Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Paul Rodgers

Default Tux or suit on "dress night" ???

My partner and I dont seem to agree and could use some outside advise. I think since we both own tuxs and it would seem to make sense to wear them on the "formal" nights. He believes that everyone will be wearing suits and we would "stick out". Any ideas, experiences or suggestions would be helpful.......especially if you agree with me. Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Jerry and Kirk

Default Re: Tux or suit on "dress night" ???

Hey Paul,

Your question is a common one.....take a tux or not? Personally, we leave them at home if the cruise is 10 days or less because they take up too much room in the suitcase, particularly when we need to pack more important things. IF the cruise line suggests that there will be formal nights you won't be out of place wearing a tux but a dark suite is always perfectly acceptable anytime at any dress-up night. If the cruise is longer than 10 days you "may need" an extra suitcase for the duration, so pack your tux's if that makes you happy. It's really your choice. Don't make a big deal out of it, just go and enjoy! We'll be anxious to hear other views and what you decided to do.

Jerry & Kirk
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Passenger

We always drag out tuxes along (we each have two--can't wear the same thing twice). Generally, we find only 25-30% of the men wear them on the moderately priced lines. On Celebrity, I'd say it's more like 50%. Believe me, you won't stick out. As a gay couple, you CAN'T let yourselves be outdressed by any straight men.

We're leaving for Alaska next week and are contemplating ditching the tuxes completely and just spending formal nights in casual dining (like the sushi bar). This won't be like packing for a Caribbean cruise and we will have suitcases jammed with sweatshirts, sweaters and raingear. I hate to take another suitcase along just for formal wear/suits especially since we are going to follow up the cruise with a couple days in Washington (my youngest is graduating from Central Washington University--now Dad will be able to afford even MORE cruises!). I'm afraid we'll have to pay if we have too much luggage.

Jose will be thrilled if I agree to nix the tuxes/suits. Most likely I won't since tradition is hard to break. Maybe we'll leave the dinner jackets at home and just take one tux each. Won't that be a fair compromise?

Brian
Jacksonville, FL

Celebrity Mercury 06/04/04

Costa Classica 11/20/04

QM2 05/22/05
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Definitely on shorties, I would nix the tux. But on aa 7-nighter, I would say about 20-25 percent opt for a tux.

It's your call.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Ron and Jon

We think that formal attire is all part and parcel of the fun of a cruise. There aren't
many occasions in every day life where black tie is required. To us the fun of cruising is
departing from the norm where you do something exciting and different. That is how we
view the wearing of formal attire on specified evenings.

Ron and Jon
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:54 PM
suite life

Default Re: Tux or suit on

Many people wear suits because they do have have a tuxedo. if you both have them I say great-wear them and add to the class of formal night.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Eric & Martin

hey

we only own suits so no tux for us yet :-)

sea ya

E&M
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:28 PM
adam childs

I agree with the comment about you can not be out dresses by the straight people if you dont have tux save room in your suitcase and rent ----thats what we do

Also, with Queer Eye all the rage the straight men will look to you for guidence have fun with what you wear --- you are gay after all --- SHINE ---- ok sparkle
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Absolutely! Bring those Tuxes, you won't stand out, you'll look and feel great. Perhaps even a colorful cumberbun (sp?) or waist coat. JT
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Admiral

I say wear that which makes you feel good about yourself, be that a tux or not. Who cares as long as you feel you look your best.

Post Edited (06-05-04 08:53)
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:28 PM
Passenger

Cruises are all about enjoying yourself. If you want to stick out, then bring the tux! Hey bring on the glitzy cufflinks, broaches, sparkling ear-rings. In a ships of 2000-odd people its difficult to make an impact. If on the other hand you are happy blending in with everyone else, then resort to the dark suits.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:04 PM
Anthony-n-Mikey

Ok fine, Tux, cufflinks, glitter and shiny shoes it is! YAY~ Will they let us bring handcuffs too? hmmmm.....

9/28/04 Diamond Princess to AK....

~ Mikey & Anthony *
Old June 1st, 2004, 01:13 AM
paul rodgers

All these responses are GREAT.....builds my case for bringing the tuxs. Best arguement so far is that we're gay..........and have a VERY BIG responsiblity to bring up the overall fashion quotient on the cruise. Ahhhhhh.....the pressures of being "fab".
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:28 AM
Tom K

Default Re: Re: Tux or suit on "dress night" ???

I bring a tux too.

Everyone who knows me as a nudist makes fun of me as I always brings lots of luggage, even to nudist camp (costumes). All I can say is "All clothing is a costume, so you may as well make it fun". I have items that I wear that mock traditional clothing, like an oversize T-shirt that has a properly sized athletic body painted on wearing a bulging Speedo. Found that in Mexico. It's funny.

Or camouflage mesh pants and shirt, that I have to wear a camo bikini under, but that's sheer too, but the layering covers me enough to get away with it. Being camo, it's supposed to be nearly invisible and than sheer, it is nearly invisible, so I am practically naked and yet not. It makes people laugh. I simply say "it's tough on a nudist to come up with something to wear".

(edited for content - Harry)

Tom K
Charlotte, NC USA
tkoro@cetlink.net
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
nycKruzer

Just got off the QM2 in Southampton, 6 night Transatlantic. Believe me, without a tux on QM2, you are a sore thumb. And on the QM2, black tie means BLACK TIE...keep those Lilly Pulitzer cummerbunds at home fellas. So, I would say that evening dress is dependent on the cruise line and the ambience of the ship. QM2 is sticking to Cunard traditions of yore (maybe a bit more lax, only three formal nights out of six vs. four on QE2 last year). It is pretty thrilling to see the ship transform into a supper club around dusk, plowing through the North Atlantic at thirty knots, those martinis getting fired up in the Commodore Club, hearing the corks pop at the tables around you in the dining room. It's all very Cary Grant , Deborah Kerr, Duke and Duchess of Windsor...even if half of the passengers have no idea who they were. That kind of atmosphere makes you WANT to dress the part. I may be a dinosaur at 46, but I think ANY guy looks great in black tie.
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Paul Rodgers

Ok, that's it. For God's sake, we're queer. Of course we need to bring our tuxs. What could I possibly have been thinking. Someone has to raise the bar for all those straight people.
Old June 4th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Ron and Jon

If we may, a suggestion. If you have a black suit, and these days so many of us do, buy
yourself a formal shirt, studs and black tie. These are readily available and not too
expensive. Together with black shoes, these more than pass for formal night. The plus is, if the occasion calls for less than formal, a regular shirt and tie with the black suit
meets that need. Two outfits with far less packing.

Ron and Jon
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Jerry and Kirk

Default Re: Re: Tux or suit on "dress night" ???

Sorry Ron and Jon, we can't agree with you about a "faux" formal look. Either do it right or don't do it at all!! Look, we're not the fashion police but why intentionally create stares from your fellow passengers in the know??? A dark suite on formal nights is perfectly acceptable.......stick with it!

Jerry and Kirk

PS. We've enjoyed reading your OTHER posts.
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Ron and Jon

As we say, à chaque un son goût, to each his own taste. One dresses to make one feel good. and our economical suggestion was but to help do that.. Besides, people in
the know don't stare...

Ron and Jon
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Jerry and Kirk

Ron and Jon,

TOUCHE!
Old June 4th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Conrad

Round one and three cheers for my buddies Ron and Jon. But as they know, yours truly does not own "formal attire" so I'm heading out in a simple dark suit, stares or no stares, I really couldn't care less as long as I'm having a good time and meeting fun people.

Reading all the comments on "To tux or not to tux" has heightened my desire to get this show on the road or I should say, on the high seas.

Conrad
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Paul Rodgers

Thanks again. But as I said in the beginning.........it wasnt about coming up with an alternative to a tux.........we both own tuxs.........it was trying to agree on bringing a tux or a suit.....we'd have to pack one or the other either way. I said let's do it and Marc was more of the "gee honey, do I have to?" He' be happy in khaki shorts and a t shirt. But when it's all said an done...........I win, thanks to all the posting that are "tux positive" Thanks guys.
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:20 PM
paul rodgers

You know....one last thought about the "formal" thing. What about a smashing black cocktail dress with an ever-so-tasteful slit up the side with a simple silver piece of jewelry............too too?
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:31 AM
ucanbyteme

Do the Tux, we did that to Alaska 2 yearrs ago before Queer Eye and most of the women on the ship were jabbing their husbands about how good we looked and why their spouses looked like shlubs. Its fun too. Even some straight guys told us we looked very sharp! And compelemnts from straight men to gay men about their looks are hard to come by.