Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Passenger

Default Island Princess Info Needed

My partner and I are planning a cruise on the Island Princess. We're interested in cabins C728, C727, B734 and B737. Can any Princess veteran tell us whether those cabins afford both an aft and side view? The brochure indicates they do, but my TA says she believes there is a partition on the aft side, preventing an unobstructed aft view.

Also, how friendly is Princess to family?
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Island Princess Info Needed

I would say in real estate parlance that it's a peek-a-boo aft view. If you look at the plan, there is a public deck fully facing the aft wake, with two access doors. This just came up I think on the Princess board. Try posting there, too.

We are doing the Cruisemates cruise on the Island next January to Hawaii. Should be great.

And, we have found Princess to be the most gay friendly the mainstream lines we have been on.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Island Princess Info Needed

Hawaii in January 2006? The cruise we are considering is the January 6, 2006, Los Angeles roundtrip to Hawaii -- is that the same one?

Thanks for the information but, if you've had any experience with the Island Princess, would you recommend another cabin? We love aft-facing cabins, but the Island obviously doesn't have any so that's why we are considering these specific rooms.
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Jerry and Kirk

Default Re: Re: Re: Island Princess Info Needed

Hi guys,

We just got off the Island Princess last week. It sailed to Hawaii (RT from the Port of Los Angeles). Can't tell you anything about the cabins your asking about but I can tell you that the crew were VERY gay friendly. I requested 2 FOD meetings which were granted...no problem. Tim, an assistant cruise director arranged for 3 more meetings. How much more friendly can that be? Oh, at the first meeting Tim and Alice (another assistant cruise director) served us all unlimited champagne.

Get use to the word Aloha, you'll be using it a lot!

Jerry (and Kirk)
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Jonathon, yep, we are booking the Jan. 6th cruise. It's a Cruisemates cruise (45 cabins reserved). You don't have to do any group things if you don't want, but the pricing is great and a $125 cabin credit.

Here is the link for more info:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...incess2006.cfm

By the way, Shar from Cruisemates booked one of the aft cabins on the Dolphin ... we sailed with she and her husband last year.

Harry

Post Edited (01-27-05 11:58)

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Passenger

Yep, we are also booked on the 1-6-06 cruise in cabin C727. I'm a bit antsy because: 1. I've read Caribe balconies are not covered and, therefore, always in the sun/rain and... 2. I just finished reading a terrible review about Princess. Sigh. Must make a note to stop reading bad reviews about ships upon which I plan to sai!.

But I am confused by your message. You say it's a "peek-a-boo" aft view. Whatcha mean?

Also, we would much prefer a balcony that is at least half covered. Should we switch to the Baja deck -- even if those balconies/rooms are smaller?

We are very familiar with RCCL and Celebrity, but know nothing 'bout Princess and this is becoming very frustrating.
Old January 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Jonathon,

You booked the ideal balcony -- the ones on *Dolphin* are totally uncovered, but the ones on Caribe are the same size, but half covered and half uncovered (if they are like every other Princess ship). The Caribe deck is *very* sought after.

In fact, you will be right above Shar and her husband. We just booked the aft one on the other side of Dolphin D726.

From the deck plan, it looks like a section of the balcony faces aft, so you will get the feel there ... it's just not a straight on aft view.

By the way, Baja and Aloha balconies are usually much smaller. I think youo have the ideal.

On reviews, I have read rave ones about mini suites on the Island for the Hawaii cruise. Honestly, like 3 or so in a row.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the quick response, Harry. And thank you for the information. It's just that we have been reading all sorts of negative things about C727: not covered, windy, etc. Do you by chance... or anybody... have some pictures of that cabin's balcony we would greatly appreciate a forward. I'm afraid we've become rather spoiled by having aft-facing and very large balcony cabins aboard some of Celebrity's Millennium-class ships.

Thanks!
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:22 PM
SharB

Hi Jonathanjay!

You might want to check out Cruisecritic.com, go to the Princess board and search for Island Princess. I've found lots of discussion and posts from previous cruiser on IP.

To answer your question, here are some IP balcony photos, check out the web site:

http://community.webshots.com/album/94785503RvSEXc

Shar
Old January 28th, 2005, 10:38 PM
SharB

Oops..I noticed that you already posted "over there". Hope you're finding the info you need. :o)

Shar
Old January 29th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Jonathon, from what I see, the glass of the railing wraps around to the aft, so there is definitely the chance to look aft.

Gonna check out Shar's link

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Passenger

Thanks Harry... just one additional question: Do you know if the C727 balcony is totally covered, partially covered or totally uncovered?
Old February 10th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Passenger

Just returned from Tahitian Princess French Polynesia 10 day cruise and cannot give any specifics about Island Princess but can tell you that the ship I was on was just great! Food, staff, accommodations, entertainment were tops. Ate in the Sterling Steakhouse & it was OK but not terrific. Also ate at Sabatini's Italian and definetly worth the $20 surcharge. Great meal all around. Would definitely recommend Princess as 1 of the top cruise lines. Have a great trip!
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Jonathon,

Caribe should be half open and half covered. You can see that sorta in the aft photos on how the coverings step up.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!