Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
TonyV

Default Purell Hand Sanitizer A MUST!

We just got back this morning from an awesome 10 Day Panama Canal cruise. There is no need to mention the cruise line specifically because the fault/problem referenced in this post indeed lies with the passengers, NOT the ship. Scott and I have always carried the 2oz (59ml.) bottles of the Purell Hand Santizer on our person at all times while on board and/or on shore, and we apply it OFTEN. On the second day of the trip out ship became NoroVirus infected. Of course, Scott and I were way ahead of the game because we have always practiced the "Purell Preventative". News reports advised over 150 passengers became ill during this fantastic voyage, and of course, their cruise was ruined. Scott and I enjoyed the entire cruise untouched, not so much as a cramp, and we owe that to Purell. Boys and Girls, take this advise, go out and buy the 4 packs or 8 packs of the Purell hand sanitizers and make it the first thing on your pre-departure cruise check list. Don't let the unsanitary habits of the majority of the passengers ruin your well deserved cruise vacation. Have fun and be careful out there!
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Purell Hand Sanitizer A MUST!

Tony, GREAT post!

I still remember from Pam Kane's "Cruise Control" book about how many people are touching those shiny brass rails, etc on a cruise. (And, as a man, I know how many men never wash their hands after using the bathroom.)

I've never been sick on a cruise, but I don't touch the rails, use my knukle to push the elevator button and wash my hands as soon as we get back to the cabin and before dinner.

Even just for a cold, an ounce of prevention ...

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Plus we use the Hand Sanitizer in port -- a lot.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:42 AM
TonyV

Thanks Harry for the recognition of the Purell post and congratulations to you! Also in addition to my first Purell post, remember, the salt and pepper shakers in the dining rooms are NOT your friends! Always pick them up using a paper napkin. Don't worry that others will look at you (and they do) like you're crazy. Practice safe salt and pepper shaker handling and you will spend alot more time on the balconies of these beautiful ships and alot less time in the smallest room in the cabin! Sail safe, sail often and enjoy. TonyV
Old January 23rd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Tony on "smallest room in the cabin."

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Bad Science

So I assume that the other 1850 passengers were also using Purell?
Old January 25th, 2004, 06:08 AM
TonyV

Well, I can't tell if the previous post was sarcastic or an educated calculation, but yes, after the first cases became apparent, the ship immediately took the responsible actions and posted automatic Purell (or similar handcleanser) dispensers at the entrances of all of the buffet style restaurants and also did not allow passengers to serve themselves with the tongs and spatulas etc. The staff, now wearing gloves, served up everything right down to the pats of butter. Antiseptic wipes were also required at each ports disembarkation gangway so as not to spread the Norovirus while at the visiting port. So as for the other 1850 passengers, even if they did not carry thier own Purell, the ship saw fit to supply them with it (or a similar product) and in answer to your question, yes, whether they knew it or not the other passengers did use Purell or a similar handcleanser. But, please feel free "Bad Science" to embark on any and all of your trips as you see fit with or without a Purell type product. I get nothing in return from offering this advise as I do not work for Purell or any company that manufactures hand cleansers. It was and is just an observation on my part that I saw fit to share. Happy, healthy cruising to all. TonyV
Old January 25th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Wow, Tony ... interesting post to see how the ship handled the outbreak. I was *cery* surprised to see all the measures they used (only one I had read about was not being able to serve yourself).

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too always travel with Purell, its always in my carry-on bag. I also use it at home occasionally, you just never know?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Passenger

I was on Crystal Cruises in November and everytime you get back on the ship you have to sanitize your hands. The sanitizer provided at the gangway. When we were docked in St. Maarten with all the ships everybody was talking about our santizing.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
reachtim

Dear Tony,
Wow...this make a lot of sense. I for one, would not have thought of it. Such confined quarters...you know grems, etc. have to spread. I got a little sick on my last cruise (Que Rico - RSVP cruise to Mexcio, 2002), but I think it was something in the air...the recycling of air or something...no intestinal problems, just flu like symptoms.

Anyway, I plant to get the stuff you mentioned for my next cruise coming up shortly. Thanks very much.
Tim

22-29 Feb 04 RSVP cruise via Oosterdam on Holland America
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
TonyV

Tim

I read your response and have a great time on the HAL RSVP cruise on the Oosterdam. We were supposed to be on the RSVP on the HAL Oosterdam in April out of San Diego but we had to cancel. It would have been our first RSVP, a big step for both of us! Anyway, whether you know it of not you accidently coined a new word in your previous post and it is now my new word for germs. G R E M S, I love it. TonyV
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:12 PM
ReachTim

Default Re: Re: Purell Hand Sanitizer A MUST!

.....Hi Tony, I also have plant for plan...gee there should be a spell check some where here! Gasp, and I'm an editor. Happy Sailing, Tim

PS: You should try RSVP when you have the opportunity. I heard via a friend in the old days they were just horrible. I had a great time in 2002, and I plan to do so again aboard the -
Oosterdam/HAL 22-29 February 2004 - for those who would like to meet and say hello.
Tim
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Jilles

Default Re: Re: Re: Purell Hand Sanitizer A MUST!

What's up with the salt and pepper shaker? Why aren't they our "friends"?
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:46 PM
mike (and jon)

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Purell Hand Sanitizer A MUST!

tony,,,appreciate the advice, bought purell today and will take on qm2 in march. harry and art, i agree...try not to touch more than you have to including handrails etc., but for goodness sake to all others HEED these guys' advice. i'd rather be called "overcautious" than know i'm in the silly little part of the cabin with those grems - love that too- for most of the cruise. thank you, we're converts and will follow....
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Tony - Thanks for the advice on the Purell but what about the air borne germs in the ventilation ducts? Is there something really magical about the Purell? We are leaving on April 3rd for the W. Caribbean so am very interested as to what you have to say.
Thanks!
Paula
Old February 11th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Rita L

Hi Paula (again),

you don't have to worry the airborne germs as it appears everywhere. our body is healthy enough to fight the airborne bacteria and those won't give you diarrhoea or vomit. instead the airborne germs will give you cold, allergy or flu. we breathe in them everyday already.

Rita L
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Purell Hand Sanitizer A MUST!

That's great information Rita, we also carry Airborne, the tablets that disolve in water. They build up your imune and can actually reverse a cold if it is caught in time. I'm sure you have heard of it, it was invented by a kindergarden teacher that was sick of getting sick from her students.

Thanks again,
Paula
Old February 15th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Beginner

Default Sick on the Atlantis Gay Cruise January 2004and RSVP Mexico

I have been on over 20 cruises and I only got sick twice:

1. Once I got the airborne virus that was spread through the ventilation on the Carnival Ecstacy that RSVP used for their Mexico Cruise in 2002.

2. I got the stomach virus that I heard many other had on the Atlantis January 2004 cruise on the Celebrity Millenium from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean. It started as a horrible burping all the time with a very bad taste. Then it developed into all night loose stools where I stayed in the bathroom all night, multiple times, until I was finally completely cleaned out.

The next day, I just took liquids, jello, and plenty of water. I thought it was the ships water giving me that illness, which starte the day after I got on the ship and lasted about 4 days, but who knows?

I finally got Pepto Bismol tablets after the fact.

Then, the day I got home, I went out to dinner with a friend who had the sniffles, and 2 days later, I came down with his respiratory virus, on February 3, 2004, and I am still coughing and it is already February 14, almost 2 weeks later!

My advice: If you see someone sneeze, sniffle, or cough, run like hell, leave the table, be rude, be a hypochondriac, and do whatever you can to get away from them!!!

Unless you are willing to be willing to be sick for months afterwards!

I will not be Mr. Nice Guy or Mr. Good Manners any more.

Call me rude or hypochondriac -- I never want to be sick again.

So I guess I am lucky that I never got sick on 18 of 20 cruises -- in spite of the fact that I often never wash my hands !!!

But I DEFINITELY believe in the germ theory, and you I sure would like to know how I got that horrible stomach illness.

The respiratory virus is obvious. When I saw this guy with the cold, I should have left his presence immediately.

So any responses and feedback would be appreciated.
Old February 15th, 2004, 03:15 AM
TonyV

Just got back from the Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Golden Princess and once again, thanks in part to our constant use of Purell and common sense, it was a healthy, enjoyable cruise. I see that there are many responses/comments regarding Purell and my thoughts on it, so I will try to comment on a few. First "Jilles" Salt and Pepper Shaker question of why they (the salt and pepper shakers) are not our friends. Every person who sat at that table before you, more than likely, used them. Do you know where their hands were prior to picking up the salt and/or pepper shaker? Play it safe. Get a few paper napkins before you sit down and pick up the shakers using the napkin. A few people will look at you strange, but trust me, it's a great common sense preventative.

Mike (and jon), right on! Use it and use it often. Scott and I will turn around and go back to the cabin if we don't have a bottle with us. We believe it IS that important.

Paula, Rita L covered that one. GOOD INFO RITA L !

And Kenny, what a Great post! And to answer your question, yes run like hell! If folks think you're rude and you are a hypochondriac, let them. I immediately move away if some one near me is hacking or worse yet if that person sitting behind me in the show lounge is coughing or God forbid, sneezing, I don't care if I'm tripping over peoples feet, I'm outta there! Sail safe, sail smart, sail healthy and most of all enjoy.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:24 AM
TonyV

Uhhh Ohhh, those 300 peeps on the Carnival ship out of Texas forgot their PURELL.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
funnygirl

Hey all,
I HAD to post on this one. (I'm not G/L but read all the boards to get all the info I can for our first cruise in 4/05--hope it's OK that I post here!)
Anyway, I totally agree about the hand sanitizer. I use the stuff from Bath and Body works just because it smells so good and it's my one indulgence. My husband teases me mercilessly about it but hey--I'd rather be teased than sick! I can only imagine the little germies on those cruises. I already avoid doorknobs and handrails, I had never thought about salt & pepper shakers. One more reason to avoid salt! The anti bact. stuff really does help. I get sick a lot less since I began using it 5 years ago.
A happy cruise is a healthy cruise! (sounds like one of those films they showed in high school during health class!!)
Blessings! Chris
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Admiral

Chris on the high school movie title. :-)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!