Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile nice gay guy seeks friend!

would like to get to know someone who i could travel with. Whats your opinion on gay verses straight cruises? tell me where youve been and about your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Familiar Face

Hi there. Well, you have not given a lot of information about yourself but I too am a nice guy (60) and retired and I love to Cruise and I am a Diamond Member of Royal Carribbean. I mostly cruise alone and apart from the supplement cost (100%) on most cruises, it would also be nice to share with someone for at least a little social companionship. I have never been on an "all Gay Cruise"...I have never wanted to live in a 24 hour a day gay environment. I enjoy "mixed" cruises for the diversity and have never failed to meet other Gay men and women on almost all the cruises I have taken. If you are a party animal and enjoy late nights, dancing and cruising (the other kind) then the Gay Cruise is probably very enjoyable. As for me, I am now at a stage in my life when I enjoy a little peace and quiet (not all the time) and I am not the "party animal" I may once have been.
I am however seeking to meet another gay (straight is ok too) male for sharing the cost of cruises and as much or as little social interaction as we mutually prefer. Please feel free to contact me if you wish and we can chat further. I live in Toronto Canada.....my e-mail is mikescruising@yahoo.com
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Beginner

Default Gay vs straight cruises

I have been on a couple of gay cruises, but it is really not worth the almost double expense of a straight cruise. The entertainment is not that good, (actually pretty bad compared to the straight cruises) and the exact same cruise on the same ship the week before and week after was less than half per person. The disco goes all night, but my friends and I all agreed, after last year, we will never take an all gay cruise unless the prices become more competative with regular cruises.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Familiar Face

My partner and I have been on about 7 cruises now. We have gone on Celebrity (4), Royal Caribbean (1), Carnival (1) and NCL (1). All have been "straight" cruises and we have never encountered any problems. If you look in the daily program for FOD (Friends Of Dorthy) meetings you will meet other gay travelers on your cruise. Try to attend the first meetig they have, if only a couple of people show up they sometimes do not have anymore for the remainder of the cruise. If you don't see a FOD meeting listed you can always ask the cruise director about it and they will usually orgainize one to see what the interest level is. We have met some very nice couples and singles this way whe traveling. The FOD meetings are usually in one of the bars and is buy your own drink. Some of the cruise lines will have canapes for the first meeting.

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Familiar Face

Make sure you look for the FOD meetings and not the FOB meetings. FOB (Friends Of Bill) is AA/NA meetings.

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Familiar Face

Smile Welcome Aboard!

Let me say that I have never been on an all gay cruise, but I am sure they are wonderful. Perhaps not for everyone... but wonderful. Were it not for the cost differences, I would try one, but I have been perfectly happy on the mainstream cruises.

For the past two years, we have organized gay group cruises on a mainstream cruise. This year we are on the Carnival Spirit and up to 38 men... so far!

We seem to pick up guys every year from Cruisemates and are pleased to welcome more. But I have noticed my local GLBT center bulletin boards will have a notice for some local gay group... just like us. Gay bowling leagues, etc., have cruised. So like I say, you are welcome to join us, but I suspect if you are active in you community, you can find other small gay groups.

Gay groups on a mainstream cruise are at least half the cost of an all gay cruise. We don't have all the gay specific entertainment, but we have a good time being together, enjoy what Carnival provides, and we generally organize some kind of shore excursion in our ports where we find a gay or gay friendly tour operator to support with our dollars.

Welcome to cruising... whether you cruise solo, with a few friends, with a gay group, or an exclusively gay cruise, you will have a good time. Keep asking questions and making friends. By the way... about 1/3 of our guys this year are repeat cruisers from last year, 1/3 are their friends, and another 1/3 are total strangers. We have matched many up with room-mates, and so far everyone has had a good time and made new friends.

Bon Voyage!
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser04 View Post
would like to get to know someone who i could travel with. Whats your opinion on gay verses straight cruises? tell me where youve been and about your experiences?
i be ur friend
Old November 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser04 View Post
I believe it's a matter of preference. Personally, I prefer straight cruises over totally gay ones. My reasoning is that it makes the total experience more realistic and not the typical gay "looking for a hookup" thing. I've been to both but prefer being in a straight cruise which in reality is a mixed crowd. You can actually tell whose who and what's what. I've cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, etc. I've been all over the caribbean, canada, mediterranean, mexico, and asia. If this is your first cruise, do something worth catching your eye such as a Western Caribbean. Well worth it!! I just got back from one this week via Carnival Freedom. The itinerary was, Key West, Ochos Rios-Jamaica, and Cayman Islands!!