Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default Island Princess 3/22/06 Hawaii

There are 4 of us looking forward to great weather and a relaxing cruise.
Any other sailors (guys and gals) sailing with us? We will try to arrange for FOD meetings. We did this exact cruise a year ago and enjoyed it so much that we decided to repeat. Give us a shout if your going, or thinking about going. We'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Jerry and Kirk, Ron, and Bob.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Jerry, there was a FOD meeting our second night on board for the 1/6 sailing, so you should have no problem.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Familiar Face

Harry...........I was pleased to hear that the staff are still gay friendly on the Island Princess by providing a place for a FOD meeting. WHERE did you meet? I ask that question because last year none of the 5 meetings were held in a private location and it was uncomfortable being so close to non gay passengers, some of which stared at us.

I just finished reading your well written article about the ships new cabin upgrades. Of particular interest to me was to know that hair conditioner was provided because I had a near disater on our last cruise (December) on a ship that didn't: Without it, I spent the first 4 days tearing out my long curly hair that tangles when wet. It wasn't until we reached Malaga that I had the opportunity to buy conditioner. Of course, I know that I could have purchaed conditoner aboard ship, but I wasn't about to pay the asking price. Did I spite myself???

Jerry
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Jerry, I never seem to have that problem, but Art is the same way. Good news -- there is conditioner (the Lotus Spa brand) in the mini-suites. I would assume it will also come in packey form for those in balcony and below.

Hmmm, now let me recall .... the FOD meeting was in the Wheelhouse Lounge, I am almost positive. We didn't go, but there were plenty of gay folks on board who did.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Familiar Face

Just a little more than a month to go before sailing.......YEAH!!!

We received our docs yesterday and we are pinching ourselves. Finally

it's become a reality, we ARE going. Now we will put on the speed and

buy some fashionable (?) cruisewear. No need to pack hair conditioner,

Harry, Princess provides it. Any other CruiseMates readers going with us?

J & K
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:04 AM
First Mate

We are little taken back at the thought that a FOD gathering should be considered held in a none public area of a ship. We have always held our Princess FOD gatherings in the Wheelhouse bar as do the veterans, the teachers, the nurses, etc. We can appreciate why Friends of Bill W. do not chose a bar for their locale.

Friends of Dorothy are a group of people with many similar life styles and interests not unlike any other. Why would we not want to hold our gatherings in public where we belong?

And while on this subject, we can't over emphasize the need to include Friends of Friends of Dorothy in our get togethers. Those who understand and appreciate our values and rights should most certainly be included.
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to he88062

Heads Up! My partner and I were on 1/06 cruise from LA and experienced a horrendous disembarcation! Our cabin was on same floor of the gangway to exit ship and we were first colors to be called to exit BUT the narrow hallway outside our cabin QUICKLY filled with passengers who should NOT have been there with their luggage! The hallway was one continous people jam and we stood there for 50 minuets without moving two steps! There were people in wheelchairs, LOTS of seniors and even several room stewards held at an absolute stand still. We could hear various colors being called to exit BUT simply could not move. Our hallway was a disaster waiting to happen and passengers levels of anxiety and panic were raising rapidly. It was a horrific claustrophobic experience I will never forget and came close to fainting for lack of adquate ventilation throughout the hallway. Finally, a desperate woman who was also suppossed to exit first for an early flight began screaming for people to move to the left to allow her to pass....suddenly All those passengers who were not called BUT in line crowding the hallway, moved over and we made our desperate escape. If you find yourself in similar situation be sure to ask people in line if their color has been called and if not, to move over to the left of the hallway to allow those who have been called room to exit. This was THE most terrifying experience I have ever had exiting a cruise ship and will NEVER again take this particular cruise again.....staff at the exit doors had ABSOLUTE NO CLUE of the hundredes of passengers stuck in that hallway for nearly one hour. Is Princess travelers Be Warned!
Henry (he88062@yahoo.com)
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Passenger

Default Passenger Blame

For the most part it was the fellow passengers who disregarded the announcements of the crew and who put us all in harms way. I was sooo angry and upset at all those idiots who had absolutely no reason to be lined up before being called. People will do stupid things like crowding into a narrow hallway with other just to try and by pass "authorities". HOWEVER, given this fact of human nature....the crew should know that some guests will do the very opposite in instruction and orders no matter the stupid and dangerous consequences which might occur to others and assign crew members specificly to patrol the exit lines, especially in narrow corridors leading out, for passengers who do not belong there....NO Crew person ever asked for color identification while we were in line and they should have. The problem is mainly a result of inconsiderate individual passengers but the crew should also be more helpful in seperating those who havent been called from those who have, especially around the narrow corridors leading to the exits.
Old February 26th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Wow Henry, I never knew there was so much of a mess getting off the ship. Because we were driving home, we were one of the later colors called and got off the ship with no fuss ... we just waited in the Wheelhouse.

Sorry to hear it was such a bad experience on the last morning.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Passenger

Default More Common Horrors

Thanks Harry for your reply, nice hearing from you. I also posted my experience on Cruise Lines under Princess AND on Practical Advice under "Grips". I am blown away at the replys and post from others regarding similar experiences and on other cruise lines....apparantly the crew do not claim fault for this common problem and blame it on passengers who do not follow instructions. I argue with this and am calling for stricter oversight from crew on disembarkation day to patrol the lines, ESPECIALLY the narrow cabin hallways leading out to the exits and check for only the color tags that have been called. Lets hope some crew administrators and cruise line executives read this and make the suggestion on future trips.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

Ron n Jon.........We appreciate your comments and agree with you COMPLETLY, but you weren't there to witness the disaster that happened at the first meeting...which caused 20 or so FODs never to return again.....looooooooooooong story.

Henry........Sorry about your more than troublesome disembarkation (been there done that). Thanks for speaking up for the rest of us! Too bad we never met on the 1/6/05 sailing, I'm sure we would have hit it off just fine...maybe another time??

J & K
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
First Mate

Whether the obnoxious drunk at the Fellowship convention or the racist at the Brotherhood meeting, there will always be one (or more) who can embarrass any group. Agreeably we do not know the circumstances that resulted in so many FOD's fleeing the gathering but surely the offender(s) could have been told that they were out of line. We have done so on one occasion. Each one of use is an ambassador of the gay community and there are times were the terms of persona non grata apply. But abandoning the group under the premise of guilt through association does not seem to us to be a very fulfilling aspect of life.