Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Beginner

Default Help advice needed for 4 single gay guys

Hi we're 4 single gay guys from New Zealand in our early 40's planning a cruise in November 07. Have narrowed it down to 2 options:

1/ Norweign Spirit 15 days, 3 Nov, NY to New Orleans via Carribean
2/ Emerald Princess 10days, 6 Nov, Fort Laud to Carribean return

What will be the decider for us is the demograhics on the cruise. Ideally we'd like to meet some fellow passengers around our own age and at least a few fellow gay guys.

Any advice on which would be best for us? Our preference is the longer cruise as we get to see more but if it's at the expense of being the odd ones out then maybe we might need to do the shorter one.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I think the demographics will be somewhat similar. I personally would take any Princess cruise over any NCL cruise. My reasoning would not be based on demography, but rather accommodations, service, food quality etc.

Our last NCL cruise in Hawaii was a complete disaster. Our cabin was filthy and our cabin steward left the ship half way through the cruise. It was a long and terrible story. Check my posts shortly after the first week of April for details.

Our first NCL cruise in the baltics was less than wonderful eventhough the itinerary was fabulous. Every time we have cruised Princess, things have always gone quite well.

You should take a careful look at the itinerary as well. But I still think your experience on the Emerald Princess will be far more to your liking in most every way.
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to CM Rob

4 single gay guys…. That just sounds like a making of a movie lol. I think Chuck is right, based on experience I think you guys would enjoy Emerald Princess. They will have a FOD meeting so you shouldn’t have any problem meeting up with fellow gay cruisers. Ft. Lauderdale has some great gay clubs and some nice places to eat. Whatever your choice is happy sailing and be safe.

Sea of Cortez - American Safari
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Familiar Face

My take on this would be to go on the SPIRIT. NCL also has FOD get togethers and I think they are a little more gay friendly.

It also depends upon the type of accomodations you will be in. If you are in a suite on NCL you will get butler service but not on Princess.

Even though NCL's cruise is longer, I would imagine the prices are about the same so I would opt for the longer one....more bang for your buck.

I have always enjoyed my cruises on NCL and even NCLA. We did a Princess cruise on the STAR, 10 night Baltic, in a suite, and were not that impressed.
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to curious1
Default 4 gay Kiwis walked into a bar...

Hey, guys, you've probably already booked, but here's my two cents' worth, just in case. My company books small gay groups on "mainstream" cruise lines, and the two lines we use more than any other are Princess and NCL. Obviously they're both extremely gay-friendly, or we wouldn't use them. Princess is certainly more upscale, and thus attracts a slightly older demographic. BUT longer itineraries tend to skew older, as well, so there probably won't be too much age difference between these two sailings. Which is likely to have more gay guys onboard? That's a total flip of the coin, though NCL's well publicized FOD meetings might make it easier to spot the like-minded guys. And it's completely unfair to compare an NCL cruise in Hawaii with one in the Caribbean. The Hawaiian fleet is a totally different division of the company, and it's greatly hampered by American labor laws. (Sorry, but spoiled American kids just DON'T make good cabin stewards, waiters, etc.)

Still, here's my bottom line: I'd do the Princess cruise. You'll find that 10 days in the islands is enough, and then you'll have time to spend a few nights in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, where you're BOUND to have a gay old time. It's just too bad you can't sail with us on Oct. 28 ... I LOVE Kiwis
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Beginner

Hey thanks so much for your advice guys, it was a really hard decision but in the end we've gone for the 15night NCL, only really because we'd get to see more places this way and sailing out of NYC sounds like a great experience. We did NCL Star last year around Mexico, probably not my first choice of ship as it was very family oriented but have already checked out that the Spirit doesn't have hydroslides around the main pool. A definate +. Thanks once again.