Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Will I be the only gay guy on HAL?

Hey. I'm a single, 36 yo gay male and I'm going on my first cruise in Spring 06 to Alaska. I've gotten the impression from reading these boards that cruising in general attracts a lot of A-listers and exclusive circuit crowds (its the main reason I did not choose an all gay cruise).

HAL in particular attracts primarily straight couples over 50. I certainly don't mind those demographics, but it would be nice to have some "family" around. Can other nonscene gay men/women be found on the average cruise traveling alone? Do the singles events attract gays or is it mostly straights attending?

I'd like to hear how other gay people have "connected" particularly those that live a gay life outside of the mainstream ie. (somewhat closeted).
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

You'll have a great time ... sounds like you're very open. On meeting other gay folks, watch for an annoucement for a Friends of Dorothy meeting in the ship newletter for any gay get-together. Also, just keep your sonar out -- it's so easy to meet other gay folks by the pool or in the bars, etc. I have also found that a lot of the gay entertainment staff will also frequent the disco after their shows.

Don't worry ... you will be fine, and the ships have an incredible way of linking up single passengers to dine at the same table. ... Even though most were straight, I found some very nice folks to hang out with after dinner, etc. when I traveled alone.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:11 AM
noledrob

I was on HAL in Sept. of 2005 in AK - had a great time. I am 37 and was sailing alone. I think I was the only gay person on the entire ship and the only one under 50! The Vista class ship attracts a much younger crowd. Just go with and open mind and you will have a great time!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Beginner

Seattle, one thing you can do is to initiate roll calls on the various cruise boards (both in the gay sections and the general section). That way you can get to know some people before the cruise. I think that you will find that your fellow passengers represent a broad spectrum of interests, and that everyone is on the ship to have a good time. With that environment its hard not to enjoy.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Hey there!
I am also from Seattle. I've been on 11 cruises so far. Only one of them was even a remotely "gay cruise". It was a booking of a gay group on an otherwise regularly scheduled cruise. On every "mainstream" cruise I've gone on, I have always found other gay men and women. Singles, couples, you name it! Just don't be shy. If your gayday goes off and you catch someone's eye at least say "Hello" You're all in the same boat - pun intended!
When you board the ship, go on the spa tour. Chances are any men their that haven't been drug there with their wives will be gay.
Again, be friendly, say hello.
If you're really brave, ask the cruise director to put a Friends of Dorothy gathering in the daily newsletter and see who shows up.
If all else fails, workout in the gym, use the sauna and see who shows up
Happy Cruising!
Old November 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty sociable so I should be ok. And the spa was also my first thought on meeting any family, especially the steam room where they always seem to be at my healthclub-I wonder why? <g>

So do people ever meet and fall in love on these ships? I mean I know its not like it was on the Love Boat, but it's got to happen at least once in a while. How close was that show to reality?
Old November 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Beginner

Hi Seattle... I've never been on a gay cruise, but I've been on a number of 'mainstream' cruises (Celebrity and Carnival). I've always met good people (gay or otherwise) that were a lot of fun to hang out with. I'm 33 and I'm getting ready to head out on my second cruise by myself. Going with friends and going alone can be very different experiences... but certainly a lot of fun either way. (yeah... its the end of the year... too much vacation, blah blah blah... its an awesome way to just relax for a few days with no stress)

The last time I was out by myself, I actually met a number of the crew (while we were in port) and had a blast. A number of them were 'family'. While, I wouldn't say it was love forever, I made a few great friends -- who I still stay in touch with. Just keep your eyes and mind open -- and you'll have a great time I'm sure.
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Beginner

On our last cruise, we ran into a gay couple who met on a "regular "cruise several years ago (they were travelling separtately with friends and family). So, yes it can happen!

The only problem with the sauna and gym approach is the bisexual married guys -- they exchange glances with you in the sauna then you see them with the wife and kids an hour later eating ice cream ....... makes things entertaining, to say the least, and makes me very glad I no longer live in a small town!
Old November 26th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I might try the Friends of Dorothy ad in the newsletter if they'd do it for me. Do straight people know what that means? Might a bunch of them show up out of curiosity thinking its just another unique activity being offered?
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Familiar Face

We've been on 3 and are booked on our 4th HAL cruise and enjoyed them all. We used to do just RSVP cruises but find we like regular cruises as they tend to be much more relaxing. Just be yourself and you should be fine!
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM
Beginner

What is your cruise departure date? Maybe some other single gay men might decide to be the cruise too!

I for one love the romantic idea of meeting a lover on a ship... a true fantasy of mine... oh and btw I'm 39 and live in Portland, OR!...maybe I will see you there.
Old December 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Passenger

We're going on our first HAL cruise this Christmas. We've been on several other cruise lines, so I'm eager to find out how HAL will be different.

I have an advantage in that since my partner is with me, it's automatically a gay cruise for us. We've met several other gay men and lesbians while on cruises. There's only one cruise where we did not meet any--the Golden Princess to New England/Canada. The passenger demographics of that cruise was 90 percent over the age of 60. (I was 40 and my partner was 46.) I never expected to be in the youngest 10 percent. The pools and hot tubs were never crowded. And it was easy to get a seat at the second show.
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Beginner

GeuHerb,

Which HAL ship will you be on this Christmas? We are booked on the Zuiderdam.

Scott & Todd