Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default The ups and downs of cruising alone

Hi all,

Just got back from my single cruise on the Ecstasy (Art was not up for another cruise so soon, the rate was too good, and he watched my real estate business while I was away).

Just wanted to post here (and on Chit Chat, too) what were the up and down-sides of cruising single:

Positive Points:

* A breeze to pack with only yourself to think of

* Those inside cabins really start to feel bigger

* You get up when you want

* No "what do you want to do?" conversations

* You are more likely to strike up conversations with folks on the ship

* Time to plan, think things over, etc

* Meeting other single-travelers at dinner (they seem to group you at the same table). I had drinks after dinner with a wonderful woman I met at our table, and had a wonderful evening with her.

* My single supplement was only about 20 percent because the ship was so empty.

* The heart does grow fonder with the absence.

Negative Points

* Yep, you really do miss your partner ... one night I even talked to the air to say, "I am hurrying" when running late for dinner. (Art always gets on me to hurry up.)

* If the TV sucks, you are outta luck. I saw "Veggitales" more times than I wish to count late at night.

* Port stops by yourself are not quite as fun with no one to share your adventures with. I would recommend hooking up with some other people traveling alone, or take a group tour (I did this in Catalina)

* You do find yourself wandering the ship more, asking yourself, "You wanna do this?" (For some reason, I was not up to staying up late for the shows, and am not much of a bar person on board)

* Your cell phone bill is higher ... this was a savings grace when I was missing Art ... could check in, tell him what I had been doing, etc

Anyway, these were my experiences. Hope they enlighten some of those thinking of going it solo. It really was a neat experience.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: The ups and downs of cruising alone

Harry,

What can I expect? My first cruise and really want to make the most of it, and want to play and have fun. Any tips?

Brett
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Admiral

I have cruise alone several times and absolutely love it.

Brett, just get out and start mingling with people...at sailaway be out on deck and start talking to people. Don't be a wall flower. Hit the clubs and shows...You'll meet people.
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I chatted a lot more with people, just like Cruiseaholic suggested. In fact, at the muster drill, I found an older woman sitting by herself, and I went straight up and asked whether she was traveling alone too -- we had a wonderful time comparing cruise notes while sitting thru the drill.

I think doing the group tours would be a good idea ... I found that was an easy, built-in way to meet people.

Hope that helps.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: The ups and downs of cruising alone

Brett, I love cruising alone. Don't get me wrong...groups can be a lot of fun, too. When cruising alone, you have a chance to really have that "me" time that you need. Also, if you like meeting people, I've always had fun meeting people in the gym. Working out with others is a good place to strike up a conversation...well, maybe not in the middle of a workout, but in the sauna or steamroom after is nice and relaxing. I think you'll enjoy yourself. What ship and date are you cruising?