Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe and Ivan
Default Oceania Regatta in November 2005

Hi,

We'll be on the Oceania Regatta for a Mediterranean cruise beginning November 5 and a transatlantic beginning November 17. Scheduled destinations for the Mediterranean cruise will be Barcelona, Benghazi (Libya), Tripoli (Libya), Malta, Tunis, Gibraltar, Casablanca, Seville, and Lisbon. The transatlantic cruise will be from Lisbon to Miami, with no port stops in between.

This is a smaller ship with just over 600 passengers. We would like to hear from others who have sailed on Oceania ships.

Thanks, Ivan
South Padre Island, Texas
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:47 PM
ste

Default Re: Oceania Regatta in November 2005

We just got off the Regatta Caribbean cruise. The small ship is wonderful for meeting people. The food is fantastic, and the service is even better. Most of the crew is Eastern European with excellent English, and they are very attentive and friendly. It is not unusual to chat with a waiter for a few minutes during a meal or with a steward in the hallways. The quality of ingredients, preparation, and presentation of the food in all venues was very good. Service at the Terrace Grill buffet was surprisingly equal to the service in the Grand Dining Room. The staterooms are comfortable and nicely decorated with lots of storage space. The public areas are beautifully maintained. The entertainment staff tried hard, but I felt the program was too conservative (Barbara Striesand impersonator, 50's/60's variety show, and too much Mozart from the string quartet). There is limited nightlife after the show ends at 10:30. Our cruise had an excellent guest lecturer who worked for many years as a National Geographic photographer. There were daily bridge, bingo, shuffleboard, table tennis, and trivia contests, but beyond that passengers are on their own for shipboard entertainment. This isn't a problem for me since the Oceania ships have a well-stocked library and plenty of deckspace for lounging, but I could see some people getting quite bored. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Hi,

This seems to be perfectly suited for us. We're both 60ish, into reading, and we go to bed early anyway. But wouldn't it be campy if the Streisand impersonator could be a guy!!

Thanks,

Ivan
South Padre Island
Old December 23rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
ste

Ivan, I think you will enjoy the trip. We are 40ish and had a great time. Talking to WWII vets is always fun. We were in bed most nights before 9:30 since we had excursions planned in every port. We didn't meet anyone on our cruise who was disgruntled or said they wouldn't cruise again on Oceania. Babs was a woman.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:47 PM
Passenger

My dears (),

Well, our memories of WW2 are quite dim, since that's when we were born or thereabouts, but we have clear memories of the War in Viet Nam. Joe was a nurse in the Army there. I was an anti-war protester, but I ended up working for the Army Medical Department as a civilian writer of medical training materials. Go figure!!

With our different experiences with the Army, however, we have both known many WW II vets who were guiding lights and inspirations for us both.

Also, we've known a number of fine gay medical doctors and nurses who served with distinction in the Army.

Many thanks

Joe and Ivan
South Padre Island, Texas