CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Gay / Lesbian Cruising (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/gay-lesbian-cruising/)
-   -   Olivia's Boston to Montreal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/gay-lesbian-cruising/281106-olivias-boston-montreal.html)

Just us February 1st, 2004 09:45 PM

Olivia's Boston to Montreal

Wondering if anyone will be on this cruise with us. Would like information about cruising with the Olivia charters. Is there a formal night? What is the dress code for on ship during day and eveining? Thanks for any information you can pass along to us "newbies to Olivia".!

htarvelo February 3rd, 2004 11:19 AM

Re: Olivia's Boston to Montreal

Wish I could help, but haven't sailed w/ Olivia yet. Let me know how your trip is?

Harry Martin February 8th, 2004 08:49 PM

Look back on this message board ... some folks were on Olivia recently ... perhaps you could email them.

Harry

Paula February 11th, 2004 10:53 AM

My partner and I love Holland America and I think your Olivia cruise might be on a HAL ship. We were considering that cruise but opted to take a straight HAL cruise to the W. Caribbean in April due to the cheaper cost of a straight cruise. They are very gay friendly even on their straight cruises. We went to Alaska last July.

Personally speaking, I wore my tuxedo and felt like a million bucks. My partner and I had our picture taken on formal night and I plan on wearing it again in April for formal nights. I got some gasps but I felt they were more like "wow, she looks good in that tux" instead of "oh my God, how could she." We have been together 18 years so I am at the point where, this is my wife and I don't really care what other people think. Please feel free to write if you wish.
Paula

Paula February 11th, 2004 10:55 AM

By the way, daytime is casual, polo shirts, shorts, comfortable, relaxing. Enjoy a wonderful martini and get a massage!

justus February 11th, 2004 07:07 PM

Thanks Paula. My partner, of 26 years, and I sailed Hal last May to Alaska on a straight cruise. We had a great time but saw NO other lesbian couples. It was our first cruise and we decided, like you, because of costs we would travel on a straight cruise. The crew was wonderful. We only met one older couple that tried to make it a bit uncomfortable, but that didn't work. My partner and I are not comfortable showing affection, i.e. holding hands and lite kissing, in the general staright world. That was the reason we gave in and decided to go with Olivia. We actually are so excited about being able to enjoy the entire cruise experience. Thanks for your response.

Paula February 11th, 2004 10:49 PM

Hi there - I really enjoyed reading your response and I appreciate you paying the extra cost for the Olivia experience. Last year when we took our HAL "straight" cruise, the only other gay woman we saw was the lady in charge of the shore excursions that worked on the ship, did you happen to take the Staendam? We went to Alaska last July, we also treated my partner's aunt and uncle to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary. We sat with them on formal night awith two other quite religious couples. Being with aunt and uncle helped make it more comfortable. This time we are on our own but aren't worried. We will be at a table for 6 this time, we can only hope they aren't overly religious, we can only hope for the best. I would love to go on an Olivia cruise, I will be retirring in less than 3 years, sounds like a good reason to celebrate with Olivia. Please post your experience when you get back and have a blast!

justus February 13th, 2004 12:08 AM

Re: Re: Olivia's Boston to Montreal

We took the Princendam R/T from San Francisco. Three years....that would definitely be reason to celebrate! I'll be sure to post when we get back!