Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Thule

Default Atlantis brochure

While I was looking over the new Atlantis Cruises and Vacations brochure, I noticed something odd..
Of the 275+ people in the brochure pictures,they are ALL buffed and cute(-ish). There are only 2 female couples in small photos, and only 3 African-American males, also in small photos.
Out of over 275 people!
Are they serious ?
Are they trying to attract only gym-bunnies ?
If so, it's not working, but the attitude sure surfaces. I have only done one Atlantis thing (a land based thing on St. Maarten) and definitely noticed that the pretty ones got preferential treatment by their staff, in terms of dining arrangements, seating at shows, notification of schedule changes, etc.
If a person wasn't pretty or (heaven forbid) female or "of color" the staff copped this attitude of "Oh, you're still with us..." or, "Oh, STILL alone?"
At least RSVP tries (and succeeds pretty well) to be inclusive.
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Atlantis brochure

I think this is very true. But I never was on a trip with RSVP just Atlantis. Atlantis had away of giving out information to the people that where more like themselves. The rest were left out.
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Bil

I felt the same way when I saw the brochure last evening.
Funny how our part of society, which SHOULD be more accepting, is just as "exclusive" as mainstream society.
How sad for those who THINK they're VGL, ripped and buff.
Their loss!
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:20 AM
Passenger

I was cruising the RSVP site and noticed the pics they had were of the "beautiful" people too. I am a 50ish overweight female who would love to cruise with family but after seeing this thought NO WAY! I was talking to a gay friend about it who is in his thirties and about 15 pounds overweight. He said he stopped doing gay inclusive things like circuit parties and cruises when he gained 10 pounds and started thining on top.

I hate that this is the impression some folks get but I hadn't had a "bad bod day" in months until I looked at the RSVP site. My issues I know but trust me, I think I would feel more comfortable with the old straight folks right now. Even in my small circle of friends it is the "pretty' ones doing the Olivia cruises. I find more inclusiveness with the PC crowd but I am not sure I want to mix my politics with my fun.

Any solutions to what we have identified as a situation?

Kim
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Thule

Default Re: Re: Atlantis brochure

Renfieldtwo - I hadn't noticed that about their site. Sad - I'll email Charlie (the CEO) and let him know how the thread is going. He's normally very attuned to the concept of inclusivity. Their paper brochure isn't quite as "buffed, " and their cruises in actuality aren't nearly so buffed, male or female. Sure, the gym bunnies will always be around, but there are plenty of hefty people too. Their numbers of women on their cruises has been slowly but surely increasing and their entertainment always includes at least a couple or more gay female acts. I have noticed, though, that there are usually very few single females - mostly couples or groups. And all of the women that I've talked to (on the cruises), if they've been on RSVP & Olivia, say that they universally prefer RSVP - they feel that Olivia is too militant, whatever that means.
Old July 18th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Atlantis brochure

Thule, I get the militant . We girlz get testy and PC sometimes, what can I say.? I loved the reviews I read by women for RSVP. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

This was the online site I cruised I believe that had the buffed bods everywhere. Hey, folks work hard to get and keep those cuts so I say show em off. Geeze, who doesn't like a little eye candy? I just know that from what I saw I would probably opt to cruise with the newly wed-nearly dead stereotype on more convetional cruise lines at this time.

I will probably do some more research as I am more than ready to vacation with family. I do not want to let my personal issues get in the way of experiencing this in my future. RSVP will probably be the way we go when the time comes.

Thanks for offering to chat with the CEO.

Kim
Old July 19th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Atlantis brochure

The brochures for the general public do the same thing. There may be a token black couple but most are slim and above average in looks. Showing obese couples isn't going to get a lot of bookings.
I have done an RSVP cruise and found it very inclusive for males; all ages and appearances. I was myself in my late 50's, my partner in his 40's. All were friendly, some prefered their own crowd which is understandable.
We have also done a number of general public(staight majority) and found that when there is a gay group traveling together on these cruises that they tend to be exclusive.
Old July 19th, 2002, 07:23 PM
BenT

Kim, I fully understand your concerns surrounding the image that both RSVP and Atlantis promote in their brochures. Believe me when I say that I felt the same way when my partner and I booked the Atlantis Hawaiian cruise. We are in our mid 40's with gray hair and bodies that aren't what they were 20 years ago. I just want to let you know that we had one of the most enjoyable vacations that we have ever experienced. It was so relaxing to cruise with "family". Everyone aboard was just there to have a good time and I didn't experience any of the attitude that I had expected. There were people of every size, shape, age, disability, nationality and gender. In fact, the women were treated just super! All of the guys enjoyed having them aboard. Of course the buff bods were front and center during parties and tea dance; that's what they are put on this Earth to do. You and your friend have nothing to fear by going on a "family" cruise; the sense of community we enjoyed is like nothing we have experienced before. I imagine that cruising with the newly-wed and nearly is dead is exactly that and that is not for us. The relaxed, friendly, family atmosphere that we enjoyed on Atlantis is what led us to book their January cruise aboard the Dawn.

Get thee to a travel agent!
Old July 20th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Atlantis brochure

BenT, there is NOTHING in the world like being surrounded by family. I used to work for the Navy and there were times I went out to the bars for no other reason but to connect with my own. I have read several reviews by women regarding RSVP cruises and they were all positive. It is nice to hear from a guy that you don't feel like we are invading the boys club. In the past my partner and I have been to too many lesbian activities that were "women-womyn only" and hated that attiude.

You are right about the gym bunnies being front and center. I love that energy.

My Honey and I read your post and will definitely check into what is happening. I am in school (my mid life crisis materialized as a career change lol) and will have to work around that schedule but hopefully something will come up. We are sold. Thanks for the encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

Kim & Fuji
Old July 24th, 2002, 08:06 AM
First Mate

Hi;
I have done both Atlantis and RSVP and find that they can be lots of fun. The "Buff Boys" do get lots of attention and there are very few if any females. My partner and I (early 40's & 50's) now prefer small group sailings on Deluxe Striaght cruises that offer more of what cruising is all about than the "Gay Bar" feeling on most "All Gay" cruises.

Why not join in on a small gay group with down to earth, everyday "Family". Age range should be 30's to 70's with no attitude, just a fun time on a great ship.

A number of "Family Members" responded to my posting of forming a group cruise the summer of 2003. Cunard Lines' Caronia is offering a 10 day sailing from Southampton, UK to Spain, Canary Islands and Portugal. This is a very gay friendly, upscale ship that works well for those traveling together as she offers many single cabins with out surcharge. Cunard can offer us a 40% discount for anyone who would like to sign on as part of your group. The Caronia offers every cabin type from standard inside and outside to Balcony and Penthouse Suites. The Deluxe service and single seating Dining Room is a real plus. My partmner and I have sailed on her twice before with a group of about 20 -30 guys and girls and I can say out of my 30 plus cruises The Caronia is one of the best.

If you would like to join Peter and myself along with what I hope will be a number of great "Family and Friends" from across the country please e-mail me for more info. So far we have two couples (male), three singles (2 male, 1 female) and a single female non family member.

Be great if we could get really good size group going.

Dan Tobey
TOBEYatPHL@aol.com
Old July 26th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Admiral

It took my partner and I about three seconds to choose a straight cruise over a gay cruise and now I know why: Attitude. We're two attractive males who have never been comfortable around circuit boys, party guys, etc... and the last thing I want included in my expensive all-inclusive vacation is gay attitude. I can get that at any bar in Atlanta, and for alot cheaper. We leave Aug 4 and we're ready for the straight people: Bring em on!
Old July 27th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Passenger

Bill - I totally agree with you - there is no point in standing out , having attitude and being exclusive - My partner and I have just booked a gorgeous corner balcony suite on the Carnival Legend cruise (heaven forbid - but I did enjoy it last winter!) in January 2003. I'm looking forward to it - no attitude from anyone - do what you want, when you want without constantly having to keep up with anyone, so to speak. We are both attractive with good bods, been together for 3.5 years and just want to have a normal relaxing holiday! Cheers - Cliff