Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:09 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe and Ivan
Default Time: "A Welcome Mat for Gays?"

There's an article in Time Magazine, June 6, 2005, describing both problems and changing attitudes toward gays in the Caribbean. You can read it at:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...066926,00.html

While Jamaica is entrenched in its homophobia, Saint Thomas and Puerto Rico can be very gay-friendly islands.

Ivan
South Padre Island, Texas

Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Time: "A Welcome Mat for Gays?"

Thanks for sharing. We had heard that the Cayman Islands and Jamaica were intolerant. We were in St. Thomas and St. Maartens in April and had no bad experiences.

Grandeur of the Seas 7/18/04
Galileo 1987
M.S. Caribe 1980
Emerald Seas 4/79
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to chipandjohn

Does this mean the kiss I landed on my partner in down town Barbados could have landed me in jail? We were bargaining with a cabbie and he addressed us as Ďyou and your brotherí. I just said would brothers do this, and I gave my partner a big kiss. If youíre wondering NO we didnít have that cab. But just to add, after several visits to the Caribbean weíve never had a problem. We have never visited Jamaica.
John

HAC Oosterdam 04/14/07,Celebrity Century 04/00, Horizon 11/01,Millennium 12/01 Infinity 10/04, Zenith 12/05,Princess Caribbean 09/02, Sun 11/03, Island 09/06 RCCL Mariner 05/06 Carnival Victory 03/03
Carnival Freedom
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

John

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Mark and Michael

Harry:
This is not a "" situation. You have admitted not to have ever taken a Gay cruise yet you seem to be an authority on gay cruise travel. I know for a fact that not all islands, countries etc. are not in the least bit gay friendly, and I suspect that you know the same.
Let's not treat these things casually. Read up on the Caymans, Jamaica and while you're at it, Egypt. There is nothing to laugh about here!
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Admiral

John sent me this email and asked for it to be posted:

Hello Harry
I tried to post this reply on the message about gays in the island but having some problems. Thanks for your reply. the couple we were with had a big laugh about what happen with the kiss and we've been friends seen the cruise in 2000 and still laugh about it. I've attached the note to M and M.

M or M I have to come to the defense of Harry. At the time it was a laughing matter. The straight couple that was with us had such a big laugh too and we still laugh about when we talk. Ok M or M after finding out itís illegal in barbarous is a little scary that I could have been jailed. But my partner and I have been on several cruises and never had any problems and we meet a large amount of people who become friends. We donít express public affection that would cause attention but we donít do that at home either. I was married for 19years and didnít even do that while straight. We may get Ďlooksí while taken formal pictures or going to couples workshop for personal care. We are ourselves and have a wonderful time.

And NO we havenít been on an all-gay cruise. I know that cases Iíve read may be isolated and not the case in many all gay cruises, but I donít care for being on a cruise where it a free-for-all out right sex party. So many people forget the respect for others even with their partner next to them. This doesnít happen in the straight world. Iíve been there. Iíve always had a saying ďIím on vacation and Iíll never see these people againĒ and have the best of time. That doesnít always work with cruises but it sure gives us a lot to talk about later as friends. Sorry I really got off the subject.

You were nice to responsed to another of my post about, being another bear in Alaska. I was scheduled for that cruise May 7th but had to have back surgery. Our next cruise in Oct will make up for lost time and Alaska will always be there. I will be looking for single rate cruises next year if you see any come by on the boards that I miss.

thanks for your informative post.

John Wilkerson

Marietta Ga.

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Mark and Michael, I thought the story was a cute one -- that's why I wrote .

And, you are right -- I've never been on a gay cruise, but we are a gay couple who travels. I don't think I have ever said I am an authority on anything (other than selling homes, or making a good gin & tonic.) :-)

From moderating the Board for the past two years, I find that most of our posters are cruising on mainstream lines and not on gay charters. When someone asked a question about RSVP, etc, I try to generate responses from those who have had experience with those firms. The same goes for places I've never had the opportunity to visit.

Yes, I have read many of the accounts of which you speak, but again, the was regarding John's story and nothing more.

Harry

Post Edited (06-05-05 14:22)

[b]Get Lei'd!