Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Passenger

Default Early Boarding!Does No mean No?

Constellation
Embarkation/Boarding at 1700hrs is on our Documents and it is underlined no earlier.So does no mean no?(Blackend underlined and threatening????)
We are staying at the Raddisson and will obviously have to check out at noon.
It would be at least nice to get aboard earlier and go ashore again.What is there to see around the Pan American Pier?
Could all of you multi previous cruisers to San Juan/Celebrity have any very practical ideas?
Four excited Aussie cruisers say Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Jerry and Kirk

Default Re: Early Boarding!Does No mean No?

Hey Bruce,

Yes, no meams no, I checked it out. Soooooooo:

First, I would contact the Raddison hotel and ask them if your luggage can be stored for a few hours after check out time, which would allow you time to toodle around
unburdened prior to embarking the ship. Once done, you could take an orgranized tour of the city, or take a ferry boat over to the Bacardi Rum Factory (check it out on Google) and go on the tour. Afterwards, you could walk around Old San Juan (it's near the docks) which is very picturesque, or you could hop on a bus to nowhere and get a lay of the land, or gamble at a number of hotels, or lay on the beach, or ???

Uncle Jerry
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Celebrity has in the past (I've done it several times) allowed passengers embarking to board as early as 10:00 a.m., you just can't go to your stateroom until an announcement is made. Maybe that is what this is referring to. Usually, ships start boarding around noon, regardless of what the tickets say.
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Jerry and Kirk

Default Re: Re: Early Boarding!Does No mean No?

Hi cruiseAholic,

Yes, I too have boarded ships as early as 10:00 am, but this case is different. Because of a late night departure the first allowable boarding time will be 5:00 pm, according to a rep at Celebrity cruises. Thanks for you imput, it will help others.

Jerry

30 + cruises
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:32 PM
paulras

Don't believe them!

We were on Constellation in January from San Juan. It was the same thing. The rep said that they don't start boarding until 5pm. But we got to the ship around 3:30 and went through immediately and were sipping champagne by about 4:00. And there were plenty of people who boarded ahead of us - many prime-time spa appointments were already filled by 5:00. We were even contemplating getting back off of the ship to spend some time in San Juan but dinner was open seating at (I think) 6:30 and we tend to have bad luck and would have somehow missed the 11pm sailing. So, it's kinda dumb that they tell people 5pm when that wouldn't even give time to get to the restaurant for dinner.

I will say that by dinner, it seemed like only about half the ship had boarded. I think many tended to have dinner in San Juan and then head to the ship around 8 or9. I wonder how the lines were getting on board at that time? It was maybe 30 minutes from taxi to ship for us at 3:30. No real lines.

I say ask the hotel for a late checkout; even just 1 or 2 hours. Then take your time getting to the dock. Shoot for getting there at 2:00 or 3:00. You'll have time to book spa appointments!
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the ideas.
I will definately need a Spa treatment before 1700 hrs as my finger nails will be chewed to the bone.
We also like the idea of a Bus to No Where.Wonder what the destination board will read? We have done this sort of thing before and its a great place to send postcards from?
The last thing we need is to be halted in the Waiting Hall for hours.
I see some Pax Flights arrive San Juan the same day at 1100 hrs and they have Celebrity Transfers direct to the ship.
From the info i have there is simply nothing outside the Pan Amercan Pier.
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:36 AM
mike (and jon)

Default Re: Re: Early Boarding!Does No mean No?

anthony...presume that's your name. don't worry about going early. the reason they say later is to make sure disembarkation is mainly over. yes, you might be asked not to go to your cabin for a couple of hours while they clean, but you're usually welcome to take lunch or lounge around ...or just explore...the ship. while the late departure time may have something to do with it, they are not going to tell you can't board, for SURE. as an example, on qm2 recently, friends had "2 pm or 3 pm" boarding time on tickets. we were all going at ll am (our boarding time) and went...and it was very simply first come, first served. we were all aboard by ll:30, never asked for a ticket to check boarding time. sure that's the same on celebrity as well. if needed, just say you had to check out of hotel and didn't have a place to put luggage. hope this helps. and if you guys need any help with caribbean info, let us know at gaup7@aol.com. jon lived in st. thomas for 15 years and is somewhat of an expert on the area. we have a good contact for jeep rental in st. john too, which is one of the most beautiful islands in the carib. bon voyage! maybe we'll see ya down under one of these days! mike