Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Default first cruise

we are looking at taking our first cruise.
We are debating between a regular cruise or else a gay cruise.
What do people suggest we do?

we are looking now at the 07 Athens-Venice cruise by Atlantis.
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to alviriv
Default Matter of opinions

You proably will get a different answer from everyone that replies, but it all comes down to your own level of comfort on either cruise. Me and my partner of 17 years have always done the straight/regular cruises. Never had an issue with crew or passengers, and unlike some posters that had issues on some ports, we have not experineced this. Me and my partner are very conservative. I am also very shy, so I rather not do an all gay cruise. To me they sound like meet markets more than anything.

Before anyone starts flaming - That is just my opinion.
07/01/2006 Carnival Triumph
10/08/2006 RCI Freedom of the Seas

Old September 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Beginner

that use to be my perception. I was very shy before but I must say I have come out of my shell alot as I have gotten older. I am 37 and my partner is 47. I am sure the straight cruise would be fine and would not bother us at all but as I was thinking that the gay cruise might be something very different and worth the bit more you pay.

Its great to get everyone's views pros or con
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Familiar Face

Being your first cruise, do what pleases you. Cruising is for the most part very freindly.
Go where you guys want to go. Don't let your orientation dictate how you travel. Yes, all Gay cruises are fun, but don't think you can't have a wonderful travel experience on an otherwise "straight" sailing. You'll be surprised, there are many more "Friends of Dorothy" on board any ship then you would imagine. Again, go where you want to go!
Old September 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Beginner

thanks jaguar...
we ussually just do our own thing and if it takes us to places with lots of gays and lesbians its a bonus...
I guess I have just been concerned that cruises might a bit different.
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Familiar Face

We have sailed now on a variety of cruises. mostly main stream but have been on RSVP and Atlantis as well. Our "Gay" Cruises have been great fun. We too were skeptical at first but both companies do an excellent job of providing their clients with a truly memorable experience. Our gay cruises have been on "top of the line" ships. i.e Celebrity's Constellation and Holland America's Zuiderdam. In both cases the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. so in that regard, your time on board will like any other quality cruise except you'll be surrounded by alot of like-minded folk. If I'm not mistaken, the Atlantis cruise is on one of Oceania's (sp?) ships. We have yet to sail this line but understand that they are one of the more elegant and sophisticated cruise operations, plus, how can you go wrong with Greece and Italy!?
Old October 1st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

THIS POST IS BASED ON INFORMATION I RECEIVED FROM OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN ALL GAY CRUISES AND IS NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION. AS A LONG TIME MEMBER OF CRUISEMATES THERE WAS NO REASON TO NOT SHARE IT WITH THE OTHER MEMBERS.

I can't speak for all gay cruises having never been on one myself. But I debated the same topic last year and was told that if your comfortable in that A-list judgemental I'm better than you "aren't I beautiful?" bar scene, then you'll fit right in on a gay cruise with Rosie's family cruises seeming to be the one notable exception judging from all the media attention.

What amazed me most about my first cruise this past May was that it was a true cross section of society. I met people from all over the world, all different ages from all walks of life. For that one week nobody cared about anything, we just wanted to have a good time....and did.

~Buzz
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Familiar Face

Seattleguy: Meaning no disrespect, but until you have actually experienced a gay cruise you may want to hold opinion. You get all walks of people on gay cruises. Whoever told you that unless you're on the "A-List" and apparently better than everyone else, either hasn't been on a gay cruise either or is coming from some disgruntled personal agenda. We have never encountered "attitude" on our cruises. Everyone is there to be a part of one big happy family. There are young, old and everything in the middle. There are the uber buffed and the flabby and everything in the middle. Make up your own mind, I think you'll have a good time.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Beginner

Default wow

So many differences of opinions here....

I would think I would agree that there would be a huge mix of people on the gay cruises, especially for those in Europe as opposed to the caribean for example.

so I am not too concerned about it being a ship full of muscle god A types.

I guess I am wondering as well if the extra cost for these cruises worth it?

I can see the advantages of a gay cruise.
Ie: freedom to be who you like, potential of meeting gay people from around the world, good entertainment
but I also see advantages of doing a mainstream cruise as well.

Maybe what we should do is look at both options, the ports of call and see which match up.

The Atlantis one I was looking at only has a day in Istanbul and personally I would rather spend more time in Istanbul.

I did find one through Pied Piper that spends longer in Istanbul.
I have never heard of Pied Piper until now...

Which mainstream cruise lines are Gay Friendly?????

i know I am hitting everyone with alot of questions here...I do appreciate it.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

<mischievous scallywag kinda grin>
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Familiar Face

Yes there are all types on an all gay cruise. "regular" cruises are wonderful also, we have never had any problems being a same sex couple.

On the down side compare the price. Cabin for cabin the all gay will cost you at lease $500 more per person. This is an issue for me, as i consider it somewhat exploitive. Jimbo