Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Passenger

Default FOD Friends of Dorothy Meetings

We were excited to see FOD meetings on the first and second night of the cruise. Sadly we were the only ones that attended. Finally clued in that they set these up automatically (On the Destiny anyway) an noone asked for them to be set up. Glad they do this. Guess we were the only ones on the boat lol.
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:53 PM
First Mate

No, sweethearts, you were not the only ones on the "boat". We have found that there is always those who wouldn't be caught dead at an FOD but when they disembark complain that they had such a boring time...

Thank you for showing up, we always do. As to those others, well forbid that you might be branded by your attendance, but more than likely more people knew you should have been there than you might realize....
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
No, sweethearts, you were not the only ones on the "boat". We have found that there is always those who wouldn't be caught dead at an FOD but when they disembark complain that they had such a boring time...

Thank you for showing up, we always do. As to those others, well forbid that you might be branded by your attendance, but more than likely more people knew you should have been there than you might realize....
lol
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Captain

We disembarked the Pacific Princess on a 2-week Amazon / Caribbean cruise. There was only one (1) FOD meeting; however, Friends of Bill W and "Doctor Bob" (?) were posted every night.

We too ran into other gay and lesbian passengers, though not many.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Familiar Face

Where did they have your FOD/GLBT gatherings?

On our Carnival Cruises they always have them in a bar, so you never really stand out at all... just group of guys drinking! Carnival is soooo supportive of GLBT passengers, I think it is lovely that they give us another opportunity/reason to spend money on drinks!

I think they are smart to do it this way... it is a win-win for them, and they schedule them every day!

I think it is silly for them to sometimes put our meetings in some room... as if we are there to discuss horticulture.

Bon Voyage!!

Old May 21st, 2010, 04:08 PM
Beginner

My husband and I have attended one previous cruise that did have 'FOD' meetings listed. However, although we were interested in attending gay-specific events, we had never hear of this 'FOD' or 'Friends of Dorothy' so we did not go. If the cruise ships would just list the events as 'gay' events, there would be a lot more attendees. I don't think many gay people have heard of these terms 'FOD' or 'Friends of Dorothy'. It seems a bizarre term that could make sense for gay women or heterosexual men (i.e. people attracted to people named Dorothy) but certainly not for gay men.
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Familiar Face

Default Proud Friends of Dorothy

I am 53 and have been around the cruising block for awhile (double entendre intended). There are still some people who like to live discreet lives, due to business and family issues. It is their choice and they should not be criticized for it.

We have only been on mainstream cruises, and were so thrilled to discover a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting onboard these cruises. We have met some of the most lovely people from all over at these meetings. "Discretion is the better part of valor". It is nice to get together with other people with the same interests and lifestyles. Just like it would be good to get together as doctors, or lawyers, or collegiate associations. You share things in common. It's nice to know other people on the cruise you can have pleasant conversation without the raised eyebrows due to who your partner is. Inclusion and camaraderie help life be less stressful and secluded.

When I was younger, we used "Friends of Dorothy" when checking people out in mainstream life. You could easily say, "I think he is a friend of Dorothy" to your friend out loud and only they would know what you were saying. Having codes is not a problem, Southern Belles certainly have a very developed one (read The Southern Belle Primer by Marilyn Swartz.) Having codes is a way of being polite in public without letting "all your business" be known.

No matter what the name is, I still believe that these meetings help you meet others who are liked minded and may lead to lifelong friendships. If you don't want to be social and go to the meetings, don't go! No one will be upset.

Marc
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default Proud Friends of Dorothy

I am 53 and have been around the cruising block for awhile (double entendre intended). There are still some people who like to live discreet lives, due to business and family issues. It is their choice and they should not be criticized for it.

We have only been on mainstream cruises, and were so thrilled to discover a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting onboard these cruises. We have met some of the most lovely people from all over at these meetings. "Discretion is the better part of valor". It is nice to get together with other people with the same interests and lifestyles. Just like it would be good to get together as doctors, or lawyers, or collegiate associations. You share things in common. It's nice to know other people on the cruise you can have pleasant conversation without the raised eyebrows due to who your partner is. Inclusion and camaraderie help life be less stressful and secluded.

When I was younger, we used "Friends of Dorothy" when checking people out in mainstream life. You could easily say, "I think he is a friend of Dorothy" to your friend out loud and only they would know what you were saying. Having codes is not a problem, Southern Belles certainly have a very developed one (read The Southern Belle Primer by Marilyn Swartz.) Having codes is a way of being polite in public without letting "all your business" be known.

No matter what the name is, I still believe that these meetings help you meet others who are liked minded and may lead to lifelong friendships. If you don't want to be social and go to the meetings, don't go! No one will be upset.

Marc
Old June 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Familiar Face

For historical purposes, Friend of Dorothy refers to Judy Garland and the Wizard of Oz! Not only was Judy Garland a gay icon, but the movie is magical and has references to another world, one in which we different boys and girls might fit nicely into. It speaks to a part of our history and our coming around and out.

Gay history is extremely interesting. Diana Gabaldon has written some nice fiction about Lord John, a gay character in the 1740-1770s, with all the accompaning lingo of their day. "Miss Thing" has been around a very long time!
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspurlock View Post
For historical purposes, Friend of Dorothy refers to Judy Garland and the Wizard of Oz! Not only was Judy Garland a gay icon, but the movie is magical and has references to another world, one in which we different boys and girls might fit nicely into. It speaks to a part of our history and our coming around and out.

Gay history is extremely interesting. Diana Gabaldon has written some nice fiction about Lord John, a gay character in the 1740-1770s, with all the accompaning lingo of their day. "Miss Thing" has been around a very long time!
Does FOD really refer to Judy Garland, or does it refer to Dorothy Parker?

On our last cruise (Carnival Conquest) I was very surprised to see FOD or GLBT get together's scheduled at 11:30 PM :o. As a friend of FOD's, I thought this might not be the best time for a GLBT get together?

JMHO,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Familiar Face

I believe different groups have their favorite. My crowd has always thought of Judy Garland. But the Dorothy Parker group was always another consideration. I believe it is somewhat generational. Also, it is somewhat class influenced. The meaning is the same whichever Dorothy you claim.
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Familiar Face

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam (Holland America). They called the meetings GLBT and they were well attended. It went well!