Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:54 AM
Passenger

Default How Many Suitcases?

We packed for our Alaska cruise last night and I am embarassed by the number of suitcases that we have. Five seems excessive. I tried blaming all the heavy clothes but finally admitted that we always have this many bags even for Caribbean cruises. It is always most humilating on the final night of the cruise when you notice you have twice as many suitcases outside your door as everyone else does.

#1: 2 pr formal shoes, 4 pr dress shoes, 2 pr gym shoes, socks, underwear (22" bag)

#2: 2 tuxes, 2 suits, 4 sportcoats (large bulging, folding hanging suitcase we could barely zip closed)

#3: sweaters, jackets, sweatshirts, slacks, shirts, shorts, etc (a huge, hernia-inducing bag that I bet we'll have to pay a penalty for)

#4: Small carry-on for toiletries and numerous grooming items (electrical and otherwise)

#5: Carry-on computer bag with no computer, for tickets, wallets, phones, books, magazines, etc.

How many suitcases do you guys take on a 7 day cruise? Make me feel better!

Brian
Jacksonville FL

Celebrity Mercury 06/04/04

Costa Classica 11/20/04

QM2 05/22/05
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: How Many Suitcases?

Don't feel bad at all about your number of suitcases. We ended up with 8 getting off the ship. One we bought onboard to help carry some of the purchases we made. It was a 12 night Alaska cruise so perhaps that is why we had so many. As usual, we did overpack and did not wear everything we took, but almost.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
Jerry and Kirk

Hey Brian,

I'm sure you'll have many opions on this subject matter! Here's ours: We think that one 26 inch suitcase (each) and one carry-on (each) is all you need for a seven day cruise, unless your planning on changing clothes 5 times a day. And we believe you need to reorganize a little too. First, there's no reason for bringing 2 pairs of dress shoes each, 1 pair will do just fine. Really, you don't need ANY sport coats because you already have suites to wear and you can pair the suite coat up with different color slacks for a sporty look. If you want to change the look of your suites (worn as suites) just wear a different dress shirt and tie on different nights, for example: One night a stripped shirt w/ conventional tie, the next time a solid color shirt w/ a pattern bow tie.......use your imagination. No need to pack toiletries and grooming item's in your carry-on, pack them in a suitcase. Just a comb toothbrush/paste, phones along with needed medicine, documents and ID is all you'll need and a paperback if you want something to read on the plane. For Alaska climate, you won't need too many pairs of shorts, 2 pairs tops! Wear a pair of jeans and take a heavy jacket on the plane with you to avoid taking up suitcase space and wear your heaviest pair of shoes ( not your patten leather ones...joke! ). Sorry we can't make you feel better!

Enjoy your trip, no matter what you end up doing.

Jerry and Kirk
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Great advice, Jerry.

Our 7-nighters are -- one garment bag, one big suit case, one small 24-incher (for booze, etc), and two teeny rolling ones that we use as carry-ons.

I would be prone to just either bring the tuxes or the suits, and not both. (There will only be two formal nights). Shoe-wise -- we bring one dress, one sneaker and one pair of flip-flops. For dinner, we bring 2-3 pairs of pants, and just change out the shirts every day.

Hope that helps.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!