Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
danad

Default holland

does anyone know if Holland America is a gay friendly cruise ship? Is the ship nice? Would anyone recommand cruising with them and if so, why?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Default Re: holland

Was on the Veendam last fall. There were several other gay couples on the ship. An FOD party was held midway through the cruise but we had already met everyone. It was a very gay-friendly cruise but then again, I've never been on a gay-unfriendly one.

Brian
Jacksonville FL
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
DirkRK

We were on the Zuiderdam in April for an eastern Caribbean cruise (our first). There was a FOD (Friends of Dorothy) party the second night that was arranged by Dotty our Crusie Director. We met a couple other gay couples and about 4 single gay guys. The crew, who seemed to have a few "family" members in their ranks and the other passengers seemed oblivious to us. The ship we were on had a LOT of older folks and our table mates (a couple in their 70's from Canada) were great and hugged us on the last night after dinner! No problems being a gay person on a HAL cruise, but it's not a flamboyant affair like a gay cruise either.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:57 PM
Paul Rodgers

God, I hope so. We're leaving in a week on the Zuiderdam for a Caribbean cruise. Most of the people I've talked to say it should be a good time for a gay couple like us.
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Admiral

David and I have been on the Veendam twice, the Amsterdam once, and the older retired Westerdam once. H.A.L. has always treated us with equal respect to any other passengers. That, in my opinion, is all anyone can ask for.

H.A.L. is a good product equal to Celebrity and Princess in most ways. Ships vary within cruise lines sometimes as much or more than between cruise lines. For instance our first Veendam cruise, our cabin was incredible and the food was so-so to poor most of the time. Our second Veendam cruise, our cabin was in need of an exhorcist (every mechanical system was in failure most of the cruise.) and the food and service were wonderful.

We loved our Westerdam cruise and were not pleased with our Amsterdam cruise. Ships, companies, and people vary greatly from time to time.
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Passenger

This is, of course, purely my own opinion. If you are going to sail on Holland America, I would recommend one of the newer Vista class ships. So far, this includes the Zuiderdam, the Oosterdam, and the Westerdam. The new Noordam will be next in line.
The reason I say this is because I believe that the older "straight" folks tend to prefer the more staid decor and atmosphere of the older HAL ships. Meny partner and I recently sailed on the new Westerdam ship from Venice and it was absolutely wonderful. The decor is overall elegant yet vibrant. If has the feeling of a classic cruise liner but is very modern with all the amenities one could want. The entire staff was as friendly as could be. I suspect the cruise director was gay and I had the opportunity to get to know one of his female staff members quite well throughout the cruise, and she was the absolute best. I wish I could remember her name, I should have written a letter of commendation to HAL on her. So, this is purely from my experience, but I would say that the Westerdam was as gay friendly as could be.
By the way, there is a gay group sailing out of Seattle to Alaska in September on the Holland America Oosterdam. So, how much more gay friendly does it get than that?
If you'd like more information on this cruise, I'd be glad to provide it to you.
johninbelltown@hotmail.com
Old February 26th, 2005, 11:17 PM
cachito

I am a single gay male cruising on the Westerdam leaving ft lauderdale eastern week!! (03/20/05)
is there any other gay cruiser joining in? Should I request a FOD party to the CD on my arrival day??
aldope3310@yahoo.com
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Passenger

HI

I was on the Volendam last November. I met a fabulous couple that talked me into going on another cruise with them. They didn'thave to hold me down to agree but I wish they had. Every one seemed to get along well. My new friends wre organizers getting a group from cruise critics together daily.

I leave for the Ooesterdam Mar 5th. Will be traveling solo again so hope to meet some family. Maybe I'll be as luckey as last time. (post edited by moderator due to content)
Bob
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Scott and Scott

HI there,

My partner and I have been on 7 cruises with HAL (NoordamX2, Veendam, Westerdam{old} , Rotterdam {old and new}, and Maasdam) and have always had a great time. The staff always include some girlfriends and we inevitably meet other customers as well. No - you cannot make out in the spa but nobody cares that two people of the same sex are partnered up.
Since we have always fought for inclusion this (to us) is the best type of cruise. People of all different types playing well together.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
francois

Zuiderdam is so gay friendly and i would say so is half the staff get the 2nd seating for dinner they let their hair down most of the old people eat at the first dinner oye
and ask for joe the wine guy he is a mess if you order um cheap wine he will give you the good wine the boy is a mess he would tell us he is a dirty gay after 8pm HAL is a great cruise for FOD and the boys in the show are soooooo gay and hang out in the disco after shows