Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Default A whole ship of straightpeople?

My partner and I are going on our first cruise, any advice or knowledge on what its like to go on a non gay cruise? We are a little leary,
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2004, 03:29 PM
mike (and jon)

Default Re: A whole ship of straightpeople?

oh my are you gonna get advice and lots more than from me. first, don't be leery about anything. most cruisers are quite sophisticated for the most part and very accepting. this goes for crews as well. a couple of suggestions:
1. ASK (do not just write a note and leave with purser's staff) a member of the cruise director's staff for an FOD party to be posted in the ship's daily newsletter. virtually all will comply, and those that don't need to be "remembered" to the cruise line with a nasty letter. some lines, like ncl and princess, almost automatically include a FOD notice in the newsletters in the first couple of days. don't let any cd or staff tell you they don't have special group meetings. ALL DO and it's up to the discretion of the cd; be persistent.
2. Take a look at the welcome aboard photos...you'll identify some "family" without a doubt. some friends have actually collected all of the same sex photos and grouped them, then waited around to see the reactions of others when viewing. in most cases, bingo! you'll find family. more direct approach-- board early and sortof hang out to watch the boarders. believe me, the "group" will grow and be easily identifiable (just look for the most refined cruisers lol).
3. Get acquainted with some of the show performers. they'll have the skinney on just about anything. likelihood is some of the cd or purser staff will be family as well, and certainly some of the waiters. just turn on the gaydar and you'll find family for sure!
4. Go to these boards and look up similar subjects. there are plenty of them.

6. Enjoy. you'll have a ball. there's nothing like a "cruise" for fun...no pun intended.
Old June 5th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Craig

Hi Laura..
My partner, Wil, and I have only done non-gay-specific cruises. So far we' ve been on 6:
QE2-transatlantic
Seabourn Sun-Capetown-Las Palmas
Seabourn Spirit-SEAsia
Radisson Mariner-Baltics
Radisonn Navigator-Canada (was to be Bermuda but Hurricane Fabian changed that!)
QM2-Maiden Southampton-Ft. Lauderdale

We've never experienced any troubles being a gay couple. We don't hide that we're gay nor that we're a couple. On all of our trips we've made good friends be they gay/lesbian or straight, young or old, (we're 40 and 47), passenger or crew.

Oddly enough, we've only been to one FOD gathering on a ship, and that was the QM2. Other than that, any people we've met regardless of sexuality, we've met as part of the normal course of a day.

As you'll see, the ships ranged from mega sized (QM2) to small (Seabourn Spirit) and again there were no issues nor discomfort for us.

You and your partner will naturally gravitate to people you're comfortable with and they to you.

Remember...the important thing about a cruise (like any other type of vacation) is to ENJOY YOURSELVES!!

By the way...what cruise are you two going on?
Craig

Old June 5th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Have never sailed on an all-gay cruise and have absolutely no desire to. How can gay people ask to be accepted if they are exclusionistic.

My (now ex) partner and I sailed about 15 times on several cruise lines and we were ourselves, dancing, dining and sleeping together with no problems whatsoever. Cruisers are a very accepting and well traveled crowd over all
Old June 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Admiral

CruiseAholic has it right on this one.

Recent data shows that gay/lesbian travelers represent at least 10 percent of the dollars spent in the travel marketplace, often because they have more discretionary income. Many Gay and Lesbian couples have two incomes and no kids. (DINKS)

No smart businessman wants to lose 10 percent of his or her sales. More and more people in the travel industry are realizing how important this market share really is. The education level on most cruises is fairly high and thus there is strong acceptance by crew and passengers alike.
Old June 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

We've had nothing but good experience. In fact, we had the same worries on our first cruise. Get this -- our first table was for four, and the other couple were Christians in their 40s on their honeymoon.

The first night was a little antsy, but from then on, it was great. We closed the restauarnt every night -- in fact, the waiter thought we were traveling together.

Just relax -- cruisers are a great group of people.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:52 AM
marvin

don't be. travel on straight cruises all the time - ask for a table for two - beds put together - always meet gay people and once the straights realize your scene, they either are friendly or not friendly - just like at home. go for it.
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
rsob

Agree with all the posts. Although my partner and I have only been on two cruises so far, one on NCL and one on HAL, we never encountered any hostility from the room stewards, passengers or other staff. Everyone was nice and attentive.

Just relax and enjoy your cruise!!!

Rick
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

Don't be worried. I cruise a lot but I just returned from a cruise with my boyfriend. It was our 1st together and it was great. At first I was leary myself (Before this cruise I have always cruised with my family) but I learned to relax. In fact when we first got to our cabin our beds were together! I never requested that but the cabin steward figured we were a couple I guess?

As the cruise progressed I did notice the other fellow gay and lesbian travelers. And this was a Carnival cruise and I know they are not known to attract a large gay and lesbian following. Maybe I am wrong at assuming that. The only thing we didnt do was dine in the main dining room. Not because we are a gay couple but because my boyfrend is VERY casual and much prefered eating at the buffet but after the 4th night of buffet food he even said next time we cruise we will use the dining room some nights.

But go ahead and have a great time. I really can't wait to take another cruise with my boyfriend it is very romantic.