Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
rsob

Default Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

Hello All,

We just upgraded to a deluxe verandah suite on the Westerdam Aug. 30, does anyone have any information on what the suite is like? The benefits of having a travel agent, we called to ask her what the cost of upgrading was and at the time it was $2300.00 per person. A week later Holland faxes out special upgrade fares to our travel agent for our cruise and we received a great deal!

Thanks,

Rick
Oceanside, CA
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

Rick:

We recently had a deluxe verandah suite on another HAL ship and it was great! Besides the size of the suite and verandah, the separate dressing area with sink, the butler service, the nightly hors d'oeuvres, and the formal night boutonnieres, our very favorite amenities were the free laundry/dry cleaning/shoe shines. Keep that in mind when you're packing. You can do send things out as often as you like. We even sent all of our dirty clothes to the laundry the last full day of the cruise and were able to pack all clean clothes to take home. It was nice not to have to face all that dirty laundry when we got back.

Lucky you!

Brian
Jacksonville FL

Carnival Miracle - Cruise To Nowhere 11/05/04

Costa Classica - Mediterranean 11/20/04

Thomson Spirit - Canary Islands 04/02/05

QM2 - Transatlantic 05/28/05
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:15 PM
rsob

Default Re: Re: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

Brian,

Thanks for the reply. We are so excited about this cruise, now even more that we upgraded. The picture of the suite looks wonderful, but it's good to hear first hand what to expect.

Thanks again!

Rick
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:35 PM
thulewx

One word of adjustment - there is no butler service per se... There is a concierge lounge (Neptune Lounge) for S & PS pax only, that has fresh breakfast stuff in the morning, tea sandwiches, etc, after noon, hors doeuvres evenings, with a concierge who can make all your reservations for you, help planning cocktail parties, etc. They pretty much do all that a butler would do, but they don't normally come to your cabin unless you need something there.
They're great!!
Old July 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Boy, sounds fantastic!

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Beginner

Have not been on the Westerdam since it's been retrofitted, but the verandah cabin was very nice in it's last season prior to rehab; would assume it would be as good or better now.

HAL is a class operation and one of my favorite lines, I'm sure you will have a ball!
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Passenger

I thought the Westerdam was a brand new ship??
Old July 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM
rsob

The Westedam is a new ship, just started sailing this year. Don't know what HAL did with the old Westerdam.

Rick
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

The recently replace Westerdam in now the Costa Europa. The ship looks really strange with an all white hull.
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:20 AM
John In Seattle

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

Keep in mind that passengers in the deluxe verandah suites do NOT have access to the concierge lounge.
The Westerdam is a new ship and we were on the ship on it's inaugural voyage from Venice this April.
The beds are divine, the in room robes are fluffy and you will be treated well and pampered - ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!
Old August 1st, 2004, 09:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

The Westerdam must be different then the Zuiderdam then. On the Z, S and PS used the lounge and SS did not.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 11:09 AM
rsob

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

Hey John,

Did you have a Deluxe Verandah Suite or a Deluxe Verandah Stateroom? Our travel agent and the HAL brochure say that Deluxe Verandah Suites do have access to the Neptune Lounge. We were originally booked into a Deluxe Verandah Stateroom which does not come with access to the lounge, but we upgraded to a suite.

Thanks,

Rick
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM
thulewx

Don't go by the name, go by the category code. PS (Penthouse) and S suites have the extras. SS do not.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
rsob

That's what we're in, an "S" category suite.

Rick
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Westerdam Deluxe Verandah Suite

We have sailed on both the Ziuderdam and new Westerdam in Category S - Superior Suite. Categories PS and S offer the amenities described in previous messages, including 500 sq. ft. stateroom with king bed, sectional sofa, large screen TV (Westerdam), DVD, CD stereo, champagne, fresh flowers, mini-bar, dressing room, double vanity sink, separate shower, whirlpool tub and access to the Neptune Lounge.

You will love it and once you have traveled this way, you will never go back!

Bon Voyage!

Robert
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Todd&Troy

Hey Rick,

We were on the Westerdam on May 19th out of Venice and trust me, you'll love the Deluxe Verandah Suite (cat S), and yes you will have access to the Neptune Lounge. I found myself there several times a day munching on the chocolates and using the cappuccino machine. The suite will have all of the amentities mentioned in the other posts, but our two favorite things were the bed/linens and the full size table and chairs on the verandah - great for a private dinner after a long day of touring. Have a great time and feel free to email me with any questions or cabin pic requests. I don't know why, but I always seem to take lots of pictures of our room on trips. It's always funny to watch Troy downloading the day's pics onto his laptop scratching his head and asking "did you mean to take all of these??" :-)

Cheers,
Todd
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:09 AM
rsob

Todd,

I'd love to see pics of the suite if you can send them. We're very excited about the cruise and upgrading to the suite just makes it that much more exiciting!

Thanks,

Rick
Old August 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Todd, by chance, would you create a gallery here on Cruisemates. People love to see lots of details of the cabins. (Also, on a personal note, my mom raves about the HAL suites, and I would like to see one too)

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Todd&Troy

Hey Guys,

I created a gallery with our photos of the suite. I thought I had more but I guess we didn't take many pictures this time.

Cheers,
Todd
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:56 AM
rsob

Wow, the pics of the suite look great!! I can't wait till our cruise, 24 days and counting. I know we're going to get so spoiled having a suite, it'll be hard to go in anything smaller next time.........but I'm sure we'll force ourselves.

Thanks!!

Rick
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Todd, thanks *so* much for the gallery -- I'm sure many future cruisers will appreciate it.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!