Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2000, 09:03 PM
jean ohio

Default sharps container

Hi, my husband is an insulin dependant diabetic, on HAL ships they provide sharps containers to dispose of his lancets and needles, do you know if other lines also do this? we are booked on Princess in Dec. and Costa in Mar. thank you for iny info you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2000, 10:14 PM
Darrell

Default RE: sharps container

Jean,

I hope I'm not too late. I just found this board.

As a fellow diabetic I can offer a few tips. One would be just to pack them home with you. Have a pouch or a couple of empty 20 oz. soda bottles w/caps to store them for disposal at home. I've also heard of mixtures that you pour in a bottle w/used syringes that hardens around the syringes when water is added. Sorta like plaster of paris. I use an insulin pump so my supplies are not as much. Been on the pump for almost 6 years now and highly recommend it. Probably a max of 3 needles for a week depending on timing and that is taking into account all the extra insulin requirements of a cruise. :-) I usually use 2 a week.

Let me know what you find out on Princess. Also, did your husband make special meal requests? If so, how was the food? I'm sailing the Grand in 32 days now. Enjoy.

Darrell
Old December 16th, 2000, 12:18 PM
jeanuk

Default RE: sharps container

thanks darrell for the info, I found out from Princess that they will dispose of my husbands needles and lancets but we have to bring our own container, I think I`ll improvise re: the container by using some kind of jar with a screw lid, as to a ADA diet, my husband always cheats a little on cruises, he always has the soup, salad and reg. entree, and then has a sugar free dessert and so far it has worked pretty well, stays away from drinks except diet pop, and it has always been ok. Glad that Princess has refrig. in cabins, great for his insulin, keep watching the boards, I`ll post a review when we return, happy holidays and smooth sailing, jean