Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2000, 11:00 AM
JOANN MARRERO

Default ALERGIC TO SHELLFISH

COULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE IF FOOD IS CLEARLY NOTED FOR SHELL FISH CONTENT DUE TO MY ALLERGY. I REALLY WANT TO ENJOY MY CRUISE, BUT I DONT WANT TO WORRY EVERYTIME I EAT SOMETHING. DO THEY HAVE ADRENALINE/ EPINIPHRINE ON BOARD SHOULD IT BE NEEDED- CAN IT BE RETRIEVED IN TIME?

I am cruisng on Carnival Paradise on 10/29
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2000, 07:12 AM
John Burns, R.Ph.

Default RE: ALERGIC TO SHELLFISH

Hi Joann

I don't recall the menus or the buffet lines ever really labeling what the shellfish content of individual selections was. However, it was always clear which items were seafood and which weren't. If you have any question or doubt, it would be prudent to ask for the information. I'm certain that the ship's staff would be quite understanding and accomodating to your concern. When ashore, however, this information may be more difficult to obtain.

Indeed, the ship's infirmary will carry epinephrine to treat anaphylactic (allergic) response. Can it be retrieved in time? I'd have to hedge here...I think so, but the ship is large and full of many spaces. My best recommendation if you are concerned about this, is to get your doctor prescribe you Epi-pen, usually used for bee stings, but appropriate for any anaphylactic emergency. This may be prudent, especially if you plan on disembarking for shore excursions.

I hope this helps your understanding, Joann. Enjoy your cruise!

John Burns, R.Ph.
Old January 2nd, 2001, 02:37 PM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: ALERGIC TO SHELLFISH

Hi John,

As soon as you get onboard, get your tablenumber and go to the head waiter. Tell him about your allergy and ask him about shellfish being in any foods where it isn't apparent. He should be able to help you as well.

Carole