Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Dingo

Default Gay Group Cruises

Can anyone recommend a company that deals with group cruises? I'd like to travel with other gay people, but not be on an all gay cruise. What have your experiences been with these types of cruises? I like mainstream big ships. Please share your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe and Ivan
Default Re: Gay Group Cruises

Google for "gaygroupcruises" and you find the Pied Piper site. They arrange for gay groups to travel on main-line cruises. You will find their prices to be the same as the advertised rates for others, and they do provide extra activities for people traveling with the group. Typically, everyone in the group joins the same dinner seating, and it's a good way to meet and socialize with other gays.

Ivan
South Padre Island, Texas

Old September 10th, 2005, 08:20 PM
SkinnyJason

Default Re: Gay Group Cruises

I was left very unimpressed with Pied Piper. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about them here, since they are essentially a travel agent, but I would encourage you to keep looking. If we are not allowed to talk about Pied Piper directly, I have comments below that hopefully survive the moderators. :-)

-----------

While being a small gay group on a large ship does sound appealing at first, there are some drawbacks. I think there are more "awkward moments" than if you just pick a normal cruise and take your chances. Why are all the men together? Is it a fraternity? Why do they always sit together? What does the rainbow pin mean? I don't know exactly what it was, but if I were to do it again, I would look here on CruiseMates and see if any of the cruises other people are going on appeal to you. Respond to some posts and see if you can develop some friendships even before you cruise. That can make it much more fun, in my opinion. It will take more work, and more patience, but could potentially lead to a much better cruise experience.
Old September 10th, 2005, 11:34 PM
bobby1119

Default Re: Re: Gay Group Cruises

I agree. PiedPiper left alot to be desired.
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Beginner

*Edited for commercial content - contact poster directly**

Sincerely,
Lynn
Boston, MA
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Beginner

There are a number of gay group cruises. Tons, actually. It is a different experience, but, can be very nice. I've met great people over the years hosting groups, and most all the experiences have been great.

There are big differences between all gay and gay groups, obviously. There is a comfort level on the gay cruises that you can't get on the groups, though, it is better, in my opinion, to travel with a group rather than on your own.

There is Pied Piper, who've been doing groups for years. I have people who go with them over and over and enjoy the groups. There are others, as well. Aquafest, Above & Beyond (for luxury, Crystal Cruise groups), Outcruising, and of course, Cruising with Pride (who I prefer, natch).

Remember this one thing, life is just what you make it. You can make it great, whatever and wherever you go.
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Beginner

My partner and I have been on two cruises with groups organized by Pied Piper and we're booked for a third. I really enjoy being on a "mixed" cruise. It's not a circuit party, it's just a regular cruise with a group of people you can socialize with. We go on their post-Thanksgiving cruise - that group tends to be 300-400 men. We've never had any incidents with other passengers, and the straight women on board seem to enjoy us since they have no problem finding someon to dance with them.

Pied Pipers sponsors a few private events for the group as well as some shore excursions. This is really nice as you're not going snorkeling with Ma & Pa from Kansas. The group sits together for dinner and ussually meets in the martini bar for pre-dinner drinks.

I'd recommend Pied Piper!
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Beginner

I too, enjoyed my experience with PP. I liked the option of being able to join, or not, in their activities. It was also specially liked dining as a group.
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Beginner

I have cruised with Aquafest 2 times this year and once in 2004 and it was a wonderful experience and would highly recommend them. From my research and in taking with other passengers who have tried other groups we found them to be the most professional and offer the most diverse group get-togethers that are actually private to the group and organized... and their rates are by far the most affordable...

I also have to comment that if those "awkward moments" and questions are too much for gay cruisers to bear and we don't sieze that unique moment to show people that we are just normal folk... then it is a sad sad statement on our community and our struggle to be accepted.

Just my 2 cents
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcruiser
I also have to comment that if those "awkward moments" and questions are too much for gay cruisers to bear and we don't sieze that unique moment to show people that we are just normal folk... then it is a sad sad statement on our community and our struggle to be accepted.

Just my 2 cents
Well, as the originator of the "awkward moments" quote, I'll take a stab at it.

Our main awkward moment on Pied Piper involved a group of South African cruisers who were staring at the group during dinner. Nothing wrong with that, but it set off one of the Pied Piper travellers enough to make a very rude apartheid remark directly to them. The hostilities never really cooled down throughout the trip. The rumors spread like wildfire, both true and untrue. The main hostility was by the Pied Piper travellers toward the one member of the group that tried to make us look like asses. My partner and I ended up leaving the group in order to try to make the best of our well-earned vacation time remaining. About half of the group ended up doing the same.

I guess some of us could have gone out of our way to make amends. The Pied Piper guide sure wasn't going to get involved. (He was too busy hitting on one of the couples in the group, but that's another set of stories.) But when it comes right down to it, we didn't take a cruise to make a political statement. We didn't take a cruise to gain the acceptance of other people. To be honest, I don't care whether strangers accept me or not. We took a cruise to have fun. For us, fun meant abandoning the Pied Piper group and the baggage that came with it and going in another direction.

If you do go on a gay group cruise, I would recommend one where the group has something in common other than being gay. Maybe a gay group from your geographical region. That bear cruise sounds like it would be a blast if that's your thing. I bet there are other examples as well.

Perhaps Pied Piper worked well decades ago, but today there is a lot of diversity in the gay community. For our cruise, just being gay didn't hold the group together. With a little research on the Internet, I'm sure you can find something better than Pied Piper.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Hi! Check out **edited for commercial content - contact poster directly **They have the best listing of gay cruises and gay group cruises around and offer rebates on almost all sailings. I use them all the time and love recommending them!
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Familiar Face

I have never been on a gay cruise, nor have I ever booked with a gay group, and never will.

A few years ago, my friends and I formed our own cruise travel group, and have since taken from 3-4 cruises per year, all on mainstream lines. Our group varies from 8 to 16. It is mostly gay, though some of our female friends and their husbands have joined us from time to time. Sometimes we decide to attend the FOD parties, but sometimes we don't. We usually have no problem meeting other gays aboard (both passengers and crew), and meet for drinks, etc. We like not being part of a formal touring group.

Most recently, we just got off the Caribbean Princess a few weeks ago, and lost count of how many other gay men were also on board (at least over 40). We met many in the disco, and at one point we all took over the dancefloor.

Back in May, our group was on the Norwegian Sun, and early on we met several gay crew that we met each night for cocktails in the bar, and eventually met quite a few other gay men in the bar as well, that we socialized with through much of the trip. (And are still in contact with).

I would highly recommend just starting a group among your own friends, rather than being "forced" into some sort of artificial solicization group. You will meet plenty of gay men on board just through normal channels.
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Dan Tobey
Default New group sailing be offered.

There is a new group saling be offer on the Norwegian Jewel 10/21/2006. The site is *** edited for commercial content - contact the poster *** and it sounds like a great trip and a really low price. My partner and I and several other friends are already booked.