Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:34 PM
CruisinMaterial

Default FOD on Carnival

Hi Guys,

I'm sailing on Carnival on May 22, 2005 for the first time and this is the first time in two years that I've sailed on a straight cruise. I'm going with mom this time though but would love to hang out with other gay couples on board or have people to hang out with in the discos. Now there's been some talk about a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting or lack thereof on some cruise lines. Is this something that Carnival does or does not do? I've seen a posting for HAL and since they are part of the Carnival Corporation PLC, I figure I'd better start questioning whether they will allow me to have a meeting of that nature on the Carnival Destiny.

Also, how flexible are they for party planning? I was thinking of spicing it up and bringing along some of my CDs so that the DJ has current stuff but wanted to plan a theme party, similar to those on gay cruises. Do you think they'll let me do something like this? I've sailed Atlantis the last two years four times and am now spoiled at the age of 23 for gay cruising!

~Jake
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc
Default Re: FOD on Carnival

Hey

They will not let you post a FOD meeting in the Carnival Capers while on your cruise, best idea is to post messages on message boards, and see about setting up a meeting time, before you board that ship.

As for you bringing your CD's, I am not sure that the DJ will play your cd's, unless he is going to do that for everyone. The cd's he will have onboard, have probaly been approved by the cruise director, and yours have not.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:34 PM
Mark and Michael

Paul:
From your response to Jake, you seem to be in the travel industry or have some very first hand info regarding Carnival. If the former be true, please do us all a favor and let Carnival Inc. know that this is antiquated and discriminatory practice and is not appreciated by a significant segment of their customer (or potential!) base. Meetings for the "Friends of Bill W" are routine across the board. If that is not a special interest group than what is?
Mark
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:56 PM
CruisinMaterial

Mark, I do agree with you in your statement and I may just seek out Carnival and find out what their policy is on this matter. Living in MA and being up to date on the fight for equal rights preservation, I can't figure out why they would institute such a policy. I know that Princess had some form of informal gathering during the Coral Princess cruise I did back in 2003 with them. There were tons of gay folks on that cruise and it was 10-days! I didn't know at the time what "Friends of Dorothy" was, nor did I know what "Friends of Bill W" was either! I've learned a lot in the past two years!

Paul, it's funny you mention that because on that Coral Princess cruise I was subjected to tons of Latin music because there was a significant latin population on board and the DJ only played the music that got people on the dancefloor and it was music they brought on board. I guess I'll just have to investigate this a bit more.

~Jake
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Beginner

I was on the Grand Princess in September 03 for a Canadian/New England cruise. One of the staff members hosted three FOD meetings, all of which were advertised in the daily newsletter. He even provided cocktails and champagne!

I will be travelling alone on the Carnival Glory (May 14th, Eastern Caribbean). I will check out what they have to offer. If they are not willing to support us, then maybe we shouldn't support them.

Judson
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Mark and Michael

Hey guys-
Just got back last night from a straight cruise to the Yucatan on RCCL's Splendour of the Seas. Lots of our "sisters" onboard and a few guy couples. Daily Friends of Bill W. meetings but not one F.O.D. Just thought you'd like to know for future travel planning.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Passenger

Hello Jake

Me and my companion have sailed carnival 3 times never seen a fod on carnival we sailed Princess in sept and there was a ship sponsered fod on caribbean Princess we just got off Zuiderdam yesterday and there was a fod every day all these lines are owned by the carnival corp so I dont understand why carnival wont do a fod but they wont.
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:15 AM
CruisinMaterial

Hi Cybrguys & Everyone Else,

When it comes to Princess Cruises, they are still their own separate identity although they are owned by Carnival. When Carnival took over P&O Cruises, they wanted to keep EVERYTHING the same. What's the point of taking a cruise line and assimilating it into your own market niche when their nich is just as successful? You wouldn't buy a cruise line that was going under because it didn't have revenue. I think this would be a prime explanation as to why Princess still offers FOD parties because they did all along before they were bought by Carnival.

Why HAL does them? I think it's just because they deal primarily with RSVP Vacations and they know about the gay community.

RCCL is a completely separate company, although you should know that if you sail Celebrity, which charters Atlantis, you'll find FOD parties there. I have no idea why there isn't a uniform policy for all cruise lines to have them. We don't bite, do we boys? :-)

~Jake
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Admiral

I have seen FOD notices on CCL ships in the past. Approch the CD with the idea of placing a notice in the Capers. He will probably resp0ond favorably if possible. As for a private party, not going to happen unless you pay for the use of one of the lounges beforehand and that is arranged through your TA normally. My understanding is that Princess is probably the most Gay friendly cruiseline. Carnival owns Princess. There are a significant number of crew and staff that are gay/lesbian. I have seen and met many passengers who are gay onboard CCL ships and have not heard anything negative about the treatment. As for playing your CD, I don't think they will or can but you can ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Jim

Old May 6th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Roy Castle

I hope that Carnival has FOD meetings. We will be on Legend on May 29 and hope to ask for FOD in the Capers.
From experience on RCCL I asked the Pursers office to place FOD on the schedule and he was not at all receptive. I went to the CD who had the FOD on the schedule every other night in the disco. He and many other crew members attended to dance along with us.