Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Default can i marry my girlfriend on a cruise, legally?

Are there any cruise lines where we can get married?
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2002, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to DAYS@SEA
Default Re: can i marry my girlfriend on a cruise, legally?

Hi April,
No Marriage in open waters is legal. Regardless of sexual orientation. The way it usually happens for straight couples is, the captain or chaplin of the ship give a ceremony while in port, for the legal part. Then at sea, they have a "ceremony" that is formal. Then they are legally married since it was done in port in US waters.

So unfortunately, no. Not sure how it is for other countries.

Darrell
Old August 30th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: can i marry my girlfriend on a cruise, legally?

Actually, that is not correct. It is possible to get married on cruise ships now, though it wasn't possible for many years.

Celebrity and Princess both have wedding chapels on their newer ships. BUT the big question is whether same-sex marriages will be performed.

If you ever get an answer to this question let me know, ummm, not because I'm looking to get married.

Old September 2nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Tim Rubacky

April,

I'm sure any of the cruise lines that perform marriage, commitment or renewal of vows ceremonies would be more than happy to perform one for you. However, as very few states in the US (I believe only Vermont and Hawaii??) legally recognize Gay & Lesbian marriages, the ceremonies would not be legally binding once you arrived back in the states.

I am going to touch base with the folks at some of the major cruise lines and get you some definitive answers on the ceremonies, but I'm pretty sure none of them would be "legally binding" unless you live in a state that recognizes such unions.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs/Gay & Lesbian Editor
Old September 4th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Tim Rubacky

April,

I just recv'd an update from Princess. As they perform their marriage ceremonies under Bermudan law, they can not perform same sex marriages as Bermuda does not permit or recognize them.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs/Gay & Lesbian Editor
Old September 8th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Duncan

Unfortunately, NO state in the US recognizes same-sex marriages. Many people are under the mistaken impression that Hawaii and/or Vermont do, but they do not. At one point, Hawaii was set to recognize same-sex marriages, but the Hawaii Legislature amended their state constitution to avoid the Hawaii Supreme Court decision that would have required such recognition. Similarly, Vermont established a civil union law that allows same-sex couples to register for a number of marriage-like benefits, but such couples are not legally married and the Vermont civil unions are not recognized as marriages in any state.
Old September 9th, 2002, 08:46 AM
mutt&jeff

Tim,

Can you tell me if any mainstream cruiselines perform commitment ceremonies on board? If so, who would you suggest that I talk to at RCI about having a commitment ceremony on the Grandeur?

Thanks,
Lauralie
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Unfortunately there is no same sex marriage that would be considered legal. The closest you can come to that is a civil union in Vermont but you have to live there to take avantage of the benefits that come with it. Once you leave the state it is like you never went.

On a cruise ship, even though the ship has a Chapel, the ceremony takes place while in port. It is not legal out at sea. I do know that on some all gay cruises they perform commitment ceremonies. You can choose to have a commitment ceremony any where you choose. I do not know if the cruise chaplin will perform a gay ceremony or not. They would need to be a pretty libral chaplin if you know what I mean.

I to would love to have my commitment ceremony on a ship but I would have my own officiator perform the ceremony. You can book the chapel on the ship for your ceremony and if you have your own officiator they cannot stop you as long as you are paying just like a heterosexual couple, the only difference is the Captain or Chaplin are not performing the ceremony.

If you decide to get married on the Legend on April 3, 2003 me and my friends will be there to cheer you on!
Old November 22nd, 2002, 01:18 PM
First Mate

I don't see why Princess couldn't treat a same-sex ceremony the same as a renewal of vows. Those don't have any legal standing either.