Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2000, 12:27 PM
hdawson

Default What's your favorite remedy?

Have heard and read of so many remedies and preventives. What's everyone's favorite? Have on occaision had a relatively minor problem especially crossing the Gulf Stream.
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2000, 08:29 AM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Default RE: What's your favorite remedy?

An interesting question, hdawson! Thanks!

Well, my personal favorite is one-half the recommended dose (25 to 50 mg of meclizine) of Bonine/Dramamine II/Marezine/Antivert tablets, an hour before boarding the ship, then once a day before I go to bed. However, this may not be the best for everyone.

I usually first recommend the non-pharmacalogic or non-homeopathic interventions of getting to an open deck, gulping fresh air, and fixing your focus on the horizon. Additionally, alcoholic beverages should especially be avoided, because they can disturb the equilibrium and cause nausea. If that doesn't work, I generally would recommend the over-the-counter pharmacalogic treatments (Dramamine or Bonine) next, because of their proven reliability. However, both of these drugs can cause drowsiness, and alcohol consumption does not go well with these. The homeopathic treatment using ginger, or the accupressure method (SeaBands) are usually next on my list. Scopolamine patches are my last preventative recommendations. Once the nausea and vomitting have started though, you're probably going to have to either ride it out, or seek out medical intervention.

My best recommendation? Find what works for you, and use it!

Hope this answers your question, hdawson!

Happy cruising!

John Burns, R.Ph.
Old August 23rd, 2000, 12:28 PM
hdawson

Default RE: What's your favorite remedy?

Thanks John. I will probably use the bonine just to be safe. Don't want anything to spoil my Century cruise. Have heard that bonine causes less drozyness than dramamine. True? Maybe try the ginger too as insurance.