Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Default How much ginger?

I bought ginger root tablets from the health foods store to try on my cruise. Can you tell me how much to take and when to start taking them? The directions on the bottle say take two per day as a dietary supplement, but someone else said to take two at each meal to prevent motion sickness. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2000, 04:44 PM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Default RE: How much ginger?

Hi Alicia! Your's is an excellent question regarding using ginger products for preventing motion sickness.

From what I have read, the proper dose to of ginger tablets or capsules to use in the prevention of motion sickness is two tablets or capsules three times a day (so with each meal would make some sense). You should start taking them about two days before boarding the ship, and continue through the end of your cruise.

Be forewarned that some people have complained about the ginger aftertaste when using these products. Every little burp may bring another little surge of "flavor" to your mouth. Chewing a cinnamon flavored gum or sucking on some mints may be helpful if this is a problem.

Does this answer your question, Alicia? Let me know if you want to know more about ginger treament. I'll see what I can find.

Have a great cruise!

John Burns, R.Ph.
Old September 27th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Thank you so much for your reply. I forgot to mention that I bought "concentrated" ginger capsules, 1,000 mg. Would you still recommend the same doseage? Also, what do you think about the chewable ginger candy that can be bought at health food stores?
Thanks Again,
Alicia
Old September 27th, 2000, 04:27 PM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Thanks, Alicia! I guess that I took for granted that only the 500 mg ginger tablets/capsules are available. So, with the concentrated (1000 mg) tablets or capsules, you would only need to take one tablet or capsule three times a day, starting two days before boarding, and continuing through the end of the voyage.

I kinda like the ginger candy, not because it can replace the tablets or capsules, but because I find it settles a queasy stomach just because of its flavor. The quantity of ginger in them is not nearly enough for the prophylaxis of motion sickness...but they taste pretty good, to me.

Have a great, fun-filled cruise!

John Burns, R.Ph.