Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Passenger

Default Being Legally Married on a Ship

Hi Everyone,

We are a nice content gay couple from Massachusetts. We share the same first name (Paul) and the same age...and we got legally married in June 2004 three weeks after our state allowed same-sex marriage. If you get married here in Massachusetts, one person can take their spouse's last name...but in our case, that wouldn't work. Same first and last name...I don't think so!
So we are the Pauls.

When we cruise, our new tablemates love it that we make it easy for them to remember our name.

When we got married, we waited four months to take our honeymoon. In October 2004, we sailed on the Mercury and booked a Royal Suite. We spent 4 days in San Francisco prior to the cruise because my husband ( I love saying that!!!) had never been there and then we hopped on the Mercury for 11 days to Mexico.

We were amazed at how well we were treated on the Mercury. The social director insisted that we attend the Honeymooners and Anniversary Party, which we did. When we entered the party, we saw a few confused looks but Winnie, the social director, informed the attendees that we were from Massachusetts and that yes, we were legally married. The response was extremely positive...I guess it also helped that most of the cruisers came from the San Francisco area.

My husband wanted to enter the Newlywed Game while onboard...but I drew the line there. Not that I was ashamed of being gay...I know, we would have either won or had the most outrageous wrong answers.

Our wish is that all our brothers and sisters in the other 49 states will have that opportunity one day. My husband and I have been together for 12 years and getting married was the most important day of our lives!

Now if I can only get him to clean out the garage!!!

Paul and Paul
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe and Ivan

That's a wonderful story, Paul and Paul. Now, if we could just manage to do something for the folks in Texas and the other states that want to keep us all in our place!

Ivan
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GayCruisers/
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Hey Paul and Paul,

We have a story to share as well. We booked a cruise a year in advance going out of Barcelona with the idea of getting married in Spain before the cruise. We are from rural Texas and recently had a vote on same sex marriage in which we were bombarded with Adam and eve, etc. as you can image. To make matter worse right after the vote, Spain annouced they would not let out of country same sex couples wed. Being disappointed we flew to Canada shortly after the news and got married in Vancouver. Yeah, what a wonder day. And believe it or not some of our neigbors were very supportive. We had a going away party, and when were got home our house was full of gifts and decorated. So not everyone is evil in Texas.

Anyway, as our cruise from Barcelona will still be our honeymoon coming up Oct 21, we purchased a honeymoon package with Norweign Jewel which contains an invitation to a honeymooner's party. We were debating if we should attend. After reading your posting, I am thinking we will. Does anyone have a vote for us, let us know if think we should go.

John (53) and Stephen (57) for Cat Spring Texas

PS Joe and Ivan did you ever think about going to Canada to get married, we found it easy and will give the name marriage commisioner if interested. Let us know if you want more info. jcc627@yahoo.com
Old September 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe and Ivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc627
:
PS Joe and Ivan did you ever think about going to Canada to get married, we found it easy and will give the name marriage commisioner if interested. Let us know if you want more info. jcc627@yahoo.com
Hi John & Stephen,

Yours is a very nice story also. I actually think we're all genuinely married if our hearts and commitments are there, but it's also nice to get the public recognition and legal equality for our relationships. We are planning to eventually go to Canada ourselves for the "ceremony" and we've e-mailed you separately to get some pointers.

Thanks, Ivan
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GayCruisers/
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Passenger

Default Go for it!

John and Stephen,

I say..go for it! When we went to Honeymooners party, I was reluctant to go and I am the outgoing one...it was my husband...the quiet shy one that insisted we go. His logic is that not only does it get straight couples used to the idea but damn it, we are married and we are legal and we should be able to enjoy the same benefits as all the married couples on the ship.

The worse that can happen to you is to be denied entrance. But I don't think that will happen. Let me know how you make out?