Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Paul Rodgers

Default Are the Cayman Islands anti-gay?

Dear Everyone,

We have been told by friends that the Cayman Islands have a history of being anti-gay. One of our friends told us that they had even turned away an RSVP cruise in the past. We couldnt confirm that but would be interested in anyone's experience. If it turns out that they really do have a policy of being directly or indirectly anti-gay.......we'll take our gay bucks and spend them someplace that wants our business. Thanks ahead of time. Paul
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:11 PM
JohnInSeattle

Default Re: Are the Cayman Islands anti-gay?

I believe it is true that years ago an all gay cruise was turned away.
However, my partner and I were in Grand Cayman last year and bought our committment rings at a jewelry store there. Everyone was welcoming and helpful and it was obvious that we were buying the rings for ourselves.
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Gary Kulash

I think you will find that many of the ports in more impoverished areas within the Caribbean that are called on by cruise lines tend to be anti-gay, simply because of the lack of education their culture has received over the decades.

Does this mean that random people you run into along the streets will glare at you, or will you be turned away from shops, etc.? Highly doubtful, but not impossible; I personally have avoided cruising to Grand Cayman in particular because it has a pretty nasty reputation on the gay issue.

Plenty of other islands, however, such as Bermuda and Key West, have a more open stance on the issue and welcome gays to their home.

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:58 AM
marvin

the stories you heard are true. when they turned away a RSVP cruise, even the British Government couldn't disuade them. spend your gay bucks elsewhere.
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Tom Schaefer

Default Re: Re: Are the Cayman Islands anti-gay?

I believe it was an Atlantis cruise that was refused entry a number of years ago. I do not think that anyone would experience discriminatory behavior if you got off a straight cruise...unless your shopping outfit was drag...then maybe comments from fellow passengers as well. Me, I do not get off the ship when it anchors there.....I just refuse to give them any money...That island supposedly has one of the highest standards of living out of all islands in the Caribbean ( the most banks per square foot than any other place on the planet)...so I am not hurting anyone....so I stay on board and pretend its a sea day since we are not docked......and have another Cosmo
Just my 2 cents
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Thulewx

I Agree - the governemnt of Caymans is VERY anti-gay, the people are not - they refused entry to the all-gay cruise and will not allow openly gay people on to their territory, it's their law. So I also look at it as a sea day and stay on board - just my way of protesting.