Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2000, 09:37 PM
First Mate

Default "No Jet Lag"

I was wondering if anybody knew anything about this Homeopathic suggestion for overseas flights? We are flying to Istanbul Wednesday for cruise on Grand -from Colorado via Chicago & Frankfort [ It will FEEL like we're in the air for about a week, I fear!] Our TA suggested it. It has NO melatonin -it is something entirely different, supposedly to help your body adjust [not make you sleep] ??????? Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2000, 08:28 AM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Default RE: "No Jet Lag"

I do not know of any other homeopathic aids other than melatonin for helping with jet lag.

A little definition here...jet lag is the state of exhaustion experienced by the body when it begins to experience a new daily cycle because of changes in time zone. This primarily effects people who are traveling east-bound over three or more time zones.

Melatonin is a naturally-occuring chemical found in our bodies, that helps regulate sleep patterns. Thus, use of a melatonin supplement may help alleviate jet lag, by allowing you to rest (as well as you can rest on long flights) during yur trip east (in Anne's case, to Istanbul). I generally recommend taking a "long-acting" 3 mg melatonin tablet (or capsule) about 2-3 hours before you wish to fall asleep. This can also be used once you arrive in your destination, for a couple of days, until your body adjusts to the new sleep schedule. One of the advantages of melatonin (versus prescription or OTC sleep aids) is you generally won't wake up feeling groggy or hung-over.

Being a naturally-occuring compound in the body, melatonin is extremely safe, when used as directed. However, logic such as "Well, if one is good, two is better..." (or "...will work twice as fast...") will get you in trouble here, also. You don't need mega-doses of this stuff!

I recommend carefully reading the label of any homeopathic compound purporting to help provide sleep. If you see things like diphenhydramine or doxylamine in the ingredients list, you know that you aren't getting a homeopathic agent.

One widely used alternative to melatonin is to get a prescription from your doctor for alprozolam (*****) or diazepam (Valium). This would be used similar to the melatonin, about 2 hours before you want to sleep on the flight.

Hope that this helps answers your question, Anne. I hope you have a great cruise!!

Enviously! <GRIN!>

John Burns, R.Ph.
Old September 19th, 2000, 12:53 PM
First Mate

John - Thanks for your help; I got your E-mail!!!!! I will report back after the first week in October. From your discription - I don't HAVE jet-lag problems; I generally get over tired from no sleep on the long flights plus the leg aches etc -but then I go to sleep and wake up refreshed [ we did England -Dover/Royal Princess a couple of years ago -woke up in Falmouth refreshed the following day!] We shall see on this flight, she replied ominously! Thanks! Anne
Old October 9th, 2000, 06:14 PM
First Mate

Just got back from our cruise on the Grand. I took "No Jet Lag" they are little sugar-like pills about the size of Asprin, you pop them about every two hours. It was a 20+ hour travel day, thrusting forward 9 hours in time to Turkey [Istanbul] from Denver time. Denver, Chicago, Frankfurt, Istanbul. I don't sleep on airplanes, and I didn't on this - after all, coach class is hardly condusive to that - BUT I arrived in Istanbul minus the normal, for me, slightly sick feeling with nagging headache; I felt "fine". That was the good news but here is a warning. It suggests you drink no alcohol with this. After checking into the Grand Princess and getting unpacked, we met for a drink -I had a single glass of wine -and got the most awful headache!!!!!!! So I warn you -take heed. The return trip, I took them again; Chicago was the hang up -we spent 5 hours in Chicago, and hauling carry on that was heavy etc, from concourse B to C & back again [ plane had been struck by lightning so they switched planes -then had another over an hour wait] And I crawled into a three-seat with the arm rests up & slept for over an hour! It took about three days for my body to get back to normal time; but we arrived in Longmont at 4 am -I slept until 7am, I got up and FUNCTIONED happily for about 6 hours until 2 in the afternoon, when I crashed and slept for 16 hours! But NO HEADACHE [ and no alcohol consumption] I don't know what it does, and I don't know if it DID it; I just know I felt OK. And I'm 60 years old!
Old October 12th, 2000, 01:30 PM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Hey, Anne! Welcome Back!

I'm happy that the No Jet Lag product helped you. I reviewed the on-line product literature, and see that it is a real "weeds-and-seed" (my private little affectation for homeopathic formulations) product. I recognize a couple of the components (chamomille, Wolf's Bane, ipecac extract) and can partially understand its effect (chamomille tea is a great herbal tea for before bedtime). But I can't say how clinically effective this product really is, and can only accept anecdotal recommendations such as your's Anne.

What I did find on that product's website is a great, comprehensive list of things a person can do to help ameliorate symptoms of jet lag without drug or homeopathic intervention. Check out the website at www.nojetlag.com.

John Burns, R.Ph.