Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2000, 10:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim
Default Motion Sickness Treatments with Children

We are taking our children (ages 8 & 12) on a cruise around the windward islands in the Caribbean. They have not sailed before. What can I give them to help prevent motion sickness? I have read about ginger. Does this work as well as Bonine or a Scop Patch? Any advice would be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2000, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Default RE: Motion Sickness Treatments with Children

Actually I have the same question, but my daughter is only 4. Is ginger the "best" way since it's natural, or is there something else I can take along just in case. She'll probably have an iron stomach like her father...since going on the Teacups at Disneyland is her favorite thing to do, but I'd like to have something to offer her if the need arises!
Old March 18th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Bhw

What about ginger? Do you take it dry?how much? how often? I have never heard of this.
Old March 19th, 2001, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

We sailed in December. The pediatrician suggested that I use dramamine for our kids (8 & 12). I tried them on some at home first to see if they had any adverse reactions. They were fine. They took a pill each night before bed and never felt seasick. My husband and I took ginger capsules that can be purchased through health food stores (vitamins etc.) They actually had several different types. I bought a capsule that was a combination of ginger and other herbs. We took them 3 times a day and had no motionsickness. We had some fairly rough waters, too! I'd take them again in a minute. No side affects. Go to your vitamin store and ask them. The employees were very knowledgable.