Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2001, 11:58 AM
citygirlmk :o)

Default Dramamine

Does Dramamine have the same effectiveness as Bonine and would I have to take it every day that I'm on the ship? Although this is my first cruise and I don't know whether I'll get seasick, I still want to take preventive measures - just in case.... but would I need to take it every day?
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2001, 10:26 PM
bostongal

Default Re: Dramamine

Hi. I found that Dramamine made me sleepy and that Bonine didn't. I did find that I needed to start a few days before hand and take it everyday, even while in port. Also, ginger capsules or tea can help as well. I like the tea.

I get motion sick in cars, trains, airplanes so I knew that I had to take it. The motion sickness medication works best if you have it in your system before you need it.

Have a wonderful 1st cruise - I believe I saw on another posting that you are going from NYC to Bermuda??? Bermuda is fabulous, we went last fall and are going again this Oct. from Boston. The Atlantic can be alittle choppy so I would definitely be prepared.

Have a great cruise!!!!!
Old July 2nd, 2001, 06:45 AM
John Burns, RPh

In a direct answer to your question, there is no difference in effectiveness in preventing motion sickness between Dramamine and Bonine. The major differences between the two are the prevalence of drowsiness noted with Dramamine, and the fact that you would need to take Dramamine every 6 hours versus once or twice a day with Bonine. While taking the medication during the cruise, you will probably figure out whether or not you will need to continue taking them.

I hope this answers your question! Happy cruising!

John Burns, RPh
Old September 28th, 2001, 08:49 PM
First Mate

Dramamine II is the non-drowsy form and works very well taken as directed, once a day. Don't know where you came up with taking Dramamine every six hours, but that would be terribly over perscribed!