Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Beginner

Default Brillance of the Seas

My partner and I are sailing the Brillance in October from Barcelona on the transatlantic. Anyone else going?
If you know anything about the ship let me know. We have never done an RCCL cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:21 AM
marzke

Default Re: Brillance of the Seas

We just got off the Brilliance on it's crossing from Miami to Barcelona.

It was heavily marketed to Europeans (which was good). There were about 1000 Americans and 1400 from the rest of the world (UK, Spain, Germany mainly). There were a lot (comparatively) of gay men - about 30 openly gay men. We didn't see any female couples!

The entertainment was the usual fare, although there was Bob Arno, a pickpocket expert, who described pickpocketing in general (and Barcelona in particular). In addition, there was no "Calypso band" by the pool for the crossing: it was a nice guitar-jazz group instead.

There were no extra normal "activities" scheduled by the ship: it was the standard set of activities spread out over 14 days instead of 7 (with a couple of extra Bingo and art auctions thrown in). There were, however, 3 hours of classes per day scheduled for the 5 days at sea (Photography, Food, and Personal Care). There was also a watercolor painting class everyday (that was packed).

The weather on the crossing going over was 72 degrees and sunny, but very windy. I'd expect the temperature to be a little higher in the fall, as well as less breezy, since you'll be cruising with the wind at your "back".

Our tablemates were great, which prevented one of my fears: 14 nights at dinner with homophobes would have been miserable.

In a nutshell, we'd do it again.
Old May 19th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Brillance of the Seas

Thanks that makes us both feel better. Yeah we worry about the homophobe thing at dinner. Tell me, do you have copies of the compass I could get from you. We would love to see them so that we can get even more excited.