Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:54 AM
Passenger

Default Are Atlantis Cruises Worth It?

My partner and I are seriously considering booking our first gay cruise. We are looking at Atlantis' Cruise on Celebrity's Millenium next January. We were wondering what to expect. We are both 50, good looking, personable, down to earth, intelligent, silly bear type of couple. We have sailed on many straight cruises before, so we are no slouth to cruising. We have made many friends from those cruises.

So my question is what kind of mix of gay people are usually found on Atlantis Cruises? Young? Old? Subdue? Outrageous? Will we be the old guyson board? Will we meet other nice married couples? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW! (smile)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, we have sailed on Celebrity's Millenium before and it is an extraordinary ship! Great design and very classy.

Paul and Paul
(you aren't seeing double..we both have the same first name!)
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:22 PM
2nd time

Default Re: Are Atlantis Cruises Worth It?

Just do it!

Take a look at the review from MartyParty [url]http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read.php?f=52&i=3316&t=3316{/url] regarding the Atlantis NYC Norwegian Dawn Cruise.

It was my first cruise and I loved it. It took about a day for everyone to relax and get into the swing of being on a cruise. After that we met some great people. I understand the average age was 41, so yes you guys will fit in. There were all body types too.

You can make the cruise whatever you want it to be, party outrageous, or super relaxed. I'm already trying to decide what my next cruise will be. I'm seriously considering this Celebrity cruise.

Being a casual kind of guy, I loved the NCL ships casual attitude. Hopefully Celebrity will be relaxed too.

I enjoy being around gay people so I can comforably be myself. I can't imagine being on a str8 cruise. But that's just me.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:24 PM
2nd time

Default Re: Re: Are Atlantis Cruises Worth It?

Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:17 PM
First Mate

Hello Paul and Paul;
My partner and I have done many cruises over the years, Straight, All Gay, Gay Group. I can tell you that we have enjoyed them all but do believe that the ALL Gay sailings are not for everyone. I try to tell you about ALL Gay vs. Gay Group.

Atlantis and RSVP do a good job at packaging an ALL GAY cruise. Atlantis is more laid back casual and informal, while RSVP is closer to a Tradition Crusie with Formal nights etc. I think of the two RSVP does a better job. Ages are mixed from late 20's to 70's on both. Couples are about 60% and lots of singles traveling with groups of friends. Like everthing else with Gay Men, you see mild to wild. These cruises are not floating Bath Houses, but lots a stuff goes on if that is what you are looking for. At the same time you'll find many nice quiet couples enjoying a week of just be together in a world were everyone is gay. It can be very interesting. I have never found RSVP or Atlantis to be priced cheaply, but you get a good time for your money. They are now using some better ships and more cruise linesGay Group sailings; Pied Piper, Now Voyager, etc. take groups on straight sailings. There are more sailings to choose from and prices are lower. We have even gotten a credit after the cruise line reduced price for a sailing. That never happens on Straight or All Gay sailings. Group Sailings tend to be more couples and the age group a little older averaging around 50. Depending on the sailing the Grup size can be anywhere from 20 -120 or more. There are two differrent Groups on this year's Millenium post Thanksgiving sailing 1130. So far there will be close to 300 guys on board. The dress and style of these sailings is what ever the ship and line offer. The Groupswill always have a few cocktail parties and sit together for dinner. Tours as a group are also offered. We find that these gay group sailings are to our liking more than the All Gay sailings. We meet and make frineds easier and like the ships and the class better. Are next Group Sailing is Jan. 12, 2004 on the Maiden Sailing of the new QM2. We booked with Pied Piper and so far I beleive there are about 60 in the group. This should be the trip of a lifetime as she'll be the first new true ocean liner in over 30 years, the biggest and most expensive ship ever. . Peter and I will only do an All Gay cruise nowdays if we are traveling with a group of friends.

If you like cruising I am sure you will enjoy which ever cruise you pick . I would be more than happy to ansews any questions you have.

Dan and Peter
Phila., Pa.
Old July 24th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Hi, just checked the Atlantis and Celebrity websites and see there is about $400- $500 US per person premium for being on the Atlantis for a week in the same cabin category. Its really not a small price to pay, but for some, it may worth it to be able to show affections and enbracing each other in public.

I just have one question: Does the Capitain's Club program apply to this cruise, how about the upgrade of the cabin? Thank you in advance for any info.

Have booked in Celebrity in October and have just been moved from 1B to 1A(CC) --WOW!!
Old July 25th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

At least on RSVP, the past-cruisers program has applied. Upgrades, no.
Also if you're travelling single, the gay charters all charge 200%, so the premium jumps to $800-1000.
Old July 25th, 2003, 05:25 AM
ti2gr

Default Re: Re: Are Atlantis Cruises Worth It?

Most of the cruise lines will charge 150-200% if you are travelling single regardless of gay or straight cruise. Atlantis does have a share program, as does Pied Piper and RSVP where you can share a room with another single traveler and still pay the double rates.

Carnival and their lines also have a share program, and on Carnival that program can extend up to the quad level.
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:30 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Captain Club

When you sail an ALL GAY Chartered cruise you get nothing from the cruis line itself, no repeaters party, upgrades etc.

If you are sailing on one of the Gay Group Cruises (Pied Piper, Cruising With Pride, etc.) you'll get all the benefits as a repeat cruiser that the cruise line offers - parties, upgrades and even a repeaters discount if offered.

My partner and I feel the Gay Group Sailings are the way to go unless you feel you need to be on a ship with 1200 -3000 other gay men partying all week. The prices are better on the Gay Group Sailings, as are the choices of ships and length of the cruise. We have done both but prefer the smaller Group Sailins.

Dan and Peter
Phila., PA.
Old July 28th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Jeffrey Becotte

Default Re: Re: Re: Are Atlantis Cruises Worth It?

I am booked on Atlantis Hawaiin Islands Cruise March 2004.

Old July 29th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Jim W

Hi Paul and Paul,

My partner and I just got back from our first Atlantis Cruise. It was the best vacation we ever had. I went on a Straight cruise a few years ago and although it was enjoyable the difference was like night and day. My partner and I are both in our early 40's , So we were not looking to Party till dawn every night . Atlantis offered a wide varity of things to. The shows , Game Shows , Art ,lectures, cooking demos, they even had a 70's and a 80's party which was right up our ally, we were even invited on stage for one of the shows. Also I liked not having formal dinners we dressed in resort casual and that was good enough for me , I dress all year long for work I don't want to do it on vacation. We met other couples as well as some singles. We felt very romantic . I guess to each his own , but I'd say it was worth it. We look forward to going again next year.

Jim and Greg