouldn't say it was a bad experience, but certainly was not one of our best cruises... we both decided we have a lot more fun and a much better all around vacation on smaller ships. Friends of mine have just returned from a "cruise to nowhere" on the Pride, and were very pleasantly surprised by the decor and the over all cruise experience. If it were up to us, we would probably lean towards Royal Caribbean out of the two you mentioned.. hope this helps! Kevin