Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2000, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Eating and drinking..what to avoid while in port

I'm a first time cruiser and going to the Western Caribbean in Jan. Is there anything I need to know about regarding what to avoid to eat and drink while in port? I've already planned on taking my own bottled water..but I would love to eat authentic mexican food..Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2000, 02:27 PM
First Mate

Default RE: Eating and drinking..what to avoid while in po

Avoid drinking anything ashore that is not in a bottle or can, and drink it straight from the container (don't use their glasses and no ice). Beer and Coke for example are pretty much universally available.

Avoid eating at the ubiquitous street carts. Stick to restaurants.

Don't eat any fresh fruits or vegetables (including salsa) that are not cooked and/or peeled by yourself. Tomatoes are infamous for causing problems. Be careful about shellfish too, although shrimp is generally OK.

Also be careful where you swim. I would recommend you consider getting both hepatitis A and B immunizations before you go as the beaches are notoriously contaminated.
Old January 5th, 2001, 11:58 PM
LovetheSea

Default RE: Eating and drinking..what to avoid while in po

We have cruised to the Mexican Riviera and Western Caribbean. The only time we ate in port was at a Mexican restaurant on the beach. But, we ordered it with a Strawberry Margarita to kill the germs
We had a great time in Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel, but ate lunch on the ship. We try to time it out well. We take an excursion in the morning. Come back to the ship eat lunch, refresh ourselves in the cabin for about 15-30 minutes and then go back out and taxi somewhere or shop or whatever until and hour before the ship leaves. This has done well for us on 7 cruises so far! A friend of mine got food poisoning from a pizza stand at Megan's Bay, St. Thomas, and was sick the rest of the cruise. Our next cruise in two weeks takes us to the Eastern Caribbean. We will not give into temptation and eat Jerk Chicken in Nassau
Old January 14th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Babette

Default Re: Eating and drinking..what to avoid while in po

Maay be it is me.. but I have never gotten sick from eating anything in Mexico (knock on wood).. and I've spent considerable time down there.

I will say that some of the worst Mexican food I have experienced has been while in port on a cruise. If you like the real stuff... you need to go into the interior of the country.

Avoid drinks with ice cubes. I don't touch the seafood....nor do I eat leafy greens.
Old January 14th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Passenger

While in Cozumel we enjoyed eating at Ponchos Back Porch. The food was great, excellent service, and the place was very clean!!! Enjoy your cruise!!!
Old March 18th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Bhw

Is the water on the ship o.k. to drink? I drink a lot of water. Should I bring bottled water or can I fill a bottle up from the water in our room?