Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Beginner

Default fod party?

Ok, so I'm new to this cruise post thing and I'm trying to figure out what an "FOD party" is. Could someone please explain?
Also, some friends and I are planning to cruise soon but are not sure how long before our desired date we should book and with whom to book. Any suggestions for getting the best price on that perfect gay love boat?

later,
barry
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: fod party?

Barry,

FOD stands for "Friends of Dorothy", which is the gay/lesbian equivalent of AA, etc. If a ship has these meetings (it seems to be at the discretion of the cruise director), they may or may not be hosted by a cruise staff member. I've been to several and have met some nice people.

Have also been on many cruises where I just wasn't bothered to go. It seems very important to some that these be held, but to me it is not important at all.
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Thulewx

As far as when and with whom to book - If cabin location & type is important, then you need to book as soon as possible to be sure to get what you want. Generally, if you book and the prices go down and you haven't sent final payment, you can get your price reduced to the new lower prices if you have a good agent. You can shop at some of the bigger on-line Travel Agencies to get prices and see what they should be. If you have a personal agent, go with them for more personalized service, if not, it may be just as easy to book with the cruise line itself online.
Check the other message boards to see if there are any groups going at the same time as you, to maybe join in with another group, too - can be fun. And more relaxing knowing that other FOD will be on board...
And prepare to be addicted to cruising. They're great!
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:21 AM
mike (and jon)

Default Re: Re: fod party?

barry....do LISTEN to thulewx (phil) as he's been there and done that (pun intended) on about all cruise lines. a very experienced cruiser, both on and off ships lol. phil, i couldn't help it! but you won't have any trouble finding family on cruise ships. know you'll enjoy.
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Barry, I check rates a lot so then you know when you are getting a deal and better jump on it. Many online cruise travel sites have email subscriptions you can sign up for. Sure they clog your email address at times (perhaps 5-10 a week) but you really get a handle on good pricing.

Hope that helps,

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Thulewx

That's ok, Mike - I let it all slide off, especially when I think that, in less than a month, I'll be sitting on a deck on Cook's Bay, looking out at the view of Moorea and Tahiti, while spiffy waiters fill my Rum & coke on board the Paul Gauguin... sigh....
;-)