Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:41 PM
JohnInSeattle

Default 6/7 PRIDE OF ALOHA

Just a quick THANK YOU to the great group of guys I met who made this otherwise terrible cruise A LOT OF FUN!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe and Ivan
Default Re: 6/7 PRIDE OF ALOHA

Hi John,

Please provide more detail on how things are working on the Pride with their all-US crew. We were on the same ship when it was the Sky and were very happy with the previous crew. However, the ship was beginning to train some US crew members who seemed lack the professionalism and dedication that we witnessed with the more experienced non-US crew members.

Thanks, Joe and Ivan
South Padre Island, Texas
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Jerry and Kirk

Hey John,

What was so "terrible" about the cruise??? Was it the ship, U.S. crew, food, a combination of all, or???
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:26 AM
John In Seattle

What went wrong with the Pride of Aloha?

First of all, the "refurbishment" of the Sky took 30 days and it shows. The Hawaiian decor for the most part is extremely cartoonish and very pasted on looking, like a tacky veneer on an otherwise nice ship. The two exceptions to this are the main dining room which was lovely and I was told it was not touched at all and the Outrigger Lounge which was quite lovely. The rest of the Hawaiian decor was cheap looking.

The rooms were even tackier. The beds were hard and the hot pink and blue and green color scheme was rather loud.

The food was mediocre at best.

But worst of all, was the LACK of service and the piss poor attitude of most everyone I met who worked on the ship.

I never once met my room steward. When I called him once to request a blanket, he responded, "Yeah, I'll get ya one when I can." It never showed up. The sheets were not changed once during a 4 day cruise. How can I tell? Ah, figure it out. I made a tiny dot in the corner of the sheet the first day - it remained during the remainder of the cruise.
The bathroom was dirty and I found hairs in the shower and on the floor and ceiling and I hadn't even used the facility yet. The steward made the bed and changed the towels but didn't even vacuum. Again, I did my piece of lint test - it remained on the carpet the entire cruise.

Th dining room waiters for the most part were young, unprofessional and acted like they could not care less and wanted to be anywhere but on the ship. There was again ONE exception to this when I showed up immediately upon opening of the main dining room for breakfast and I was one of maybe 20 folks in the dining room. I had the pleasure of a lovely breakfast served by a young man who was gracious and helpful.
Keep in mind I ate all 3 meals in the main dining room and, at every other meal the service was non-existent and the staff acted indifferent. I had one room service stewart admit to me that most of the crew hated being there and had no intention of providing high quality service and how they enjoyed spending most of their time making fun of the passengers. He was planning on leaving the ship as soon as he could.
I didn't even bother with the buffet as I heard many others saying how bad the food was there other than a few tasty desserts.

When I passed any of the crew in the hallways and greeted them, rather than receiving a welcoming smile and return greeting, I usually received either a grunt or nothing at all.
Most of the time the young crew looked at me like I was nuts to think they would speak to me. They are an extremely arrogant bunch of young kids who have obviously no work ethic and thought they were in for a free ride on a cruise ship and were sorely disappointed.

Keep in mind that if you are planning on making any duty free purchases including alcohol in the ship's shops, you won't find them. You won't find any liquor in the shops at all and everything else is regularly priced and taxed as if you were buying it in a local store.

I predict that this concept will fail horribly and NCL will abandon the idea of an all American crew and resume the cruises with a foreign port stop such as Fanning Island.
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:47 AM
CF

John, I am not really surprised about your description of the crew attitude. We all know how the most of the young generation behave these days. Think about some 20 year old kid that has had everything done for them working 7 days a week. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said theat they thought they were getting "free ride on a cruise ship". It really is too bad that NCL couldn't make this work. Did you see the article about NCL canceling some recent cruises because of crew burnout. I think this must be a first in the history of cruising. Try to look at this experience positivly. It will make all your future cruises seem even nicer!
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

John, quite a report! We were on teh Pride of Aloha when it was the Sky back in 2001. I smiled when you said the beds were hard, because I even requested a foam mattress on the second day at sea.

Very interesting on the crew ... but it doesn't surprise me. Most 20-something kids in the U.S. have no work ethic.

I'll post the recent article about the cancelling of the cruises.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

News about cancellation of cruises:

NCL Cancels Pride of Aloha Voyage; "Crew Exhausted"

In what's a relatively unprecedented reason for canceling a cruise, Norwegian Cruise Line has announced that Pride of Aloha will forgo a two-day weekend voyage that was slated to begin Saturday -- because its crew members are, according to company spokeswoman Susan Robison, "exhausted."

Pride of America just launched in June. What's different about the crew on this ship results from the fact that the vessel flies an American flag, which gives NCL a lot of benefits over the big-ship competition -- it can offer cruising's only seven-night roundtrip itineraries from Honolulu, avoiding calls at foreign ports. However, the cruise must also toe-the-line on strict U.S. regulations, one of which is that the majority of crewmembers must come from the United States -- and the U.S., unlike many other countries, has not had a long tradition of cruise crew service. As such, NCL has faced challenges in training a whole new generation of onboard crew in preparation for the ship's preliminary cruises and its inaugural sailing, which departs from Honolulu on July 4.

"This is a complete switch from an international crew and management to a U.S. crew and management almost literally overnight," Robison said. "Our U.S. crew has done a great job but they are simply exhausted, and the situation is in danger of developing into burn-out if we do not allow everyone to wind down for a couple of days."

NCL has also canceled a one-night party cruise in Hawaii on July 2. NCL has not, however, kiboshed the upcoming trans-Pacific repositioning, a 12-night voyage that is slated to arrive in Honolulu on July 2.

Since Pride of Aloha, until now known as NCL's Norwegian Sky, emerged from its transformative dry dock on June 7, the ship has sailed two revenue cruises. Pride of Aloha is the first modern passenger ship to carry the U.S. flag in almost 50 years.

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Jerry and Kirk

Default Re: Re: 6/7 PRIDE OF ALOHA

Thanks guys.....for confirming what we already knew about American crews.

Some years ago, we sailed on both of American Hawaii ships, the Independence and the Constitution ( American crews). Most of the crew were kids looking for a summer vacation and wanting to get paid union wages for it.....hello!!! At one port stop, I informed our lazy cabin steward that we would be off the ship for the day visiting my cousin (a minister of an old mission church) and his new wife. When we stepped onto the dock the rental car we ordered was waiting for us and we were ready and anxious to gooooo. Suddenly, I remembered that I left my medication in the cabin so I went back to get it. When I opened the cabin door I was SHOCKED to see that the cabin had been transformed into a dimly lit romantic setting and that the steward was about to entertain a girl in OUR cabin! Of course I threatened to report him if he didn't buck up, and he did....to some degree....very little degree.

There's much, much more to the story but I won't go on, except to say that both ships were TUBS and should have been scrapped years before they actually were.

Aloha!

Jerry
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM
JohnInSeattle

Default Re: Re: Re: 6/7 PRIDE OF ALOHA

Jerry, that's almost funny, but not quite
The only thing I ever walked in on a room steward doing was leafing through my partner's "MEN"S FITNESS" magazine. I think he was enjoying it too