Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:42 PM
First Mate

Default Dominica restricts gay cruises

Guess they don't like the color of our money.... oh well.. there are plenty of other great places in the Caribbean that do accept GLBT people.........

ROSEAU, Dominica - Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said Thursday he will meet with evangelicals in Dominica seeking restrictions on gay cruises, which have drawn some protests elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Dominica has no restrictions on the tours, but Skerrit told The Associated Press that he will meet soon with the Evangelical Association to outline the government's position on gay cruises stopping in the island.

"I will make a statement on the issue after my meeting with the members of the Evangelical Association," he said.

Bill Daniel, the group's president, said Skerrit had not contacted him to schedule a meeting — which the association had demanded.

"We want the government to ensure that gay tourists do not come to the island and conduct themselves in any immoral way," he said, adding that he did not want Dominica portrayed "as a gay tourist destination."

Dominica, a lush island of mountains and waterfalls that bills itself as the "Nature island of the Caribbean" and is where parts of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies were filmed, relies heavily on tourism revenue, as do many other countries in the region.

One of the poorest countries in the Caribbean, Dominica attracted 250,230 tourists over the first six months of the year — an increase of roughly 50,000 from the same period last year, according to the Trade Ministry.

Tourism officials have sought an increase in cruise calls to boost tourism to Dominica and they have tried to distance themselves from the evangelicals position.

"We don't have any problem with gay cruises coming to Dominica," said Francisco Esprit, a board member of the Dominica Taxi Association. "We see it as part of the business and we are yet to receive any negative comments from our members about gay tourism."

At least one gay cruise has stopped in Dominica.

No stops by gay cruises are scheduled to stop in the island through early next year, said Peter George, head of Shipping at H.H.V. Whitchurch and Co., the agent for cruise ships stopping in Dominica.

Despite their image as a sun-and-surf playground, many Caribbean islands remain socially conservative.

Protesters held a small demonstration against a gay cruise stopping in February in the Cayman Islands, which refused in 1998 to allow a gay cruise to dock. The British territory adopted a nondiscrimination policy in 2001 that bars it from blocking gay cruises.

A cruise ship carrying lesbians that docked in the Bahamas was met by protesters in 1998.

Associated Press, 10 Nov 2006
RCCL Voyager 10/04
RCCL Enchantment 10/03
RCCL Adventure 2/03
Carnival Imagination 10/97
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Admiral

That is a real shame. Dominica is a beautiful island worth seeing. My partner and I were considering purchasing a second home there. Hmmmmm! I guess we have some thinking to do. Thanks for the information.
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Familiar Face

I think that my partner and I will avoid the DR and perhaps any cruise line that sails there. I've been kicked outa nicer places than the DR! Jim
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Dominica (Domineeka) is not the Dominican Republic. Be cautious brfore you boycott. Many people confuse these two islands.
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Familiar Face

Chuck, Thank you for the correction. Thank goodness now I don't have to boycott the Mets and Red Sox. I have never noticed any cruises to Dominica. We have been to the DR and it seemed OK, except for the striking differences between the haves and the have nots. Jimbo
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Passenger

Any update on this story? I am booked on the NCL Pearl with a stop in Dominica. What a bummer because I will not spend money in a country with these additudes.

19 cruises total on all different lines including RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America and Sea Dream. Our 20th Cruise is October 2007 on the Mariner of the Seas.