CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Gay / Lesbian Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/gay-lesbian-cruising/)
-   -   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/gay-lesbian-cruising/280750-holland-america.html)

george September 18th, 2003 12:38 PM

Holland America

Hello everybody My name is George and along with my BF Gordon are going on our first cruise in October 25th of this year on Holland America's MS Volendan. Anybody on this board traveled with H.A before? If we truly enjoy it, we'll try a gay cruise next. So, if you have any tips please post them or if you are going to be on board please by all means let us know.

Chuck Palm September 18th, 2003 06:36 PM

Re: Holland America

My partner David and I have been on three H.A.L. cruises. They were all good in their own way. We enjoyed the Westerdam most followed by Veendam and Amsterdam, in that order. We will be on the Veendam again this Thanksgiving. I hope you have a great cruise.

Jerry & Kirk September 19th, 2003 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Holland America

Hi George and Gordon,

My partner and I have been passengers on several different H.A.L. ships and we think they give you the best bang for your money in the mid-price range. But "don't " compare a straight cruise to a gay cruise. A straight cruise will be MUCH MORE low key and relaxing. A gay cruise is more likely to be partytime 24/7.....with lots of costumes to bring for theme nights (and days) lots of drinking, dancing and late hours etc.

Hope this info helps..........J&K

archipelago September 21st, 2003 03:05 PM

Chuck,
I am booked on the Amsterdam on January 8th for the South America / Antarctica trip . Can you tell me about the Amsterdam ? Why was it your 3rd place favorite ? Thanks !!!

dj September 21st, 2003 03:58 PM

Hi George and Gordon -- My partner and I travelled to Alaska on HAL in 2001 -- the ship and crew couldn't have been better. We were on the Veendam, sailing out of Vancouver, BC to Alaska. Now, however, I have to tell you we were on an Olivia cruise (with 1200 women) what a blast! Yes, it was delightful, the entire ship was booked by Olivia and it was great!!! The crew, probably 90% male, couldn't have been nicer to us. Never the slightest hint of any problem with us being lesbians -- the crew, from cabin steward to the dining room maitre'd were most helpful and gracious -- everyone on the HAL staff treated us like we were kings (or "queens", pardon my pun). I would recommend HAL and just imagine that if you're not on a strictly gay cruise they should be just as nice to you. We are planning to go on a "straight" cruise in the near future and will choose HAL because Olivia uses the same cruise line. Hope I've helped you.
dj

george September 26th, 2003 12:00 AM

Thanks D.J sounds like we made the right choice. I can't wait to see what a cruise is like, only four more weeks to go!

george September 26th, 2003 12:05 AM

Thanks Chuck for the tip. Looks like HAL works for you. Have fun on your next cruise and happy thanksgiving.

george September 26th, 2003 12:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Holland America

Hi Jerry and Kirk. We figured a gay cruise would be party hardy; which to say is not a bad thing but an opportunity came up where we got a terrific deal so we took it. It would be interesting though to try a gay cruise. RSVP and Pied Piper sound good bets for the future. Have a great time on your next cruise.

Darrell6t September 30th, 2003 08:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Holland America

RSVP is a total ship charter. Pied Piper is a small group on an otherwise ordinary cruise. Very different experiences. My partner & I love RSVP, even though we don't do much of the late night parties. Friends who have tried Pied Piper were not impressed. They felt they might as well have gone on their own. The only added value was one cocktail party.