Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Claustrophobia

Help! We will be sailing in Sept. of 2001. The summer of '99 we flew to California & back, no problem. Summer of '00 we flew to Las Vegas, no problem. The return flight, a problem, my claustrophobia kicked in. A nightmare, not even halfway into the flight. Had to rent a car to drive the 5 hours home from Chicago. I couldn't get on the last plane. I haven't talked to my Dr. yet, but will drugs help to calm me for this cruise flight, or do I need a shrink? It'll be our 25th anniversary & I have to go. I love cruising & I really don't mind flying too much.

Thanks,

Tina
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2001, 07:13 PM
John Burns, RPh

Default Re: Claustrophobia

Only a doctor can prescribe drugs which may help claustrophobia, and only a doctor may determine if your claustrophobia is clinically significant enoough to warrant drug intervention. But, to answer your question, yes, people do receive anti-anxiety drugs which may help alleviate the fears of closed spaces. I do recoomend seeing a doctor, and together, determining what is the best course of treatment for you.

I hope that you enjoy your travels!

John Burns, RPh
Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am terribly claustorphobic and it has been such a problem that I have stopped a plane taxiing. It is a terrible feeling. I recently got a prescription for Xanex for flying only and it helped some. I would recommend you asking the Dr. for some. It may help you. I am sooo glad to know that I am not the only sufferer of this condition.

I was considering taking a cruise and wanted to know how you deal with that being claustrophic?
Old May 22nd, 2001, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've cruised twice before & never had a problem with it on board the ship. They are so big!!! But I've also flown before & it didn't bother me, until my last flight. I had a prescription for ***** years before, when I was under some stress, and I wondered if that would work. Thanks! I'll be checking with my Dr. soon.
I didn't think too much of my claustrophobia when we were planning our first cruise in '91, until a friend said " Won't you be on the ship, unable to get off. Isn't that like being contained"? I did worry a little 'before' we went, after that was said. There were no feelings of it on the ship. I sure wanted out of that airplane last July though!
Old November 28th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Passenger

I rec'd my 'script' for ***** on Sept. 10th of '01. Sorry to say that we drove to Miami instead of flying. We weren't sure if our flight would take off. I didn't fill the prescription as we weren't flying. I did feel a little claustrophobic a couple nights, had to open the curtain a little. (Hubby likes the room dark) We are sailing in Sept. on the Conquest & I have a new 'script' for my ***** already. I hope that I won't need it, but I can't take a chance.
Old February 11th, 2003, 10:04 AM
First Mate

I also have claustrophobia and I love to cruise. I was afraid to take my first cruise because the cabin we booked was very small and had no windows, but the claustrophobia didn't kick in. It's never bothered me on an airplane but I don't take elevators at all. When I'm on a big cruise ship and everyone crowds in a small elevator I start to feel anxious, so I always take the stairs. I feel it's good exercise and might help with all the food I'm eating. Also, now I either book outside cabins or one's with a balcony, no more inside cabins, I feel that helps also.
Old October 31st, 2004, 11:18 AM
bpm

I am the same way..Before I fly I get a prescription for Ativan .05 milligrams. This is to prevent potential panic attacks before getting on plane and while in transit. It works for me if taken one hour before flight,, You feel hardly anything.. its like your anxiety level has been turned down a notch or two..I recommend you try it

bpm
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:02 AM
Admiral

We booked a balcony suite as well - if I can't open a window I just won't go. It makes it hard when travelling to places like Vegas as well - all the new places have picture windows that don't open. But a lot of the older places have windows in the bathroom that open - ahhh air! Ativan helps as well. I would much rather take it than ***** - been there done that - even named my lovebirds ***** and prozac during a particularly bad winter lol. Do whatever you have to to make yourself feel better - and enjoy the ride. TTFN Jennifer
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Admiral

Whatever you do - don't book an inside cabin!!

donna