Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Bhw

Default sea sickness in children

We are going on the Victory in April. This will be the third cruise for my husband and myself but the first for our 11 year old daughter.We have never had any trouble with motion sickness but are concerned about our daughter as she has been car sick before. We were told about some kind of pressure bands that are worn around their wrists. They can be purchased at most drug stores for a couple of dollars. But that is all I know. Does anybody have any info on these?
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: sea sickness in children

I have used the seabands for motion sickness and have been very pleased with their effectiveness. We were travelling in the New Zealand Alps and I forgot to take Bonine for car sickness. I put the bands on and they worked. When we were on a whalewatch I used both Bonine (meclazine) and the seabands. I hear ginger tablets work also. I'm planning to use all three for our cruise. You have to use both bands and place the little ball at a point about two fingers up on your inside wrist.
Old May 4th, 2001, 10:32 PM
John Burns, RPh

Default Re: sea sickness in children

Most of the 'clinical' information on SeaBands is anecdotal, but a lot of people swear by them. My best recommendation for the child is the same for motion sickness in cars: most times, if a child can sit near a window, gulp fresh air, and fix on where they are going (i.e., the horizon), you will alleviate a lot of the problems. If' you feel that she needs something else, try the SeaBands, or have her try sucking on some wintergreen or peppermint or spearmint candy (like Lifesavers).

John Burns, R.Ph.