Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Heidi Young

Default preparatory shots

How might I find a physician in say, southern California, that specializes in overseas travel innoculations, etc.
I understand I should get malaria pills, certain shots, etc. but do not know what specialty this kind of medicine falls under.
So, what exactly should I get before going to Malaysia, Vietnam, India and the Middle East.

Thanks!
Heidi
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2000, 07:42 AM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Default RE: preparatory shots

Thank for the question, Heidi! It is a good question, but the answer I give will be more generic, because it is a more universal question.

Before travel to a foreign country, it is very wise to check what vaccinations or health precautions might be required for that region. Good places to check would be the US State Department, US Center for Disease Control (CDC), and (UN) World Health Organization websites for advisories. (If anyone is interested, please e-mail me, and I'll get those web addresses for you...I don't have ready access to these while I am typing this reply). Additionally, a good travel agent who deals with this kind of travel will gladly provide you with this information, and provide you with updates as they occur (a very important reason to find a travel agent you like and trust).

As for finding a physician or clinic to administer these vaccinations and such, my first suggestion is to take this list of requirements to your family (or for those of you in HMO's, primary care) physician, and ask them if they can do it, or if they can refer you to a physician or clinic that can. If that doesn't work, check through your local health department or larger hospital. Most times, if one of those practioners or clinics can't help you immediately, they will be willing to order what you need, and schedule you to admister these in an appropriate amount of time before you travel. If all else fails, see what you can find out through your local pharmacist. (Sorry, I couldn't resist such a shameless plug!...<GRIN!>)

I hope this helps you, Heidi, and anyone else who might need this information. I hope your travels are safe and enjoyable!

John Burns, R.Ph.