Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:01 PM
NYC95

Default Triple the airfare cost to RSVP cruise in Feb.2005

I just spent the last 3 days looking for reasonable airfare for RSVP's February 20th 2005
cruise. I live in New York and can usually get down to,Ft.Laudedale,for under $200.00
at that time of year.However,because the cruise is leaving over a long weekend the airlines have jacked up their rates. My travel agent was the first to make me aware of this situation. She told me that because the cruise was happening during the President's Day weekend that the prices would be higher and that I shouldn't wait too long to book. I thought she was just trying to increase her commission by trying to get me to book a airfare for $463.00 but she was right. I've looked at,Expedia,CheapTickets,HotWireTravelZoo, Yahoo and PriceLine and I"ve seen the airfares from New York go from $400-$700 for that weekend.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2004, 12:36 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Triple the airfare cost to RSVP cruise in Feb.2005

It is true that there are fewer discounted seats on holiday weekends, in the winter to South Florida. The ones that are offered tend to sell quickly. You may want to keep your eye on it for a little while, the airlines may open up additional seats depending on how many have been sold. You also may want to check jetBlue.com and southwest.com as their flights are not listed on the sites that you mentioned in your post.

Good Luck!
Old August 21st, 2004, 07:25 AM
Familiar Face

Did you try booking from other airports? Newark, Islip? That day, being a Sunday everything in both directions will be full! Try going Thur or Fri. come home Mon or Tues.
Why would you ever book on one of those travel services anyway? They all suck!!!
They also charge a fee for ticketing!! Always book at the airlines own web site for the best price(except for priceline you can't pick your airline,flight or get miles) Also did you check the fares into Palm Beach? I winter in Boca Raton and sometimes find great deals to PBI. Also remember it's winter so allow extra time( a day or 2) just incase it snows! And rember Southwest has a high overbooking rate and won't cross ticket!!! And you may want to try USA3000.com to check their prices!

Good luck,Dave
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:31 PM
Passenger

Presidents weekend and the large number of ships that will be sailing that day makes me think the price is not going to drop a lot. Did you check spirit airlines?? May also want to check Miami but the cost and hassle of travel to Lauderdale from Miami probably would not be worth it unless it was considerably cheaper. Good luck and hope to meet you onboard
Old August 23rd, 2004, 08:02 AM
Dad Son Team

Not only is it just a long holiday weekend, but many schools close for winter recess for that whole week! I would not wait since alot of people book the flights over these dates 11 months(the maximum time) in advance.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:49 PM
NYC95

I tried,JetBlue, and the airfare was $509 roundtrip and Spirit airlines was charging $410.
I also looked at flights out of,JFK,Lguardia and Newark but they were all in the $400-700
range.

I finally found a semi-descent airfare on,Orbitz, for $286.00 round trip out of ,Laguardia.
My problem wasn't getting to Ft,laudedale.It was the flight scheduales coming back.
Everything was from 6AM-12:45PM
RSVP, tells it's passengers to not book a flight prior to 2PM on the day they return to port.
This is done because they don't know how long the ispection of the ship will take and also because 1800+ passengers and only a handul of cabs going to the airport at any one time is going to cause a huge glut of people waiting at the terminal for car service.
This causes alot of people who booked before 2PM to miss their flights. My flight back on the 27th is a 3:45PM, so I feel okay about disembarkation.

Mark,I hope to see you on board too. Let's plan to have a drink together. Who knows
maybe we can get the infamous,Capt. Tom to join us.
Old August 24th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Triple the airfare cost to RSVP cruise in Feb.2005

286. sounds like a great fare to me. You will also have plenty of time in Lauderdale. We still lived in the Midwest after our RSVP cruise on Maasdam. Our flight was late afternoon so went to brunch and then hung out at one of the guest houses. Who is in hurry to get back to snow and cold anyway.

Look forward to meeting for a drink!
Mark
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:44 PM
NYC95

Prior to the trip I'm going to contact,Capt.Tom. The cruise has sold out so it should be alot of fun. I've been on various websites to see what the Westerdam looks like. Aside from a god awful color scheme (yellow and purple) in one of the bars it looks quite nice.
I'm thankful that they got away from the color red. It was so prevelant on the Zuiderdam.
I felt like I was in a Chinese bagoda. And for me to notice a off color scheme then it must really be bad.

See ya on the ship
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Passenger

Yes the Z was quite wild as compared to the older HAL ships but the Westerdam seems a little more subdued. You can still feel the Carnivalization with these new builds. I know we will have a great time.
Old September 5th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Todd R

I've had good luck search for flights through http://www.flight-picks.com

You can search by fare or availability.

Keep this tip in mind when searching - use NYC (for all New York airports) vs. limiting your search to JFK/LGA, etc...
Old September 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM
NYC95

I already booked the flight with the airfare of $286.00 but thank you, Todd, for the tip.
I'll use it in the future.
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:21 AM
beartraprr

Wow, with those prices you might want to consider driving down. If need be that can be done in 24 hours straight (sic) through, but the drive can also be a lot of fun, neat places to stop along the way.

Parking at the port is only $12. a day and I bet you could find a place in town to park for next to nothing. Also, no rental car to deal with or cabs, and security checkpoints. ALso, having your own car gives you so many more options.

I am sailing on the RSVP cruise, both Feb 2005 and Alaska.....Cannot wait.

John