Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Gay / Lesbian Cruising
Register Forgot Password?

Gay / Lesbian Cruising Gay and Lesbian Cruiser's Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo_Bost
Default FOD on CUNARD?

My partner and I are considering a transatlantic on the QM2 this Oct. When I look at thier marketing adverts I see lots of middle aged hetero couples in Tuxes and gowns having a "swell" time. So, we are woundering if QM2 is too "fancy" for us. Sure, we have tuxes and know what fork to use, but will we stand out too much as a male couple? Do they have FOD gatherings? Please post your experience with Cunard. Jimbo
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo_Bost

So, I guess that none of the people who read my post have been on a Cunard ship or even have any helpful thoughts about Cunard. Thanks guys. This board is useless. Jim
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:05 PM
First Mate

To be quite frank, we too had intended to cross with the QM2. If you go to

Cunard Line - Cruise Critic Message Boards

and post your question I think you will get the answer you are seeking. I'm afraid that the major contributors to the site do more corporate damage than good in their foppishness way for they seem to have assumed the position of writing standards for passengers that one would not attribute to Cunard. In our case we have had second thoughts about the booking.
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Cunard has been a wonderful expierence and I have found some incredible fun and large FOD meetings. Last cruise on the Victoria was attended by no less than 35 men and women.
Cunard has excellent service and yes, they like to see men in Jackets and tux's on formal night, but plenty don't. It's elegant, not stuffy.
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Admiral

I think you will find that dress codes on Cunard are strictly adhered to, even casual nights REQUIRE a jacket for men, the other two codes REQUIRE a tie as well, I think but am not 100% this applies to the whole ship except possibly the buffet.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Skype™ to ManhattanBeachMike

Not only do they have dorothy meetings, but they have a crew bar that is primamarily gay as well which you can sqeak into if you take off your tux. It is no more or less gay then any crew, especially with a predominant gay crew. Have fun!!
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_Bost View Post
My partner and I are considering a transatlantic on the QM2 this Oct. When I look at thier marketing adverts I see lots of middle aged hetero couples in Tuxes and gowns having a "swell" time. So, we are woundering if QM2 is too "fancy" for us. Sure, we have tuxes and know what fork to use, but will we stand out too much as a male couple? Do they have FOD gatherings? Please post your experience with Cunard. Jimbo
We did the QM2 from Southamptom to NY in April. We are not yound kids anymore but the QM2 was a like a floating nursing home. in a week ther are five formal days and two casual days. But casual still meens coats for dinner. Over all we did not like the QM2 nothing speific just a feeling that we were out of place.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_Bost View Post

We did the QM2 in April from Southampton to NY, They are very formal when it comes to dinner. We had 5 formal days and 2 casual, but casual still means coat just no tie. Also the ship seemed more on par with a floating nursing home. Never seemed to have a problem with gay, becasue they did not seem to give a darn about anything. We have cruised over 30 times but will not do the QM2 again.