Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
GUYNFTL

Default Ship Recommendations for Gay Couple

Hi,

We are in the process of booking our 10th Anniversary cruise for September 2004 and would like some recommedations for a gay friendly ship. We have been on Carnival in the past and Celebrity on a gay group cruise, but this time we will be going at it solo.

Were looking to go on a Western Carribean cruise from Ft. lauderdale.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Ship Recommendations for Gay Couple

I found the Celebrity Century VERY GAY Friendly. Same with the Princess ships. I think the Grand is going to do the Western then. These ships are the ones I would suggest. Or the Caribbean Princess she is the baby of the fleet and the biggest!

Michael
Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:59 PM
adam childs

We ---me and my SO are going to be on the Celebrity Mille Sept 30th cruise and are wondering how the mille is for being gay friendly
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:42 AM
First Mate

I was on the Millie Dec 2002 and found it Gay Friendly.

Michael
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Psychedfred

Hi! My partner and I had an absolutely wonderful time on Celebrity as well as on Holland America. They were both VERY gay friendly (as evidenced by their repeated charters with companies like RSVP and Olivia). I had decent experiences on NCL and Cunard, but certainly felt that Celebrity was the best.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
JIMJERRY1

MY PARTNER AND I ARE GOING ON THE CELEBRITY SUMMIT 4/26 OUT OF FT. LAUDERDALE, AND AM SO RELIEVED TO HEAR THAT CELEBRITY IS GAY FRIENDLY.

JERRY
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Never been Celebrity, but I can concur that over and over Princess has been the most friendly when we travel. In that regard, I mean there is never any explaining of why you are buying things on one card, odd looks at the pursors desk or any other subtle things.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
FL33139

Hi guys!

My partner and I are scheduled on the Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) for May 9th. How gay friendly is this ship?

Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ship Recommendations for Gay Couple

My partner and two friends sailed EOS three years ago. We found quite a fun passenger crowd in the Chamber dance club. The "Family" tended to hang out in the lower level near the bar. The show cast hung out together on the upper level along the rail overlooking the dance floor. The crew was friendly too.
Old March 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Highly recommend Celebrity Millie...Galaxy....Mercury! Everyone seemed very gay and had a great time !

Harry?? Never been on Celebrity? That surprises me.

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Thulewx

Splurge! And go on the Radisson Paul Gauguin from Tahiti!! It's the Best ship on earth (according to several magazine ratings) to the most exotic and romantic itinerary!! And, if you do the 11 Sept one, there will be at least 2, probably 6 other family folks...
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Rick, yep ... never on Celebrity. I think the primary reason is they do only a few sailings on the West Coast by and large. Also, most times, we are rate driven as far as which ship we choose to sail, and Celebrity usually runs a hundred or so higher than Carnival, RCCL or even Princess (if you're lucky)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:05 PM
paulras

I've found Celebrity to be excellent - plenty of gays and plenty of gay-friendly people. Been on Galaxy and Constellation. Table mates (straight) have always been wonderful to us - even had a retired military officer and his wife and they couldn't be friendlier.

To me Carnival was very young and straight. I felt like I was stuck in the middle of an MTV Spring Break event. Never had a problem, but didn't feel as comfortable as with Celebrity which seems to attract a more mature crowd that isn't all about partying.
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:07 AM
jimnbillnpa

Hi!

My partner and I just returned from Western Carib 7 day on board the Grand Princess. This was an absolutely incredible ship. The staff was amazing. One of the asst. cruise directors organized the FOD party (he was gay, of course). Before the party we had already met 15 to 20 other gay men and women on board, singles and couples. (The gaydar works fine.) The maitre'd in the dining room we chose was gay and made sure we had the best table and server every night. He also directed us to the maitre'd of one of the separate restaruants on board. Our cabin steward shyly asked if the bed was made correctly (in a queen configuration instead of two twins). When we said it was just fine he breathed in relief and smiled broadly and then spent the whole week making sure we had absolutely everything. It was really cool-like everyone just expected us to be there. We are looking now at Hawaii in Oct or Southern Carib in 2005, both on Princess.
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:06 PM
Admiral

What a great story -- glad to hear you had such a great time. I, too, have always had really cool cabin stewards.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:28 PM
Admiral

I think Celebrity, H.A.L., and Princess are generally fine for gay cruisers. I'd like to add the caviat that any one person can cause a problem on any cruiseline if they happen to be either untrained, untrainable or just plain rude.

That kind of negative experience can put a serious blemish on an otherwise positive vacation. The cruise we had gay related problems was on the Norwegian Dream. We had problems with one Jamaican waiter in "Le Bistro" and with one uneducated redneck passenger (from hell) as well.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Chuck we have been so lucky ... I think the female cabin stewards are happy 'cause we are so clean. :-)

Only problems we have had have been with photogs.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:06 PM
Passenger

We've never had a problem with photographers--except telling them we're really not interested in posing with a pirate. And we're far from the neatest couple to share a cabin. The only problem we've had is getting our beds made up as one before we get onboard. We've never had a problem with getting it done once we're there. And we've never had any passengers react negatively. We've been adopted by a lot of families at our tables over the years and still keep in touch we a few of them.

Princess has been our cruise line for the most recent four cruises. Before that, we were on Celebrity once (and I'd love to go on another), Royal Caribbean three times, and Norwegian and Carnival once each. The last two I would not go back on--but not because we ever felt uncomfortable on them.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Passenger

HI everyone,
We are a large group of thirty something single gay men and we will be on board the july 3rd caribbean princess we are excited and would love some company. We booked just last week and were amazed that we were able to get balcony cabins for around 1000.00 . What a deal. Some of you guys should check it out and join us!!! This is our first princess cruise but 4th cruise over all the last 3 july 4ths 1st Carnival imagination (was nice only because we didn't know any better) The next year Celebrity Century (Loved it Loved it Loved it!!!!) and last year Royal Cari Adventure of the seas (enormous and quite fabilous but not as intimate and friendly as celebrity,,, not even close) We are excited to try out Princess but so far our first choice is Celebrity, with one exception, many in our group are very atletic sports minded and the sports deck on adventure is awesome, we played lots of volleyball and baseketball. It was fun sweating with the straight boys HEHEHE
Kevin
Greenville north carolina
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Kevin, the Diamond had a great sports deck, so I expect the Caribbean will have a nice one, too. Plus you get the "movies under the stars" -- that will be cool. I hear they even suppy different deck chair coverings, as well as lap blankets for when it gets chilly.

Enjoy the cruise ... I love Princess because of all the detail they put throughout the ship and in the cabins.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Thanks we can't wait
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:30 PM
Passenger

My partner and I have been on a number of cruises and on different lines. We think Holland America is very friendly. A FOD gathering was hosted on our voyage aboard the Ziuderdam last October and a FOD get together was also held when we sailed on the Statendam in January 2003. Both parties were attended by officers and staff of the ships. There were so many couples on the Statendam that it felt like an RSVP charter. Couples danced together in the club right along with everyone else. There were no problems; a good time was had by all!